SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Doncaster Rovers

• Backroom
Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

Raya made one bad mistake 

today's shambles was not his fault

he actually made a couple of excellent saves

He made plenty of mistakes during his brief first team tenure last time too. We can't afford to have a goalkeeper who gifts the opposition goals, we went through that once already with Jake Kean. 

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What have I been saying all week about 3 at the back ? 

Ok it's supposed to be 5 when you don't have the ball except it isn't because the FB's are usually caught forwards then you have the FB chasing back and man nearest in the 3 hesitating whether to come across or not.

Donny offered nothing in attack first half they were a team there for the taking the only sniffs they got was from our lack of idea along the back line and constant giving the ball away. You just knew it was going to cost. Ok manager can't help the individual mistakes or the awaful refs but they stemmed from three at the back. When someone misses his tackle of losses the ball the oppo is away there's no one to cover it's just ridiculous and a crap system, certainly not one designed for such lightweight braindead players in league 1.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Mowbray started with a three at the back system, as he had in the cup win.  But he said that wasn’t the reason for the defeat, saying an inability to defend properly was what cost them.

He added: “I don’t think it’s the formation that is the issue.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15469925._First_of_all_you_have_to_be_solid_defensively_and_we_weren___t____Tony_Mowbray_said_Rovers__defeat_was_self_inflicted/

Stick with the terrible formation from the last two games but drop the striker who scored midweek - logic 

Just now, Tom said:

At one point Dack did a pretend two footer on Samuel 

That sort of slapdash couldnt care less attitude continued into the match as Ward made two unforgivable errors leading to goals and Raya anotber.

Before and after the team as a whole played as if they'd been told they only had to turn up and pass the ball about a bit from side to side and we'd be awarded the 3 points.

Hello!!!

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

That sort of slapdash couldnt care less attitude continued into the match as Ward made two unforgivable errors leading to goals and Raya anotber.

Before and after the team as a whole played as if they'd been told they only had to turn up and pass the ball about a bit from side to side and we'd be awarded the 3 points.

Hello!!!

It was scarily similar to Southend. Can't blame the pitch this time though.

15 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Mowbray started with a three at the back system, as he had in the cup win.  But he said that wasn’t the reason for the defeat, saying an inability to defend properly was what cost them.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15469925._First_of_all_you_have_to_be_solid_defensively_and_we_weren___t____Tony_Mowbray_said_Rovers__defeat_was_self_inflicted/

That in itself is very very worrying. It's one thing identifying players failings it's another when you can't see your own mistakes

Utter shambles. The team and formation today was totally wrong. A team devoid of any technique or skill.

When we play a 3-4-3 it works due to the 3 strikers closing down and pressing high, if Tony is sure in this 3 centre halfs is the way to go, then get some more forwards on the pitch. This keeping possession tippy tapping crap ain't working Tony.

The sight of Derrick Williams trying to take someone one will haunt me for years. What an absolutely dreadful footballer. Player of the year? Someone is have a jolly. 

Danny Graham should be nowhere near the first team, another embarrassing performance from him. Completely lost it. The problems start up top with him, can't  shut down defenders at all.

Whittingham was absolutely totally anonymous, I was pleased with the signing but so far doesn't look up for it. Not sure why Mowbray thought playing 3 centre mids was a good idea.

Mulgrew is a 31 year old that looks like a 36 year old. Never a penalty.

Ward was okay but two errors cost two goals. Can't happen.

Caddis did okay, should have hit the target with his shot.

Bennett was ineffective as usual. 

Positives: Nyambe was our best defender but is still so nervous. Evans and Smallwood did okay. Subs looked good again. Dack at least wants to try something. Gladwin should have scored but for the keeper pulling off a worldie. Samuel did more in 30 mins than Graham has done in 2 games.

Where the hell was Chapman today?

So disappointed.

17 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Worrying. His formation clearly doesn't do our limited defenders any favours 

pathetic performance and Mowbray got his team selection all wrong. Didn't understand why Gladwin and Samuel didn't start

Midfield far too deep and no support to Graham, Full backs too deep and Williams was hopeless. Bennett, Evans and Whittingham were far too deep and no support to Graham and kept coming deep for the ball. easy day for Doncaster. too slow with the ball and never got into the correct areas where chances would be created

Ward and Mulgrew at fault for the 1st goal and why Mulgrew just didn't play the ball forward instead of passing it back I will never know.

Only Smallwood from the starting 11 had any way a decent game. Samuel, Dack and Gladwin had an impact on the game when on. all 3 must start the next game. I would go 4-2-3-1 formation for the next game.

Just now, Reidy You're a Star said:

What a @#/? shambles. Instead of poncing about with fancy 3-2-2-2-1 formations and trying to play Football Manager, get 2 solid banks of 4, 2 up top and out 3rd division the 3rd division. Mincing about like we think we're Barca patentantly isn't working! Useless bunch of @#/?.

Tbis post made me chuckle in tbe midst of my despair.

Well said sir. Succinct , to the point and bang on the money.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

pathetic performance and Mowbray got his team selection all wrong. Didn't understand why Gladwin and Samuel didn't start

Midfield far too deep and no support to Graham, Full backs too deep and Williams was hopeless. Bennett, Evans and Whittingham were far too deep and no support to Graham and kept coming deep for the ball. easy day for Doncaster. too slow with the ball and never got into the correct areas where chances would be created

Ward and Mulgrew at fault for the 1st goal and why Mulgrew just didn't play the ball forward instead of passing it back I will never know.

Only Smallwood from the starting 11 had any way a decent game. Samuel, Dack and Gladwin had an impact on the game when on. all 3 must start the next game. I would go 4-2-3-1 formation for the next game.

