BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Matchday Programme

Picked up the first edition of the new Rovers programme on Saturday. The new cover design features an old map of Blackburn and this week had a picture of Danny Graham and Blackburn Cathedral. It seems each edition will feature a different player and 'landmark' of the area on the cover.

Got me wondering how on earth they are going to manage to find 24-26 landmarks from Blackburn to have on each programme cover this season.

Expect to see Darwen Tower, Town Hall, King George's Hall, Railway Station, after that can't think of many other things they could use.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Got me wondering how on earth they are going to manage to find 24-26 landmarks from Blackburn to have on each programme cover this season.

Expect to see Darwen Tower, Town Hall, King George's Hall, Railway Station, after that can't think of many other things they could use.

The Khyber Café, Wainwright Bridge, The M65 Services, a Hole In The Wall cash machine, that metal sculpture with that daft kid he keeps dropping his glove, that metal Bee thing, that one at Junction 4 with that sculpture of the bloke with his arse hanging out, the new fence round the Golden Cup, and one will undoubtedly be the beer garden of Clitheroe Kates. I can't see this being a problem.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Picked up the first edition of the new Rovers programme on Saturday. The new cover design features an old map of Blackburn and this week had a picture of Danny Graham and Blackburn Cathedral. It seems each edition will feature a different player and 'landmark' of the area on the cover.

They manage all that but somehow failed to give any ticket details for Bradford away :blink:

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, meadows said:

Still no Under 21 Fixtures listed. Absolute joke that Rochdale can produce a far superior programme for their 3,000 diehards 

About time Rovers reduce the price on their programmes to £1.50 or £2 rather than £3. Its one thing churning out rubbish but then having the audacity to charge the same as other clubs who put effort into producing their programmes is something else.

If Rovers aren't going to take it seriously then nobody can force them to but they should charge a price that reflects the sub-standard quality. 

As Rochdale and Scunthorpe have shown recently, it is perfectly viable to produce a good quality programme and charge £3 for it even if the customer base is only 3 or 4 thousand. No excuse for Rovers to produce such rubbish with a customer base of 10,000. Just laziness.

Edited by JHRover

It really is woeful. Yesterday they did a 'report' on the last 4 games - MK Dons, Stoke, Rochdale and Scunthorpe - each 'report' amounted to one page, 2/3 of which is covered by a photo, with about 10 lines of a 'report' and the team. 

No fixtures for U23s so clearly they aren't interested in getting more people to Ewood/Leyland to watch.

Worst programme in the Football League bar none.

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Who actually puts it together now?

The infamous Paul Agnew having long departed, plus Alan Yardley's CREATV had to lay off most of their staff this summer with the end of Radio Rovers and big screen coverage.

Neil Yardley?

Apparently put together by some lad in the Community department who seems to have got landed with it and Rob Gill - our head of media.  It's a pathetic excuse for a programme - particularly when compared to the likes of Rochdale, Scunthorpe and Southend, to name but three.  Yesterday reached an all time low with the Leigh Edwards syndicated garbage not knowing the difference between Wimbledon, MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon.  Not sure how Johnny Haynes played for a team in 1950 which wasn't founded until 2002.  I would have thought Mr. Gill would have been embarrassed looking at the product he is producing compared with the rest of the League who are working on smaller budgets and with smaller potential sales.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, J*B said:

If they had any sense they'd make it a download from a Rovers app. Blows my mind that anyone buys paper copies. It'd save a bloody fortune. 

Not everybody uses apps J*B.  I believe some clubs do offer it as an app as well as a paper copy for the 'traditionalists' - a polite term for old gits like me. Ultimately, the product is garbage no matter how it is delivered.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, meadows said:

The only reason I wouldn't actually do that Tony is if the situation is as Parson says, some kid with zero experience and no deep understanding of our club is trying his  level best in demanding circumstances. 

I wouldn't want someone at that stage of their career being humiliated when the blame lies a little higher. 

Parson has mentioned we have a head of media. He's been here quite a few years now but it's a fair bet 95% of fans wouldn't know his name or recognise him in the street. 

I'll make no further comment! 

That is fair enough Jim but if nobody complains then the club will just carry on producing an inferior product which doesn't appear to represent value for money. Maybe one for the Fans Forum to bring up.

Do you know if the club make any profit on programme sales?

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That is fair enough Jim but if nobody complains then the club will just carry on producing an inferior product which doesn't appear to represent value for money. Maybe one for the Fans Forum to bring up.

Do you know if the club make any profit on programme sales?

I wouldnt think they make anything on the actual sale of the programmes but will make money on the adverts that are placed in it.

In the Championship we only produced 3000 programmes per match. Will be even less now.

Lets suppose that out of the 3,000 they produce that 2,500 are sold for £3 each with the other 500ish given out to corporates/players or not sold.

The club will make something on a programme sale. It won't cost £3 per unit to produce a programme. I'd be surprised/bemused if a programme cost more than £1.50 to print/assemble although I know very little of the printing industry. Lets suppose the club 'only' makes £1 per programme sale. If they sell 2,500 per game that's £2,500 before any sponsorship receipts. Over a season that's £60,000.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the club to employ someone on £10-15,000 a year to take responsibility to produce a proper programme. One a fortnight shouldn't need a full time employee. I'm sure there are some Rovers fans who would enjoy preparing a programme if they were paid to do it.

A wild idea I know but maybe if the programme was actually worth reading and contained interesting things then maybe more people would buy them thereby increasing revenues?

I know it got mentioned at a Fans Forum meeting the other year that people weren't happy with the standard of the programme so instead of taking steps to improve it they suggested reducing its size and price. Seems they've managed to reduce the size, but have overlooked a price reduction.