BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn

3 hours ago, Roving Mick said:

I used to think WALPAMUR was named after a place in India, before realising it stood for WAll PAper MAnufactURers.

I wonder if any of the People of Pune think VENKY'S is a part of Blackburn?

During my apprenticeship in the early 80's "wallop them walls" referred to painting with Crown emulsion , term was still used when we switched to another brand. Always puzzled me until I asked one of the older decorators what wallop referred to.

9 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

During my apprenticeship in the early 80's "wallop them walls" referred to painting with Crown emulsion , term was still used when we switched to another brand. Always puzzled me until I asked one of the older decorators what wallop referred to.

Weirdly, I remember people saying put some wallop on it when I was a kid. I just thought it was something strange that adults said.

East Lancs does have a long history with engineering, and aerospace. There are loads of companies no longer around.

It did a lot of work on government contracts and at the time that Margaret Thatcher (bitch) was in power she closed all the mines and then took all the government work off Clayton Goodfellow and transferred it to the North East. We were left with no contract work to do and had no alternative than to bring in the receivers who were unable to save the company.

35 minutes ago, Al said:

It did a lot of work on government contracts and at the time that Margaret Thatcher (bitch) was in power she closed all the mines and then took all the government work off Clayton Goodfellow and transferred it to the North East. We were left with no contract work to do and had no alternative than to bring in the receivers who were unable to save the company.

Was the company linked to the mining industry? Just wondering how it survived prior to Thatcher when the Labour party closed more mines than Thatcher ever did

No nothing to do with mining it was general engineering. We made parts for tanks and other military equipment as well as general engineering. Unfortunately we only had government work in when it was suddenly taken off us.

On 10 April 2018 at 14:24, Al said:

No nothing to do with mining it was general engineering. We made parts for tanks and other military equipment as well as general engineering. Unfortunately we only had government work in when it was suddenly taken off us.

I think I've mentioned before Al that I attended the auction when the assets of Clayton Goodfellow were sold off. We were looking to buy a large vertical boring machine but we got out bid. To be honest unless the more modern machine tools had been disposed of prior to the auction the level of investment on display in the workshops left a bit to be desired.

Nothing unusual for British Engineering companies at that time but my experience was the companies that invested in more modern machinery seemed to survive the down turn better. I attended dozens of auctions over that era, it was always a sad business but C&G was particularly sad for me being a Blackburn lad. Seeing the fixture lists taped up on lockers and the Rovers graffiti chalked up in the workshops.

I always knew it would be my turn one day and eventually I was made redundant also many years later. 

I'm not complaining for myself. I walked into a far more lucrative job at a much more modern start up company in Manchester. The people who suffered were the superb engineers on the shop floor. Bye the way we had just ordered a state of the art CNC machine when Thatcher struck.

Yeah my redundancy did me a favour also. I got out of engineering and spent the last ten years of my career in a really peaceful job as a technician in a local high school. I reckon another ten years in engineering would probably have seen me off.

What happened at Clayton Goodfellow happened all over the country at that time. Lots of blue chip engineering companies went to the wall. Mrs Thatcher had no idea about engineering or manufacturing. Who was it said " We'll let the foreigners get their hands dirty, we'll look after their money " ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• 3 weeks later...

Not that untypical. The LT is a downmarket tabloid albeit it in a different way to the Sun/Star. The latter 2 are national with more trash and smut whereas the LT is local and just badly reported trash without so much smut. The Sun however does at least have some thought behind it's presentation (in some cases) and understands many of it's readers and sometimes reflects national mood. The Star is just downmarket all the way though I suppose it understands it's readers too.

The mid market Mail would use similar headlines though and can't say I disagree really. So would the Guardian with their self righteous, hypocritical stance depending on who it is.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When did Blackburn become so violent? ?

FIVE masked thugs violently smash BMW as child sits in back seat

6 arrests following 'violent knife brawl' outside nightclub

Sounds like one of those London shitholes. Is it safe to go back?

ps - I didn't even know there were any 'nightclubs' in Blackburn any more. ?