In Mowbury and Venky's you trust.

I give up Chaddy you've won with all your bollock* and u-turns.

23 minutes ago, DE. said:

He made plenty of mistakes during his brief first team tenure last time too. We can't afford to have a goalkeeper who gifts the opposition goals, we went through that once already with Jake Kean. 

Excellent save prevented it from being 3 just after their second but then does that but that's what happens when you play with kids in key positions and that's what he is an inexperienced kid, not something you should be trying to build a promotion team on. Same for Nyambe who tried his best today but spent most of it all at sea after being asked to fill in an odd position where no one seemed to know their jobs.

It's quite pathetic really

next game I would go for this formation and team

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan(if fit) Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Evans

Chapman             Dack          Gladwin

Samuel

I think the majority of posters who know the game could cut and paste their posts from the Southend game. Three at the back is completely the wrong tactic in this league but when the manager over complicates the rest of the system with something unfathomable they play straight into the hands of 4-4-2 playing opponents. The number of times Nyambe, Ward and Mulgrew were exposed one v one in the first half should have forced Mowbray into a rethink but he carried on until the game was out of sight. The rest of the team, well I am still struggling to understand two defensive midfielders at home, where the hell was Whittingham supposed to be playing, the wide me didn't know whether to stick or twist and Bennett also looked lost in the debacle that Mowbray created. Danny Graham looked disinterested and his laziness angered a lot of fans. 

I like the honesty of Mowbray but he needs to understand that there is no place for complex systems in league one where hard work, commitment and intensity are some of the main requirements. This slow, sedate, unadventurous  and utterly pointless passing game he wants to play just won't work. He talks about artists and soldiers. In our two league games we have had none.

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

Excellent save prevented it from being 3 just after their second but then does that but that's what happens when you play with kids in key positions and that's what he is an inexperienced kid, not something you should be trying to build a promotion team on. Same for Nyambe who tried his best today but spent most of it all at sea after being asked to fill in an odd position where no one seemed to know their jobs.

It's quite pathetic really

Yep not blaming Raya, he shouldn't be in this position, just as Jake Kean shouldn't have been. We absolutely destroyed Jake's confidence by throwing him into the deep end when he wasn't ready, I hope the same doesn't happen to Raya. 

18 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Utter shambles. The team and formation today was totally wrong. A team devoid of any technique or skill.

When we play a 3-4-3 it works due to the 3 strikers closing down and pressing high, if Tony is sure in this 3 centre halfs is the way to go, then get some more forwards on the pitch. This keeping possession tippy tapping crap ain't working Tony.

The sight of Derrick Williams trying to take someone one will haunt me for years. What an absolutely dreadful footballer. Player of the year? Someone is have a jolly. 

Danny Graham should be nowhere near the first team, another embarrassing performance from him. Completely lost it. The problems start up top with him, can't  shut down defenders at all.

Whittingham was absolutely totally anonymous, I was pleased with the signing but so far doesn't look up for it. Not sure why Mowbray thought playing 3 centre mids was a good idea.

Mulgrew is a 31 year old that looks like a 36 year old. Never a penalty.

Ward was okay but two errors cost two goals. Can't happen.

Caddis did okay, should have hit the target with his shot.

Bennett was ineffective as usual. 

Positives: Nyambe was our best defender but is still so nervous. Evans and Smallwood did okay. Subs looked good again. Dack at least wants to try something. Gladwin should have scored but for the keeper pulling off a worldie. Samuel did more in 30 mins than Graham has done in 2 games.

Where the hell was Chapman today?

So disappointed.

I fear he's just trying to accommodate certain players now and setting up to do so. We've seen how that doesn't work before but Whittingham has to start on the bench he really isn't up to grafting for it sadly. A mid with him, Evans, Dack, just won't work.

Smallwood at least does the graft.

34 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Very worrying to hear

For me today's awful performance is down to mowbray and I think blaming the players is unfair, Derek Williams is not a left midfielder and never should be

3-4-2-1 provided nothing in the first half

the players looked uncomfortable and unsure of what to do, whittingham was poor but he was playing some kind of inside right position

we sat too deep,  graham had no support and can't close down all the opposition defense 

caddie tried to take on his man a few times but he's not a winger

it was all a mess

watching the southend game felt like last season and today felt like the Norwich game except that they were good, Doncaster were poor

i was disappointed no changes were made at half time, at least in formation

then after we conceded tm tried too late to be attacking but instead of a sensible formation we went with swapping a supposed wing back for a left winger (ish) and Doncaster looked like they would score every time they went forward

i know we were chasing the game but it backfired badly

mowbray needs to get his head out of his arse and fast

38 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Raya made one bad mistake 

today's shambles was not his fault

he actually made a couple of excellent saves

He nearly cost us another two goals,  his miss touch nearly went in early on, and then a dropped ball in the area nearly cost another goal, probably the pressure he was under.

if u play 3 at the back u have to play 5 in the middle, 2 up front.  the team must be able to keep hold of the ball and the midfield must be able to both put the foot in and be able to play, the forwards must be able to hold the ball up.  if a team cannot do this 3 at the back will not work

As mince as the formation was all three goals were directly linked to horrific individual errors. Ward letting the ball run under his foot for the first, flying in for a tackle in midfield for the second - leaving Mulgrew exposed, and Raya heading the ball straight to their striker for the third.

Just poor suicidal defending left before our consolation as did many when the third went in. Some good crosses got fizzed in nobody at the end, & all the high balls Doncaster defenders dealt with comfortably. I did predict a good season having my doubts now.

Archived