BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bradford City V Rovers

lraC

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

An interesting game at Burton last night where Birmingham went in 1-0 at the break having pretty much dominated the match. Burton played a system with three defenders in the first half but Clough dispensed with this and went to a simple 4-4-2. Burton were excellent in the second half and played with pace and intensity that Birmingham couldn't match. Burton won 2-1.

My point is that Clough swallowed his pride and realised his mistake by changing the formation which resulted in three points rather than none. I really don't think that Mowbray would do something similar which is worrying me.

I can't see him doing it either- his L.T. quote about not seeing the formation as a problem said a lot to me. Hopefully Mark Venus has talked him round.  

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days away in the sun has me looking at the world hrough rose tinted spectales.

Providing Mowbray has seen the light and ditches his nonsensical formations and keeps it simple, I can see a surprising (who'd have thowt us saying that in this league) win with our lot at long last hitting their straps.

By the time I'm back in the UK the match will be over and another Rovers' defeat will have me headng to the medics for treatment for sun/ heat exhaustion.

8 hours ago, AAK said:

Bennett was a first teamer in league one under Lambert in Norwich promotion winning season. He can perform in this league.

Been saying all week he should play at RB. We don't have one single decent full back in the first team. Bennett is perfect for full back hard working, will get forward and track back, is very good at tracking with the attackers and has a solid tackle. Also will get forward and put in some good crosses. 

He was a lot younger back then though. It must be at least 5 years since Norwich were in the same league as we are now. 

Off the point slightly- they lost something like 7-1 at home to Colchester, in their first game in this league, and still went back up.

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

An interesting game at Burton last night where Birmingham went in 1-0 at the break having pretty much dominated the match. Burton played a system with three defenders in the first half but Clough dispensed with this and went to a simple 4-4-2. Burton were excellent in the second half and played with pace and intensity that Birmingham couldn't match. Burton won 2-1.

My point is that Clough swallowed his pride and realised his mistake by changing the formation which resulted in three points rather than none. I really don't think that Mowbray would do something similar which is worrying me.

Sat at the game last week at half time I thought after 10 mins of the 2nd half maybe that's what he was going to do to open it up a bit, giving him the benefit of the doubt of course.

35 minutes ago, arbitro said:

His comments in the LT today' quoted in the Mowbray thread, suggest he won't change at all. His lack of Plan B when it went t1ts up at Coventry was an issue apparently.

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You just had to, didn't you Mercer.

I stll think we have some very decent players for this level.

Any half decent manager should be able to come up with a formation and plan that would give us 92 piints over a 46 game season.

If our performance doesn't significantly improve today and we lose again then I would seriously contemplate axing Mowbray.  He's had a full pre season and pretty much a free hand in comings and goings.  There can be no excuses.

Mowbray is no Dyche but has more about him than the lkes of Kean and Coyle and I therefore expect him to start delivering some results soon, beginning today 

1 hour ago, scotchrover said:

He was a lot younger back then though. It must be at least 5 years since Norwich were in the same league as we are now. 

Off the point slightly- they lost something like 7-1 at home to Colchester, in their first game in this league, and still went back up.

Granted yes, mate, still only 28 though, should be in his prime now in terms of performances and fitness.

After they changed manager yes, not saying we should do that, but that's what got them promoted twice in 2 years.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I think this is the most frustrating thing about managers who refuse to change a system because it admits they were wrong.

Kean was the worst for this. I remember a few games where injuries forced us to change system and we improved. The Spurs away game being the prize example how he kept with the 5-4-1 for 70 mins. 

I think its an ego and an insecurity thing. Although the best managers like Jose wouldn't hesitate at changing shape early in the game.

• Backroom

Game day and I feel another loss, that would be huge pressure for mowbray going into the dingle game.

Lets hope we finally turn up today!

In the article about wanting a defender in the LT he mentions a back four, and he did play 4 against Southend so I expect that again.  

I'm hoping the silly talk about formations not mattering was just bluster.  IF he had decent wing backs then 3-5-2 would be okay, we have the forward players to do it but not using Whittingham as the attacking midfielder, Caddis and Williams aren't up to it.

It is as much about mindset as anything (almost), go out on the front foot and stay there.

I'd play 442 as presumably most would.

Raya 

Nyambe Ward Mulgrew Williams 

Dack Evans Whittingham Conway

Samuel Graham

Not sure about Caddis, he might be better but I'd plump for Nyambe for now as we've no pace otherwise.

With Lenihan and Wharton still out Ward is the only option, but if I'd seen more of Doyle and Mulgrew were right footed I'd be tempted to play Williams there.

I've gone for two up top as we need to score and also put defenses under more pressure.  I wouldn't be against having Dack as one of the two playing just behind but I haven't given up on Danny Graham yet and like Samuel's mobility and pace.  I wouldn't want to put Samuel out wide as he was poor there against Southend.

Conway is a fighter and 'should' be good enough at this level.  Dack looked up for it last Saturday and should be able to play wing but I wouldn't mind Gladwin or Chapman, (and although I don't really like him as a player Feeney in theory should be able to do a job, a particular job, right wing in this league) instead if Dack isn't comfortable there.

Most of all I just hope we try and get at them and not sit back like in the first to games, I know Bradford's home record is very good and fear TM is scared again.

1 minute ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

In the article about wanting a defender in the LT he mentions a back four, and he did play 4 against Southend so I expect that again.  

I'm hoping the silly talk about formations not mattering was just bluster.  IF he had decent wing backs then 3-5-2 would be okay, we have the forward players to do it but not using Whittingham as the attacking midfielder, Caddis and Williams aren't up to it.

It is as much about mindset as anything (almost), go out on the front foot and stay there.

Raya 

Samuel Graham

Not sure about Caddis, he might be better but I'd plump for Nyambe for now as we've no pace otherwise.

With Lenihan and Wharton still out Ward is the only option, but if I'd seen more of Doyle and Mulgrew were right footed I'd be tempted to play Williams there.

I've gone for two up top as we need to score and also put defenses under more pressure.  I wouldn't be against having Dack as one of the two playing just behind but I haven't given up on Danny Graham yet and like Samuel's mobility and pace.  I wouldn't want to put Samuel out wide as he was poor there against Southend.

Conway is a fighter and 'should' be good enough at this level.  Dack looked up for it last Saturday and should be able to play wing but I wouldn't mind Gladwin or Chapman, (and although I don't really like him as a player Feeney in theory should be able to do a job, a particular job, right wing in this league) instead if Dack isn't comfortable there.

Most of all I just hope we try and get at them and not sit back like in the first to games, I know Bradford's home record is very good and fear TM is scared again.

Far too soft in the middle with that team I think 

2 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Raya 

Samuel Graham

Whittingham is either unfit or his legs have gone. He would struggle to cope in a two-man centre of midfield away from home.

Mowbray seems to have ruled out two up top.

I'm guessing 4-5-1/5-4-1 today with Mowbray coming out after and saying we played 5 up front.

Today line ups

⚽️ Today's starting line-ups as we take on @officialbantams. ?⚪️ #COYB https://t.co/IMbIoEO9d3

#Rovers starting XI (3 changes)

Raya
Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams
          Smallwood Evans
Bennett Dack Conway
              Samuel

Subs:- Luetwiler Wharton Chapman Gladwin Whittingham Graham Antonsson

Archived