BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Matchday Programme

I collect programmes insofar as every match I go to I buy one, and I've done that for the last 7-8 years. I find it a source of embarrassment that Rovers continue to charge £3 a time whilst producing probably the worst programme in the league.

All the excuses about declining sales, content, difficulties in producing a programme, shifting to digital platforms all fall flat on their face when you consider the quality of programmes on offer at clubs like Rochdale and Bristol Rovers this season in League One.

The only ones that were possibly worse than Rovers' were Blackpool and Fleetwood. Fleetwood produced essentially a leaflet and only charged £1 for it whilst Blackpool are hardly a model club to set our standards by.

How can it be that those other far smaller clubs, with much smaller fanbases and staffing levels, can find the time, effort and need to produce far superior programmes at the same price?

If it really is such a burden on the club to make one then how come every club doesn't take the option of churning out a flimsy cheap effort like Rovers do?

Bristol Rovers as an example - their programme was more than twice the size of ours, packed full of information and things worth reading, including past meetings between the clubs and various bits of trivia. They only charged £3 for it and their gates are smaller than ours - so how can it be worthwhile for them and not for us?

The word is 'effort'. Some clubs take pride in appearance, others can't be bothered with it and do the bare minimum to get by.

• Like 1

In the age of information overload are details of past meetings (particularly when there's excessive promotion of the opposition) and trivia really worth reading? There's a reason trivia is short for trivial. It might be better to produce nothing (at the moment producing programmes is still mandatory anyway) than a flimsy effort for the sake of image though. Perhaps more outspoken columns, etc (could still have a reduced number of pages but the "quality over quantity" approach) but with the manager for instance that's not really his style. 

An example I'll use is the Under 23s. Last season the coverage of their games and results in the matchday programme was appalling. They didn't even bother to display the u23s fixtures.

Now I can understand some people might not be interested in learning about past meetings with the opposition or players who have featured for both, but keeping supporters in the loop with what is happening in the u23s, especially when they are winning the league and need all the support possible, yet the club doesn't even bother to let people know about their fixtures in the programme, is shameful.

If they really treat such things with such contempt then it would be more acceptable to 'do a Fleetwood' and just produce a small pamphlet with the teams and managers notes and charge a quid for it. At least that would be acceptance that the product is inferior and so should cost less. But this continuing to charge £3 in line with the other clubs whilst making nowhere near the effort that smaller and less well supported clubs make, is wrong.

The proof will be in the pudding this summer. Rather than taking steps to improve the product and 'catch up' with our rivals we'll be going the other way and I suspect working towards abolishing the programme or if not then diluting it further.

In terms of making the effort I suspect they could ask any one of numerous retired supporters if they'd be prepared to spend an afternoon every couple of weeks putting together some notes and information together, probably even on a voluntary basis, as plenty of people would enjoy the task of doing it, and would come up with something better than what we had last season, which looked like it had been cobbled together on someone's lunch break.

54 minutes ago, meadows said:

I’ll bet he can spell ‘dinosaur’ however. 

Aren’t the “Premier League Creative Department” engaged full time dreaming up admission prices?

56 minutes ago, meadows said:

Exactly Jack. Written or digital if the people designing, compiling, researching and writing are sloppy, slapdash, prone to innacuraxy, error and a “will this do?” mindset then there is no reason to imagine content will be any way superior whether it’s in the form of a paper programme or otherwise. 

I'll bet they can spell inaccuracy too.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

An example I'll use is the Under 23s. Last season the coverage of their games and results in the matchday programme was appalling. They didn't even bother to display the u23s fixtures.

Now I can understand some people might not be interested in learning about past meetings with the opposition or players who have featured for both, but keeping supporters in the loop with what is happening in the u23s, especially when they are winning the league and need all the support possible, yet the club doesn't even bother to let people know about their fixtures in the programme, is shameful.

If they really treat such things with such contempt then it would be more acceptable to 'do a Fleetwood' and just produce a small pamphlet with the teams and managers notes and charge a quid for it. At least that would be acceptance that the product is inferior and so should cost less. But this continuing to charge £3 in line with the other clubs whilst making nowhere near the effort that smaller and less well supported clubs make, is wrong.

The proof will be in the pudding this summer. Rather than taking steps to improve the product and 'catch up' with our rivals we'll be going the other way and I suspect working towards abolishing the programme or if not then diluting it further.

In terms of making the effort I suspect they could ask any one of numerous retired supporters if they'd be prepared to spend an afternoon every couple of weeks putting together some notes and information together, probably even on a voluntary basis, as plenty of people would enjoy the task of doing it, and would come up with something better than what we had last season, which looked like it had been cobbled together on someone's lunch break.

Fleetwood can get away with producing something substandard not just because of their low fanbase. Assuming they produced something throughout the majority of their existence (and previous incarnations of the club have folded) there's barely anyone who will have collected them. At pretty much every other football league club (Wimbledon and MK Dons being exceptions for obvious reason) there's more fans who will have collected programmes since the 60's, 70's. A lot more who will have programmes from the 90's, etc if you use Rovers as an example.  As for supporters producing content (that's what fanzines are for) that just encourages staff laziness. 

