BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Burnley

9 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

All things are possible - but happen less and less ...

Not delighted with the Wood signing but the fee is a sign of the ridiculous times football is in. For all you talk about how we've spent this and that - with the recent sales our net spend over the last 12 months (so including last summer) is probably less than 15 million. If the rumour mill is to be believed then we will soon have another central defender, another striker and another centre mid too.

But neither our impending doom as predicted above nor profligate spending on the 'most expensive championship side in history' (I assume whoever said that hasn't looked at boro and their 15 million/65K a week championship striker) will be the difference tomorrow - playing  the best will. May the better team on the day win and everyone who goes get home safely.

It will be on fees spent. I did look at Rhodes, then I looked at Woods, Hendrick, Brady, Cork etc and realised I was right...or will be when you go down this season:)

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2017 at 07:21, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm actually more worried about one of our key players getting injured, than actually beating them. 

MK Dons game on Saturday far more important in my eyes. 

Unfortunately 

Never thiught I'd ever say this but I agree.  What bothers me is if we win the players will rest in their laurels and lose on Saturday. We seem to have a habit of that.

Just now, USABlue said:

Never thiught I'd ever say this but I agree.  What bothers me is if we win the players will rest in their laurels and lose on Saturday. We seem to have a habit of that.

If we win tomorrow we'll wake up on Thursday afternoon with a banging headache but still owned by the idiots, playing MK Dons on Saturday and zillions in debt. Thank you Chicken Chokers.

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Mowbray apparently had no idea about the rivalry between Rovers and Burnley, strange.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/august/i-know-how-important-this-game-is/

Jesus wept, how the hell can he not know about the rivalry?

Its not as if we've been plying our trade in league 1 for the past 30yrs, well that lot has but we haven't.

Get a grip Mowbray :angry:

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Wasting money is a fair point. Sticking in players who don't fit that category just because you don't like them muddied that argument. For those without your enormous intellectual capacity as yourself, obviously. :rolleyes:

The fact is that Bumley have grossly overpaid for Wood. You just like to be contrary. The last time we genuinely overpaid was during the Souness meltdown period.

Who said that? I just listed some of the players, some more memorable than others to make the point we signed loads, with only a few actually performing.

So quick to go on the defensive, you missed the point entirely. 

Really doesn't matter how much they've spent, that sort of money for Chris wood is a joke but so is the whole of this transfer window. My personal opinion is I wished we had swerved this game. If we win what a great springboard, if we lose? Well we're not expected to win. What I'm dreading is they return that 5nil drumming we gave them years back 'Matty Jansen' now that would bring down an awful cloud.  

2 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

The draw for Round 3 of the Carabao Cup is at 415am on Thursday which is 11.15 in Bejing where the Carabao sponsors are.

Will anyone be staying up for it?

If we beat that lot I'll probably stumble in around that time so may catch it! 

13 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

The draw for Round 3 of the Carabao Cup is at 415am on Thursday which is 11.15 in Bejing where the Carabao sponsors are.

Will anyone be staying up for it?

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Good to see football is still for the fans (of other countries)

In fairness,  who would have watched it anyway? I would if I happened to flick it on, other than that... Nah. 

Now if they moved anything past the last 16 draw... 

6 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Dear me, some rank bad uns there!

I'd forgotten about Herold Goulon. He made Ronnie Hildersley look like Messi.

Regarding the fixture;

This is a game v Burnley ffs. Whether it's FA Cup 6th round or a friendly, we should be pouring into Ewood to cheer on the lads.

Our forefathers will be turning in their graves if Ewood isn't full of Rovers supporters.

Stuff whatever competition it is. It's a football match against our biggest rivals. Get on down there!

Sounds from the LT like Dack, Lenihan, Nyambe and Wharton are out, and Conway and Evans may not be risked having just returned from injury. If so, I would play:

Raya

Caddis    Ward     Mulgrew     Williams

Smallwood

Gladwin Bennett Whittingham Chapman

Samuel

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we win tomorrow we'll wake up on Thursday afternoon with a banging headache but still owned by the idiots, playing MK Dons on Saturday and zillions in debt. Thank you Chicken Chokers.

Why u gonna wake up thursday afternoon with a headache? You say we but you mean I. #confused 

Just now, RV Blue said:

Sounds from the LT like Dack, Lenihan, Nyambe and Wharton are out, and Conway and Evans may not be risked having just returned from injury. If so, I would play:

Raya

Caddis    Ward     Mulgrew     Williams

Smallwood

Gladwin Bennett Whittingham Chapman

Samuel

Got tickets for match today.

Will be seriously p___ed off if TM f___s about with the line up.

Can get almost 3/1 on a Rovers' win.  Providing Mowbray does his bit with team selection, fancy a decent flutter on us at those odds.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would just make the 1 change, Graham for Dack, although I'd be tempted to play Whittingham over Evans.

Mowbray has to treat this with 100% priority or face a certain backlash.

Not sure about a backlash. I think most fans hope we acquit ourselves well and don't get key players injured or totally thrashed in the process. I'm resigned to a probable defeat and hope for an unlikely but potentially exciting cup upset.

Whatever happens, so long as they turn up on Saturday against MK Dons and bag 3 points.

We love to beat them and they have always been more obsessed by the fixture than us in recent years.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Got tickets for match today.

Will be seriously p___ed off if TM f___s about with the line up.

Can get almost 3/1 on a Rovers' win.  Providing Mowbray does his bit with team selection, fancy a decent flutter on us at those odds.

Decent odds that. Was going to go myself but decided its much less effort to come on here and say napm. Ironically.

The only thing Venkys have not yet delivered is a hammering from Bumley. I think we've had pretty much every other humiliation and reason to hate them.

Conversely, tomorrow is a chance to turn the tide of recent history. Extra time will give us some pride back. Penalties are a lottery so are only really a brag for the underdogs.

A sign of how far we have fallen is that holding them to only winning by one goal will feel respectable. All the pressure is on Bumley tomorrow but if we go 3-0 down in the first half things could turn ugly - or likely see humiliated walk-outs.

16 minutes ago, meadows said:

Leon Best?

David Goodwillie.

To say the last time we "genuinely overpaid" was Souness era, is absolutely ridiculous in hindsight of that 2012/13 season alone. 

Cameron Stewart? Who on earth...?!

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

It makes you wonder how much money they've given to the EFL; a lot, I would imagine.

Can't say I normally catch cup draws live, so I'm not selfishly bothered, but any stipulations of an English competition being given preference to Chinese audiences because of the sponsor aren't right. Can't blame Carabao for this; the blame lies solely at the feet of the EFL.

Assuming my assumptions are right. ^_^

Archived