BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan aka Orville

Just in case members of our forum remember Jordan, a huge Rovers fan from Harrogate. I bumped into him at Harrogate versus Chorley match on Tuesday night, he looked fit and well and is clearly enjoying his role as the Harrogate cheer leader and super fan. Considering he had been ill previously he looked a picture of health and his lungs don't appear to have been affected !

I tried to get to him to have a chat but he was otherwise engrossed with the local north yorkies !

Remember him well. I can see how you can go from being a fanatical Rovers fan to being no fan at all{ i.e. totally disillusioned with what Venkys have "achieved" and what the football authorities have allowed them to do) but I can't see how you can go from being a fanatical Rovers fan to being a fanatical fan of any other team.

Sorry, that's just me.

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Remember him well. I can see how you can go from being a fanatical Rovers fan to being no fan at all{ i.e. totally disillusioned with what Venkys have "achieved" and what the football authorities have allowed them to do) but I can't see how you can go from being a fanatical Rovers fan to being a fanatical fan of any other team.

Sorry, that's just me.

Love and heartbreak can do that to some.  Everybody reacts in different ways. Bit extreme really though. 

I do remember a guy at school, when we were 16, who was a toss pot. He was a massive man yoo fan, apparently his bedroom looked like the club shop (minus all the camera flashes from visiting tourists). Bedcovers, curtains, lamp shades, probably wallpaper (seriously who at 16 has that? It reminds of that Alan Patridge sketch; "I'm your number one fan Alan!") Though this story was different, man yoo were winning stuff.  It was around 93 if I remember. He decided to support Arsenal. Probably much to his parents dismay.  

As said previously he was a tosspot, so didn't keep in touch, but I wonder if he stuck with them for the glory years! :lol:

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Love and heartbreak can do that to some.  Everybody reacts in different ways. Bit extreme really though. 

I do remember a guy at school, when we were 16, who was a toss pot. He was a massive man yoo fan, apparently his bedroom looked like the club shop (minus all the camera flashes from visiting tourists). Bedcovers, curtains, lamp shades, probably wallpaper (seriously who at 16 has that? It reminds of that Alan Patridge sketch; "I'm your number one fan Alan!") Though this story was different, man yoo were winning stuff.  It was around 93 if I remember. He decided to support Arsenal. Probably much to his parents dismay.  

As said previously he was a tosspot, so didn't keep in touch, but I wonder if he stuck with them for the glory years! :lol:

I'm from Wigan. The amount of people who supported man u and Liverpool ( wallpaper and all) then had season tickets and Wigan shirts for the few years they were in the prem was frightening and now they all have there red top back on whether it be united or Liverpool. I watched these people when Wigan played united in the Carling cup final shouting and cheering Wigan then a few years later sit at the dw screaming for united to win the league their. Ive never understood it, nor would I want to. 

he was a former fan of the year (I know as I went to the end of season awards with him). 

I copped a lot of flack on Facebook last season due to not really attending much anymore. Years ago I was doing the 7 hour return trip to ewood on a regular basis and also doing a lot of European games as well. I'm now married with two young children and it's not something I can really do any more. 

Last season I had a season ticket at my local club, Hereford. The difference between me and Jordan is that I don't have that same feeling of watching Hereford. It's just not the same. Rovers will always be my first choice. I will aim to do a few more games this season (already done Coventry away).

So in short I can see why he's watching footy closer to home (he also has two young kids and he's had his share of health issues) but I can't share the same excitement of watching my local team. 

31 minutes ago, Ricky said:

he was a former fan of the year (I know as I went to the end of season awards with him). 

I copped a lot of flack on Facebook last season due to not really attending much anymore. Years ago I was doing the 7 hour return trip to ewood on a regular basis and also doing a lot of European games as well. I'm now married with two young children and it's not something I can really do any more. 

Last season I had a season ticket at my local club, Hereford. The difference between me and Jordan is that I don't have that same feeling of watching Hereford. It's just not the same. Rovers will always be my first choice. I will aim to do a few more games this season (already done Coventry away).

So in short I can see why he's watching footy closer to home (he also has two young kids and he's had his share of health issues) but I can't share the same excitement of watching my local team. 

I often ponder what I'd do if Rovers cease to exist.  There's no way I could support and feel passionate about another team. I'd probably end up watching my local team Glossop North End. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I can't imagine ever feeling the emotions I've felt with Rovers. 

Must admit I struggle with the whole concept of supporting a team outside of my home town. Certainly for anyone old enough to decide for themselves.