What's the consequences of ending publication? Are fans who have collected programmes for years going to stop going over such an issue? Anyone who's remained after the past few years won't. It might irritate some but overall there's not likely to be any real backlash if discontinued. As the fans forum notes pointed out there's scheduled to be a discussion (of football league clubs) on whether to end the mandatory publication of programmes.

Edited by Vinjay17

• Backroom

Pains me to say it, but some of the best programmes I've read have been the Burnley ones my gf's dad brings home.

It's more like a premium magazine and choc full! Rovers could do with taking their lead. It's shameful to have them bettering us any way.

Just generally a more professional appearance. No need for photos of players or landmarks from Blackburn or silly spray paint effects or scruffy writing all over it.

Blue & White halved cover, Rovers v Whoever, Ewood Park, glossy finish. Save all the silly writing and photos for the inside.

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

As the fans forum notes pointed out there's scheduled to be a discussion (of football league clubs) on whether to end the mandatory publication of programmes.

I believe that discussion has taken place and clubs are no longer compelled to produce a programme. Of course the biggest concern with the bigwigs wasn't further erosion of supporters matchday experience or traditions of the game but whether their precious sponsors would be negatively affected by removing a printed programme with their names all over it. As far as I can see nobody has announced they are stopping doing a programme as yet. Will be interesting to see which clubs decide to do away with it, I bet Rovers are keen to do so.

Yes, the decision has already been made to make programmes optional in the EFL.

The Fans Forum discussion was to talk about improving what those on the Forum agreed was a sub standard product. I think the club recognises that whilst sales are nosediving (mostly because the information is now readily available elsewhere) there are a lot of programme collectors out there. I suspect they move to some form of subscription service i.e. the programme is available to those who sign up in advance. Whether programmes would still be available for sale at games i don't know and whether there will be any changes for the coming season I have no idea. 

This is being erroneously reported in a lot of places, the only thing that has been removed is the compulsory nature of producing match day programmes, the indication from the vast majority of EFL clubs is that they would continue to produce programmes for league games with the potential to do reduced programmes for league cup and checkatrade or a festive programme over Christmas.

22 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

This is being erroneously reported in a lot of places, the only thing that has been removed is the compulsory nature of producing match day programmes, the indication from the vast majority of EFL clubs is that they would continue to produce programmes for league games with the potential to do reduced programmes for league cup and checkatrade or a festive programme over Christmas.

But the fact that clubs have agreed to remove the compulsory nature suggests there are a lot of clubs keen to no longer be bound to produce one and are happy to do away with it. It wouldn't have been passed at the AGM if a lot of clubs weren't happy to remove the obligation, and that's likely because a lot of clubs want the freedom to decide for themselves.

Whilst the majority are indicating they will continue at present, I suspect it is only a matter of time before that changes. The momentum is in one direction only.

If you are a programme collector then the minute some clubs don't bother making one the whole point of collecting programmes is diminished. If Rovers do away with it and 2-3 other clubs do then from 46 matches a Rovers fan might only have 20 programmes to show for the season. Its an incomplete record.

They agreed to have an option, whereas at the moment they have to produce a full programme with a certain number of pages to allow for sponsor requirements and a minimum print run. 

A number of league 2 clubs (probably some league 1 clubs) lose money hand over fist on programmes due to lack of scale and the print cost per programme, if they can find innovative ways to save some money and stay afloat surely having that option is a good thing? 

Rovers will make money on programmes, as long as they continue to do so they will continue to print them.

Considering the appalling standard of our programme it seems rich for Rovers to moan about declining sales and not making money on them. Perhaps if they put some effort into a product that people would want to buy rather than charging £3 for rubbish then sales would increase as would profitability.

• Backroom
12 hours ago, meadows said:

As Mike E says the Burnley programme is in a different orbit to ours, a real quality product,while they are producing pretty trail-blazing digital and subscription coverage at the same time. Their in house TV broadcasts take them into areas we never attempted as a PL club. 

Not bad for a club with a ‘dinosaur’ and another ex Accy Observer lad as Press Officer. 

On top of that, their education courses related through the club (be it football, press, hospitality etc) have made them a genuine top class brand even outside football.

God, I'm off to wallow for a bit :(

• 3 years later...

Too much effort. The club seems to want to avoid any hassle in anything it does. 

So little pride.

There will be non league outfits producing match programmes yet Blackburn Rovers in the Championship can't be arsed.

If it is too much effort to produce a programme what else are they dodging?

Good local firm (Ronset) printed them too, I think. I know they did a lot of other stuff for the club.

Watching a grand old institution that was pulled up by its bootstraps by Jack, after decades of local businessmen doing everything it could for the club, now atrophying rapidly under individuals that couldn’t give a toss.

It’s horrible to witness.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9