Edited by Husky

10 hours ago, Husky said:

When did Blackburn become so violent? ?

FIVE masked thugs violently smash BMW as child sits in back seat

6 arrests following 'violent knife brawl' outside nightclub

Sounds like one of those London shitholes. Is it safe to go back?

ps - I didn't even know there were any 'nightclubs' in Blackburn any more. ?

No there's people with barbed wire baseball bats round every corner and the hospital under siege with countless cases of GBH. All true and not based on a couple of sporadic outbreaks of violence which surely justifies the town being treated as some warzone. I'm a pretty cynical person but not without basis and the town really isn't some violent lawless desert.

Seriously I don't think it's any less "safe" or "unsafe" for an adult (or any other age) than it's ever been in my lifetime. If you're scared to visit the area that's pretty pathetic. I wouldn't have any hesitation visiting London either (including last year) it's not like most people go there to strut around gang infested estates is it? If you want to talk about terrorism think about the odds of being caught up in an attack personally and show some common sense.

Edited by Vinjay17

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

No there's people with barbed wire baseball bats round every corner and the hospital under siege with countless cases of GBH. All true and not based on a couple of sporadic outbreaks of violence which surely justifies the town being treated as some warzone. I'm a pretty cynical person but not without basis and the town really isn't some violent lawless desert.

Seriously I don't think it's any less "safe" or "unsafe" for an adult (or any other age) than it's ever been in my lifetime. If you're scared to visit the area that's pretty pathetic. I wouldn't have any hesitation visiting London either (including last year) it's not like most people go there to strut around gang infested estates is it? If you want to talk about terrorism think about the odds of being caught up in an attack personally and show some common sense.

I dunno man, I keep reading about more violent crime than ever in the LET these days. And stats appear to back that up . . . .

"In Blackburn, figures compiled by national think-tank UK Crimestats, which gathers data from police forces around the country, show a 36 per cent rise in violent crime from March 2017 to February 2018 compared with the previous year. The number of recorded offences rose to 3,828 from 2,811"

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16147989.Violent_crime_is____up_by_a_third____in_East_Lancs/

I'm not sure how to explain a 36% rise and have no reason to try really. Still there's nothing that's put me on greater guard compared to this time last year or 2/3/4 years ago. Still there's obviously more basis in those stats than cherry picking two instances. 

Edited by Vinjay17

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disturbing-footage-shows-spice-addicts-13258684

Is this actually a thing in Blackburn or is it being grossly exaggerated? 

The only time I go to Blackburn is for Rovers and to Soccer Dome...

I don't know about Blackburn, Mill Hill seemed clear of them when I was there the other week but I was in Leeds a couple of months back and the number of addicts in the town centre there was disturbing, I hadn't realised it was spice until I read an article on it and it described perfectly a slow-motion fight between two hobos that exactly mirrored one we had witnessed

12 hours ago, K-Hod said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disturbing-footage-shows-spice-addicts-13258684

Is this actually a thing in Blackburn or is it being grossly exaggerated? 

The only time I go to Blackburn is for Rovers and to Soccer Dome...

Its in every town and city across the country, but Blackburn has had very few reports of this kind in the local press from what I've seen.

Manchester has been the subject of many reports over the past 12 months, a documentary or 2 also, but it's across the whole country because it's so cheap and not heroin. 

I feel sorry for the police, under funded, under resourced and having to respond to spice cases like the one in video when they should be doing real police work.

This country is fecked.

• Like 1

What do people think of this article? Should point out that it wasn't "written by a Muslim" as another site claims. Mentions Halal restaurants once but also developments like the Cathedral Quarter (which is mostly good) it's not about integration, mosques etc unless you're on a site that has a racist agenda. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16893786.opinion-blackburn-is-far-better-than-it-was-15-years-ago/?ref=mr&lp=6

Edited by Vinjay17