BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bradford City V Rovers

lraC

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot revisionist history going on here, IMO.

I liked Kalinic but there was very little to suggest he would go on to have this level of success.

Yes he was a technical player, but I remember him as being "tidy" rather than having some sort of magical first touch or fantastic range of passing. Like den, I recall the ball bouncing off him plenty of times (to feet, as well as to head).

For me, he's somebody who has clearly gone away, worked really hard at his game, and found a way of making things work. Well done to him. We've made some big mistakes with letting players go but this one feels unfortunate rather than negligent.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Lewandowski confirmed it in an interview.  He was due to fly over to look around  but due to the ash cloud he couldn't get over.  Then the Germans stepped in.  

Cest la vie.

Even if there was an inkling of truth in it, like Zidane, he would not have become the player he is now if he had gone to Ewood. Especially having hoofed exocets fired at his throat.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lewandowski might have signed for the German side in April 2010 but Sam joined us in December 2008 and I'm sure he was linked in the press with Lewandowski (and a number of other players) some time before we signed Kalinic.

Completely academic now. Bellamy11 has it about right about Kalinic, obviously had some ability but never really showed it here maybe in part due to Sam's insistence in playing him up front on his own to which he clearly wasn't suited. Also his attitude must be questionable as he apparently went on strike to force a move to A.C. Milan so it's by no means certain he'd have been a success had he stayed here.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lewandowski might have signed for the German side in April 2010 but Sam joined us in December 2008 and I'm sure he was linked in the press with Lewandowski (and a number of other players) some time before we signed Kalinic.

Completely academic now. Bellamy11 has it about right about Kalinic, obviously had some ability but never really showed it here maybe in part due to Sam's insistence in playing him up front on his own to which he clearly wasn't suited. Also his attitude must be questionable as he apparently went on strike to force a move to A.C. Milan so it's by no means certain he'd have been a success had he stayed here.

Rev, the evidence(the links I posted) is there to support my previous post. Which is right and exactly the way I remember it. 

I desperately wanted Kalinic to come good. He showed it in flashes, didn't he? He definitely had something about him but never managed to be consistent. Apart from consistently unlucky, maybe. Remember that absolute screamer he had disallowed? Was it against Hull? Honestly can't remember.

Yakubu was class as a one season wonder, though, Highlight of an otherwise desperate season. One from which we have yet to recover.

Archived