SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bradford City V Rovers

lraC

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't remember him. Was he a samurai? That might be why I missed him. 

I think you know it should have read Yakubu.

as for Niko - 7 league goals in the two seasons he was here. Bought for £6m and left for an undisclosed fee 

as for the quoted £50m fee, would you pay that for a 29 year old Kalinic? I certainly wouldn't taking into account his previous experience in this country.

1 minute ago, den said:

I think you know it should have read Yakubu.

as for Niko - 7 league goals in the two seasons he was here. Bought for £6m and left for an undisclosed fee 

as for the quoted £50m fee, would you pay that for a 29 year old Kalinic? I certainly wouldn't taking into account his previous experience in this country.

Yakubu was brilliant, pity we had him under that goon Kean. 

No I certainly wouldn't pay 50 million for him, although I have seen very little of him in Italy. 

Kalinic was technically very good, he just never adapted his game to succeed in the prem. He is quite similar in style to Berbatov if you watch him now, languid and often looks a bit nonchalant but his touch is excellent. He's done really well at Fiorentina, has been very good considering he's at Fiorentina. Nearly a goal every other game.

I don't think Kalinic age is an issue due to the way he plays, if he was a player who relied on pace then maybe but he isn't. Juve paid 80 odd million for a 28 year old Higuain?

I don't get this view of him being technically good. The ball just didn't stick, he couldn't hold off the central defenders. That was his failing. He therefore struggled up front on his own and didn't have the technique to play deeper. 

maybe we have different ideas of what "technical" means.

I thought his close control was good and he could beat players in confined spaces. Every time he looked like coming good something came along to set him back. He was running Villa ragged in the league cup and then Samba goes and gets himself sent off. 

I thought he could have been another Matt Jansen with the right manager. After all Matty didn't exactly set the World on fire when he first arrived but what a player he became later on when Souey sorted him out.

16 minutes ago, den said:

Are you seriously expecting Milan to base his transfer fee on his time with us in 2011? 6 years ago? :o

Yep, his whole career must be based on a 2 year spell as a young player in a foreign country with a style of play that didn't suit him.

Same applies to Antony Modeste, although he was so poor I was surprised to see him playing at the highest level. He looked like an imposter when he played for Rovers.

4 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Yep, his whole career must be based on a 2 year spell as a young player in a foreign country with a style of play that didn't suit him.

Same applies to Antony Modeste, although he was so poor I was surprised to see him playing at the highest level. He looked like an imposter when he played for Rovers.

Steve Kean 

1 minute ago, OJRovers said:

What is Yakubu up to these days?

Must be nearly 25 now, would be a good loan signing.

He is in West hams academy :lol:

I actually saw him play in the legends competition that Salgado r was playing in too. He could barely move, but scored some deadly finishes 

I thought his close control was good and he could beat players in confined spaces. Every time he looked like coming good something came along to set him back. He was running Villa ragged in the league cup and then Samba goes and gets himself sent off. 

Yep and then he clicked away at West Brom ,scored two then was sent off.Watching that game i thought bang ...he CAN do it.Then the suspension and it seemed like he was back at square one again.

Good to see the highlights- looked like we controlled the game.

With the confidence that should come from this performance and result (we got both which is great), we should be able to kick-on now.

Having won at Bradford, there is literally no fixture in this League we cannot say we are unlikely to win. (Having lost 1-3 home to Doncaster, equualy there is no fixture in this League we cannot say we are unable to lose either...)

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kalinic was good and Big Sam or Steve Kean never played to his strengths didnt they? 

Big Sam paid 6 mil for him then didnt play 4-4-2. 

Sam wanted Crouch or Bent didnt he?

Sam wanted Lewandowski

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought he could have been another Matt Jansen with the right manager. After all Matty didn't exactly set the World on fire when he first arrived but what a player he became later on when Souey sorted him out.

How many times did he hit the post? It must have been some kind of record. I liked Niko a lot and was disappointed when we sold him, he always looked like he had something about him.

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sam wanted Lewandowski

Fable. An unprovable bit of propaganda perpetrated by the fat brown envelope lover

Put it in the same fairytale book as the "we've got sherwood" remark big jack never said in regards to Zidane

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

That was after Kalinic 1st season here. 

Then we didnt sign him cos of the ash cloud. Then Walkers family sold the club to venkys and Big Sam shortly after. 

My recollection was that Sam was interested in Lewandowski sometime before we signed  Kalinic but received no encouragement from the Trust. He was eventually allowed to sign Kalinic with part of the proceeds of the Crocky Santa Cruz sale.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My recollection was that Sam was interested in Lewandowski sometime before we signed  Kalinic but received no encouragement from the Trust. He was eventually allowed to sign Kalinic with part of the proceeds of the Crocky Santa Cruz sale.

Yep, Sam was banging his head against a wall because we'd landed £18 million through City overpaying for Santa Cruz yet the greedy Trust were holding back on reinvesting the money into a quality replacement. As such Allardyce spent the whole summer scouring Europe trying to find a goalscorer available for relative peanuts. His entire summer transfer kitty amounted to about half what we got for Santa Cruz which makes you wonder where the rest went and what sort of budget he would have had from them had Hughes not gone silly with the chequebook at City.

Eventually after the Lewandowski option fell through (volcanoes or otherwise) he settled on Kalinic as his 'big signing'.

Its happen just as well we aren't still in the Prem with the Trust calling the shots because they'd probably still be holding back on the funds whilst Burnley and the other collection of smaller clubs in there spent millions and millions. It was an unconvincing act in 2010 but in 2017 they'd never be able to pull it off. Not with the money floating around today.

43 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Fable. An unprovable bit of propaganda perpetrated by the fat brown envelope lover

Put it in the same fairytale book as the "we've got sherwood" remark big jack never said in regards to Zidane

Lewandowski confirmed it in an interview.  He was due to fly over to look around  but due to the ash cloud he couldn't get over.  Then the Germans stepped in.  

Cest la vie.

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yep, Sam was banging his head against a wall because we'd landed £18 million through City overpaying for Santa Cruz yet the greedy Trust were holding back on reinvesting the money into a quality replacement. As such Allardyce spent the whole summer scouring Europe trying to find a goalscorer available for relative peanuts. His entire summer transfer kitty amounted to about half what we got for Santa Cruz which makes you wonder where the rest went and what sort of budget he would have had from them had Hughes not gone silly with the chequebook at City.

Eventually after the Lewandowski option fell through (volcanoes or otherwise) he settled on Kalinic as his 'big signing'.

Its happen just as well we aren't still in the Prem with the Trust calling the shots because they'd probably still be holding back on the funds whilst Burnley and the other collection of smaller clubs in there spent millions and millions. It was an unconvincing act in 2010 but in 2017 they'd never be able to pull it off. Not with the money floating around today.

Lewandowski move was April 2010..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bayern-striker-robert-lewandowski-remembers-9795204

We signed Kalinic in August 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Kalinić

So I was right before.

42 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Kalinic signing was in  August 2009..

Lewandowski met Big Sam in April 2010. Trust was looking to sell the club by then. 

Archived