BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Burnley

55 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We made 5 changes to the starting 11 that won at Bradford. The joke is that under the old Checkatrade Trophy rules we would be in line for a fine for fielding a weakened side!

They've relaxed the rules a bit this season but we still have to play at least 4 from the previous starting 11 so I wonder who the lucky 4 will be to play Stoke's reserves next week?

Caddis, Ward, Williams & Smallwood.

• K-Hod unpinned this topic
  • Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gav said:

You clearly think we're better than we are.

The players did ok against Premiership opposition, but got shown up for what they are, 3rd division players.

The sooner posters/fans buy into the fact we've got bang average players, playing for a bang average manager, and we've not got a god given right to win matches the better.

You misunderstand me Gav. I clearly think the opposite. We're looking at the same page from a different angle.

I've spent all summer saying that the squad is poor and the players are poor whilst people told me TM was building the best squad in League One.

The first two games showed us that they aren't anything like. That some of the players we brought in are fairly poor.

However for some reason people think that the Burnley game didn't show that as being the case because we were playing "Premier League players".

The squad is now a decent league one squad that a decent manager might make contenders for promotion - a situation entirely the fault of the owners.

17 minutes ago, Hasta said:

You misunderstand me Gav. I clearly think the opposite. We're looking at the same page from a different angle.

I've spent all summer saying that the squad is poor and the players are poor whilst people told me TM was building the best squad in League One.

The first two games showed us that they aren't anything like. That some of the players we brought in are fairly poor.

However for some reason people think that the Burnley game didn't show that as being the case because we were playing "Premier League players".

The squad is now a decent league one squad that a decent manager might make contenders for promotion - a situation entirely the fault of the owners.

Apologies, I read what you said yesterday and today as the opposite Hasta.

I couldn't agree more with the above.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We made 5 changes to the starting 11 that won at Bradford. The joke is that under the old Checkatrade Trophy rules we would be in line for a fine for fielding a weakened side!

They've relaxed the rules a bit this season but we still have to play at least 4 from the previous starting 11 so I wonder who the lucky 4 will be to play Stoke's reserves next week?

After what Huddersfield did last season, tell the EFL to F off! Play the u23s.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

That's a bit rich. We are playing an U23 side. It's immoral to think that we could be fined for fielding our U23s.

I was actually hoping we would.

Football is a mess.

2 hours ago, thorpefleet said:

We are 3 games in and we seem to be on Tony's case .I understand we have had our funds mismanaged from The glorious Years of Jack Walker and we will probably never see a team and Backroom staff as strong for sometime , but seriously a new squad which yes Tony picked , However I doubt any manager can turn a team around from last season in such early stages .

Yes we should be better(understatement) and I agree with a lot of comments on both sides but can we give Managers at least till Christmas before giving them such a hard time, let them do the job they have been brought in to do.

We all know where the problem lies and I feel it will take a little longer before we can Judge Tony .

Yes, we are on his case - and nothing to do with the debacle of Venkys misrule either. 

Firstly there have been numerous muck ups this season: the baffling tactics and selections vs. Dingles and Donny, the no show vs. Southend, buying players who don't seem to fit with the system (we want one formation to be wing backs and we bring in Caddis? We want to play 1up top and bring in a bloke from Leeds who can't play the lone striker?) Given TM has had free reign to assemble a team he wants in his style on a healthy/generous budget in this league - having already had the back end of last season at the club to assess things - a decent start is not unreasonable. However, as I've tried to stress it's the performances and decisions that're getting fans on his back, just as much as the results.  

As for not hitting the ground running - well I know the quality was a lot better, but Souness had a similar settling in period and hit the ground running in his first full season (albeit with a very talented and under performing squad.) How about the impact Rowett had at Birmingham, or Warnock at Cardiff last year? Or Big Sam taking over from the Ince debacle? I appreciate all these examples had higher quality players than us but then the opposition was also of a higher quality? The idea that a manager can't hit the ground running is a fallacy, and there are many examples that prove this. 

Having said that, again, it's not just the results - although Donny at home takes the biscuit - but the manner of the losses and the baffling decisions he keeps on making. Still plenty of time to turn it round, but worryingly TM seems a slow learner. 

Just now, Stuart said:

That's a bit rich. We are playing an U23 side. It's immoral to think that we could be fined for fielding our U23s.

I was actually hoping we would.

Football is a mess.

The biggest joke being that our own U23 side is of equal status to Stoke's and arguably of better quality having hammered Wolves and Reading recently and yet aren't allowed to enter this competition despite competing well in it last season, meanwhile our first team is expected to play a side that our U23s will be lining up against later this season.

Ludicrous. Football is run by imbeciles.

I half want us to take this competition seriously with a view to winning the competition and having a day at Wembley. Bristol City went all the way and did the double the other year so I don't believe it necessarily is a problem.

I feel like a cartoon character that's been punched and is spinning and seeing stars when I read 'circular' threads like this.

Forgive me, when I was at Ewood on Wed. I couldn't get to the turnstile for the queue of exceptional managers lining up to join us.

To cut to the chase, are we REALKY saying that if Mowbray wins tomorrow, which makes it 6 from possible 12, with a team (whether it's good or bad!) that hasn't yet gelled is grounds to sack him. Really?

