BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn

• 5 months later...
On 25/02/2019 at 02:56, Tom said:

Does anyone follow the Lancashire telegraph on Facebook?

Its the absolute pits now, ‘stories’ this week or two have included a few articles that are literally just posts that someone has made on Facebook, for example a Blackburn nightlife group posted a picture of bar life saying who remembers this bar, the telegraph then had an article saying a Facebook post said who remembers bar life!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17422656.for-everyone-who-remembers-dancing-on-the-window-podium-at-bar-life-in-blackburn/

Also we’ve had posts reposting pictures from rate my plate and now we are literally just randomly repeating stories from years ago 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17444065.when-a-new-bq-caused-mayhem-in-blackburn-asda-car-park/

Literally a story saying ‘remember when parking was bad at Asda 15 years ago’

We’ve also had a look back at Diana Vickers career

Rock bottom 

To be fair, those are so bad that they're hilarious.

Who doesn't wish to remember the great Asda carpark scandal of 2004? Or when Marks & Sparks closed down about ten minutes go?

On 26/02/2019 at 14:35, Mattyblue said:

Saw this yesterday. I thought ‘great, it’ll show pics from in there back int day’

No, just a photo of the outside with ‘remember Jumpin Jaks?’

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17449453.do-you-remember-when-jumpin-jaks-was-the-place-to-go-in-blackburn/

That's an article wrapped up and posted in two minutes. Impressive stuff. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/08/2017 at 13:43, Husky said:

I see the 'rail service' between Blackburn and Manchester is still appalling . . in fact it seems to have got even worse.

A 1hr 40min Rail replacement bus service to return later on? Really? It seems they've been doing that for around a decade already. WTF is going on?

FFS! Time flies, I can hardly believe it's been over 2 years and 3 months since I wrote that and it seems Blackburn is still mostly closed to those that dare to chance public transport.

All the destination Clitheroe trains cancelled on Sunday? WTF is the excuse this time?

By the way. I don't think I responded to replies to my original post. I did try that HollyTree Fish and Chips place a couple of time and it was pretty good. Though it was a while ago now - I do hope the portions haven't become 'fun size' recently. It's a pity they don't do deliveries.

Does anyone know what the fish and chips are like on that place on Preston New Road? The Queen Vic. If it's even still open - as the location does seem to suspiciously change hands pretty often (Chinese restaurant, McMahmoods (lol) are 2 that come to mind in recent years).

As previously mentioned. Blackburn is the take-away capital of the UK, yet there doesn't seem to be much quality around.

I'm trying to get my Christmas Dinner sorted out, as I refuse to do any cooking this year ??

Edited by Husky

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

More details here. I'm not entirely sure it's random (if it was we could have been looking at a Hungerford, Dunblane, White District scenario) but the victim was a young law student. Could it be because she was Muslim? Maybe. Without wanting to sound like someone on another forum blaming immigration in the area you could speculate on racial motivation for any random killing. Apparently nobody has been shot dead in Blackburn for over 25 years so it's a bit early to blame "the state of the town" isn't it? The majority of people in Blackburn (non criminals for example) have no reason to feel unsafe as far as I'm concerned. Well apart from what's going on everywhere right now!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-52678348

Edited by Vinjay

7 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

More details here. I'm not entirely sure it's random (if it was we could have been looking at a Hungerford, Dunblane, White District scenario) but the victim was a young law student. Could it be because she was Muslim? Maybe. Without wanting to sound like someone on another forum blaming immigration in the area you could speculate on racial motivation for any random killing. Apparently nobody has been shot dead in Blackburn for over 25 years so it's a bit early to blame "the state of the town" isn't it? The majority of people in Blackburn (non criminals for example) have no reason to feel unsafe as far as I'm concerned. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-52678348

Absolutely.

Blackburn is a pretty quiet and tolerant place really, yes it has its problems, but once you move away you quickly realise its nowhere near as bad as other places around the country, they're shooting each other every week down here in West Midlands.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's got honour killing written all over it  

I must admit that was my first thought too, with some startling similarities between this and the murder of a friend and colleague of mine (also a Salford Uni student) in an 'honour killing' in Blackburn about 35 years ago :( 

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I must admit that was my first thought too, with some startling similarities between this and the murder of a friend and colleague of mine (also a Salford Uni student) in an 'honour killing' in Blackburn about 35 years ago :( 

Green Toyota Avensis gave it away for me....

54 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's got honour killing written all over it  

Occurred to me as well (though I wouldn't say it's written all over it) but the refugee charity mentioned seem certain her family aren't responsible. K-Hod should probably clean up this speculation really. Granted I said it may not be random but didn't claim it's her family either. Can you edit anything before this sentence (including the quote) rather than remove the whole post?

More here. She was Muslim.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18457184.law-student-named-locally-victim-fatal-blackburn-shooting/

Edited by Vinjay

3 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Occurred to me as well (though I wouldn't say it's written all over it) but the refugee charity mentioned seem certain her family aren't responsible. K-Hod should probably clean up this speculation really. Granted I said it may not be random but didn't claim it's her family either. Can you edit anything before this sentence (including the quote) rather than remove the whole post?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18457184.law-student-named-locally-victim-fatal-blackburn-shooting/

For them to say it's not the family so quickly, leads me to believe its probably the family.  My opinion and not the view of BRFCS.COM .

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

For them to say it's not the family so quickly, leads me to believe its probably the family.  My opinion and not the view of BRFCS.COM .

I said they seem certain because of the remarks about the girl and her family being well respected in the community. They aren't quoted as if the first statement made was "it's not her family". Getting a bit conspiratorial if you think there's some community wide cover up.

Edited by Vinjay

19 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

I said they seem certain because of the remarks about the girl and her family being well respected in the community. They aren't quoted as if the first statement made was "it's not her family". Getting a bit conspiratorial if you think there's some community wide cover up.

I'm just going off what it looks like....and the country's various examples of this type of thing.

Normally it is the well respected family trying to keep its "respectability." 

Edited by Sparks Rover

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, Vinjay said:

Thanks for asking for my input, but nobody has posted anything wrong just yet.

In fact, the police have updated the post saying they believe she was an innocent bystander and the intended target was someone else.

Makes the whole thing that much worse, if that was even possible!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

In fact, the police have updated the post saying they believe she was an innocent bystander and the intended target was someone else.

That's manslaughter though. I bet theres more to this.....

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

was supposedly aiming for someone at the tyre place on that street

at least all 3 are in Police custody now

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

That's manslaughter though. I bet theres more to this.....

I’ve absolutely no idea to be honest, just paraphrasing the updated police post from Facebook.