BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Help playing video from Macbook on TV

• Moderation Lead

Hoping someone on here can help me?

I've done a swap with a mate of mine, where he uses my BT Sport log in and I use his Sky log in information for watching football.

Annoyingly, Sony seem to have closed the loophole where you can use Sky Go on PS3/4 and play it directly without paying an extra £10 per month (this also applies through the browser as well as the app on there).

If I play the stream on my MacBook Air, should this work in theory if I then connect to the TV via either Chromecast (which I don't actually have)  or something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThunderBolt-Mini-DisplayPort-DP-to-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-For-Macbook-Pro-Air-iMac-/171858533900?hash=item2803911e0c:g:3ZYAAOSwmrlU12kq

Or is there more to it? The MacBook Air annoyingly doesn't have an HDMI port... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Hoping someone on here can help me?

I've done a swap with a mate of mine, where he uses my BT Sport log in and I use his Sky log in information for watching football.

Annoyingly, Sony seem to have closed the loophole where you can use Sky Go on PS3/4 and play it directly without paying an extra £10 per month (this also applies through the browser as well as the app on there).

If I play the stream on my MacBook Air, should this work in theory if I then connect to the TV via either Chromecast (which I don't actually have)  or something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThunderBolt-Mini-DisplayPort-DP-to-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-For-Macbook-Pro-Air-iMac-/171858533900?hash=item2803911e0c:g:3ZYAAOSwmrlU12kq

Or is there more to it? The MacBook Air annoyingly doesn't have an HDMI port... :rolleyes:

I presume it is the same as Foxtel Go (same company, that is free with subscription etc) It is pretty much locked down to prevent any hdmi or screen mirroring , to force people to get an extra box /multi room etc 

The paid for streaming service which is called foxtel Now over here now allows chromecast

41 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

If he's playing sky go from a web browser, it won't have any way to know he's streaming it to a television.

Beg to differ, lots of DRM protection. Tried on both android and on Windows with a large amount of googling ,same result . Granted it was a couple of years ago and not tried with apple products but think the outcome will be the same.

Maybe  sky go is different but I doubt it as most of the boxes , apps etc are re-branded foxtel over here and are the same as sky

EDIT. Might be some hope for you @K-Hod , thread going on for three years so link is to the most recent posts regarding apple products and foxtel go but might be some useful  info on workarounds LINK

Had a quick google myself and this is the first result that came up, directly from the sky support website - " Chromecast Support for Sky Go if you install chrome cast app on your chrome browser, you can cast whatever your browser shows to your TV including Audio. So whatever your PC is streaming online, you can  cast to your TV".

Apple TV box I use, it's only hdmi and wifi, can mirror screen off iPhone, iPad and MacBook. Also syncs with Apple ID and I think the newer has USB 

Mine is a second gen, you can probably find one sub 50 quid. 

Archived