Versus Coyle 2 points from possible 21 in first 7 league games.

Not to mention Sheff Utd. having 1 point from possible 12 after first 4 games last season and winning League.

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The biggest joke being that our own U23 side is of equal status to Stoke's and arguably of better quality having hammered Wolves and Reading recently and yet aren't allowed to enter this competition despite competing well in it last season, meanwhile our first team is expected to play a side that our U23s will be lining up against later this season.

Ludicrous. Football is run by imbeciles.

I half want us to take this competition seriously with a view to winning the competition and having a day at Wembley. Bristol City went all the way and did the double the other year so I don't believe it necessarily is a problem.

The need to link U23 competition to academy status and not first team division.

OR... they need to bar non-PL teams from Cat 1 academy status, and force the likes of the Venkwipes to invest in the first team if they want it.

The current situation is untenable. The FA isn't fit for purpose and is incapable of governing football in the 21st century.

The Checkatrade cup experiment is being done to pave the way for the Premier league teams to have B teams in League's 1 & 2. The PL have league clubs over a barrell as they rely so heavily on the solidarity payments from the prem and will eventually have to succumb to the pressure of allowing it to pass, as they have with the checkatrade cup. None of the FL clubs want U23 teams in it, however they want the solidarity payment so are in a catch 22.

Man Yoo or Liverpool B teams playing at Southend and the likes in the league will probably draw in full houses also SKY will be lathering all over it so the only times some lge 1 or 2 teams get live games will be when these lot visit. Probably invent some more stupid kick off times so they can still show Leeds every week as well.

All about the £££££.

Ah yes Leeds, on TV again this weekend at Forest. 3rd league game out of 5 that they have been broadcast live on Sky.

To the more eagle eyed observers:

BSKYB once owned a substantial shareholding in Leeds United prior to them going bust in 2004.

Sky Bet have their national HQ in Leeds.

Sky Bet have engaged in sponsorship deals with Leeds United despite being the League sponsors.

Sky Sports select Leeds for live broadcast most weeks of the season pouring fortunes into their revenues.

Conflict of interest anyone?

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46353

Great article on the nonsense the League Cup has become. The video of the R3 draw is priceless.

Amazing to think how that shaun Harvey got the gig in the first place, everything that bloke touchs turns to shi#. 

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46353

Great article on the nonsense the League Cup has become. The video of the R3 draw is priceless.

Good find. The draw was a farce. At least two ties cocked up by Salako and the vidi operator.

Just goes to show the, let's call it, imbalance, in football. Huddersfield cheating the rules and throwing a match undermining competition in one of the richest leagues in the world - no consequences at all - only bazillions in prize money. Luton Town, meanwhile, use the fifth rare competition as an opportunity - and win (!)...

Having forced the B Team/Under 23 nonsense on the competition with the carrot of some big attendance pay days for the likes of Accrington should they happen to draw Man Utd at any stage, he quickly found the biggest Premier League teams didn’t want to be in it and so teams were left playing glamourous matches against youth teams from Norwich and Swansea infront of attendances smaller than the collective squad numbers of the two teams. Oh, and I say youth teams - Harvey said the move would "assist the development of the very best young players in English football" - Charlie Adam played for Stoke. Luton Town, meanwhile, who did use the trophy to give game time to some of the players from their excellent academy set up, and beat Premier League West Brom doing it, were fined for fielding a weakened team.

@#/? scandalous.

The FL clubs should have rejected the blackmail "offer" and stood together. Would the EFL really let them ALL go bust?

It's no wonder the likes of Venkys can get their talons into clubs. The authorities are just as bad! :angry: 

This was when they used to sponsor the League Cup with a bit of style:). The '92 Rumbelows sprint challenge from Wembley feat. some quick footballers, John McCririck, Steve Cram, Elton Welsby, Lineker, J Charlton, some dodgy looking bookie and the Flying Postman from Swansea. Brilliant!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Struggled to find a thread to post this in but...

Given that @BarristerSecret and @Barristerblog are tweeting about the law on sex with animals, here is an important story which I hope @MichaelLavery1 will confirm as true
Defendants who have admitted a criminal offence are sometimes able to ask for other offences to be taken into consideration. A burglar caught for one burglary might volunteer that he has committed others so that he can wipe the slate clean. This is known as a TIC.
Some years ago, a defendant appeared before a Northern Crown Court (Burnley, I think) to face an allegation that he had sexual relations with a sheep.
The case caused some amusement and the parties in the case tried very hard to keep a straight face.
The indictment was put and the defendant pleaded guilty - admitting his woolly sexual liaison. The Judge, managing to keep his composure, began to make directions for sentence, at which point the defendant put his hand up and asked:
"Can I TIC a chicken?"
The court descended into such a fit of giggles that the Judge had to excuse himself from the bench.

I don’t think the gulf is near the one you opened up - your facilities and ground still had over 2 decades of Jack and Premier League investment whilst we wallowed in the lower leagues. Get promoted this year and you are back on our coat tails - another good season next and a bad one for us and you are above us in the league again.

I lived that gap, trust me you’ve a way to go before it’s comparable.

Archived