It'd be like supporting Germany or Spain instead of England.

You don't have a choice where you are born and your team is your team.

I'm glad Jordan found something to be passionate about - although it makes a mockery of 'fan of the year' awards. A very divisive trophy if ever there was one!

This is the Venkys legacy though. Sticking up two fingers to fans while buying terrible football and relegating us - twice! Is it any wonder (non-Blackburn) Rovers fans are disillusioned? The only reason I hang about is because it's my home town club. If Rovers ceased to exist I'd pack in watching football completely.

• Moderation Lead

I'd never watch anyone but Rovers, but I just feel absolutely nothing for Accy Stanley (hometown team). 

I know there are many others like me in Accy who feel the same way re Rovers and indeed Burnley. 

I met Jordan once so can't claim to know him. I think though his disappearance from Rovers pre-dates Venkys by some years. I think his move away from Rovers was related to his health issues and not football.

Blaming Venkys may be barking up the wrong tree. 

Not sure you can say Jordan winning fan of the year at the time he did was anything short of well deserved. As I recall he'd done something in the area of 300 consecutive games, possibly more, throughout the European years as well. He was extremely dedicated. 

I would imagine the same thing happened that happens to plenty of others - when you're in your early 20s, have a full time job, no wife and no kids you can spend every spare penny you have on following Rovers. Then you grow up, get married, have kids and a wife to support and spend time with. If you live in Blackburn, fine. Going to Ewood takes up a few hours of your Saturday and you're back home in time for tea. Those that live further afield don't have that same luxury. 

I'm glad to hear he's doing well. He was a really nice lad in my experience and very dedicated to the club. Even if he didn't know how to spell Orville. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I met Jordan once so can't claim to know him. I think though his disappearance from Rovers pre-dates Venkys by some years. I think his move away from Rovers was related to his health issues and not football.

Blaming Venkys may be barking up the wrong tree. 

Is Rovers worse for your health than Harrogate? :) 

6 hours ago, Ricky said:

Don't get me wrong Dan, I do enjoy watching Hereford on a Saturday but like you mentioned it's more just enjoyment. I spend the whole game checking the rovers score.

Since moving over here been going to watch Perth Glory and a local State League side occasionally, a totally different feeling attending matches to following Rovers home and away. There is not that ingrained passion that there was with/is with Rovers.

Take my father in law to the Glory matches who's in his 80's (he's been attending Glory since their formation in the mid 90's) and meet up with the brother in law, so its more of a social thing and sometimes entertainment, not sure I will carry on going if anything happens to the FIL though, even after eight seasons there is not that attachment to Glory. Probably doesn't help that the "local derby " is a mere 2600 kms away so away games a no go

I wasn't actually criticising him. If he's fallen in love with another club, then good luck to him. Personally I couldn't do it.

But, once again, it shows how far we have fallen, there's another 2 kids who won't grow up Rovers fans.

And on and on it goes.

• Backroom

I'm 'lucky' in that Rovers are my local club and I can walk to Ewood from Cherry Tree.

However I just don't have a passion for football enough these days to even consider watching another club, when people mention watching Darwen, Chorley, Bamber Bridge etc I struggle to get enough motivation to even muster a 'meh' - not for me, Rovers or (and these hopefully aren't prophetic words) bust!

A few years back I used to travel to Blackburn on the train from Manchester. I got talking to a young lad whose family were all die hard City fans. This was when City were really struggling. He was a die hard Rovers fans and just had the club crest done on his arm as a tattoo. He'd gone to the 2-0 Burnley game on his own from Manchester !

i didn't see him for a while but my lad was in touch with him and suddenly he told me he'd starting supporting City. This was when we'd just got promoted and City were garbage !

I hate Venky's with a passion and what they have done to our club. Despite that, I was hiding behind the sofa, the dog and anything else I could find yesterday, praying for us to hold on. If you really love your club, you just always will, simple as that.

49 minutes ago, lraC said:

I hate Venky's with a passion and what they have done to our club. Despite that, I was hiding behind the sofa, the dog and anything else I could find yesterday, praying for us to hold on. If you really love your club, you just always will, simple as that.

Not true. Love sometimes involves pain and sacrifice.

23 hours ago, Ricky said:

Exactly the same for me. A game at Ewood was a 400 mile round trip for me. I'm a bit closer now....maybe 300 mile round trip but I have a family now, I also help out with the locals kids taekwondo on Saturday mornings. Things change. I pop in  to see my local club cheltenham every now and again but there is no emotion there. Just watching the football.

Archived