BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Nuttall

Stuart

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

He's not.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15683508._He_feels_really_comfortable_here____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_believes_Joe_Nuttall_is_at_the_right_place_to_maximise_his_potential/?ref=mac

Strange comments.

"If Joe keeps scoring goals at the rate he is then the phone will ring and we will have to decide whether we offer him a new deal or do we take the money and find another striker that is better so we take that and spend half on that player? Football is a business”

We'll get a lot less for him if he isn't under a long-ish term contract.

At least it clears up that it was Johnson who brought him to the club.

Strange indeed. Although I'm not going to be concerned unless it gets to February and there is no new deal 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's the option for the club to extend for another 12 months built to the deal he signed then presumably that can just be triggered without offering a new contract? If so I guess you could read TMs comments as saying that we're not going to lose him on a free at the end of this season so we can afford to see how he does over the rest of the season?

10 minutes ago, AspRover said:

If there's the option for the club to extend for another 12 months built to the deal he signed then presumably that can just be triggered without offering a new contract? If so I guess you could read TMs comments as saying that we're not going to lose him on a free at the end of this season so we can afford to see how he does over the rest of the season?

The  problem is Nuttall might get a better offer elsewhere towards the end of the season and might be able to walk away regardless of whether we offer him a bumper new deal. If Nuttall is happy here  then now is the time to offer him an improved deal. He came in as an U23 and he's made it into the 1st team in 3 months. Most clubs reward players like that a new deal based on their rapid progress and the fact their orginal contract would not have been on favourable terms for a 1st teamer. If you're banging them in on £1kpw but there's a bloke on the bench who is waste of space and on £10kpw you rightly wouldn't be happy.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

The  problem is Nuttall might get a better offer elsewhere towards the end of the season and might be able to walk away regardless of whether we offer him a bumper new deal. If Nuttall is happy here  then now is the time to offer him an improved deal. He came in as an U23 and he's made it into the 1st team in 3 months. Most clubs reward players like that a new deal based on their rapid progress and the fact their orginal contract would not have been on favourable terms for a 1st teamer. If you're banging them in on £1kpw but there's a bloke on the bench who is waste of space and on £10kpw you rightly wouldn't be happy.

I mean, I agree with you. I was just trying to work out the thinking behind the quotes in that interview.

If we have the option of another year then surely there is no need to rush or worry that he gets a better offer, which I personally don't think will come soon enough to worry about.  If he's still performing in February look at it then, for now, keep him hungry, let him prove himself more than a flash in the pan.

He looks like he has the knack of getting in the right place at the right time but it's early days and his all round game is nothing to write home write home about, I'm not having a go, I'm hopeful that he'll fulfill his potential but he's still a little raw.

1 minute ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

If we have the option of another year then surely there is no need to rush or worry that he gets a better offer

Of course there is. Unless it says he can't talk to other clubs if the club had an option to extend?

We'll nothing for him if he walks away. Always get you best players under contract for as long as you can.

• Backroom

I'm intreagued as to why Mowbray thinks he can sign a better striker for half the money we sell Nuttall for and if that player exists why didn't we get him in summer?

39 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Of course there is. Unless it says he can't talk to other clubs if the club had an option to extend?

We'll nothing for him if he walks away. Always get you best players under contract for as long as you can.

I think the option of the 1gear extension is in the clubs hands?Not 100% sure but I think the player has already agreed to the deal but it's up to the club if they want to excerise the extension by a certain date

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm intreagued as to why Mowbray thinks he can sign a better striker for half the money we sell Nuttall for and if that player exists why didn't we get him in summer?

I don’t know whether Mowbray can sign a better striker or not. For me though it’s clear Nuttall is one of those players fans clutch at when things look bad.

He’s still got a great deal to prove and personally I’d put a motivated Danny Graham in the team every time ahead of Nuttall. I fear Joe is being built up in to something he may not be - and we’ve seen a lot of this at Ewood over the years. 

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Half of nothing? I think he meant half of the fee he would eventually be sold for. Strange comment nevertheless.

Mowbray does himself no favours with comments like this. What does it say to other youth players?

For me it says: you aren’t going to get a chance as long as I’m manager - unless I have to begrudgingly put you in because a few fans start asking questions.

Joe is 20, Graham is 32. I know who I would be investing in and trying to develop - and that’s ignoring his contribution to our upturn in form, and his goal record this season.

According to transfermarkt he’s valued at £45k. Good luck getting in better for half of that, Melton. :rolleyes:

Just now, Stuart said:

Mowbray does himself no favours with comments like this. What does it say to other youth players?

For me it says: you aren’t going to get a chance as long as I’m manager - unless I have to begrudgingly put you in because a few fans start asking questions.

Joe is 20, Graham is 32. I know who I would be investing in and trying to develop - and that’s ignoring his contribution to our upturn in form, and his goal record this season.

According to transfermarkt he’s valued at £45k. Good luck getting in better for half of that, Melton. :rolleyes:

Joe's worth persisting with in my opinion. I just think he's not quite up to starting games at this level.

We’re having the same conversation in two threads...

Not sure it matters if you start him or Graham but I think that Nuttall’s greater mobility and hunger will do more damage and benefit Graham off the bench than the other way around. Until today, Graham has had a poor season by his standards. He did well when he came on but that doesn’t mean we should be immediately dropping Nuttall.

Just now, Stuart said:

We’re having the same conversation in two threads...

Not sure it matters if you start him or Graham but I think that Nuttall’s greater mobility and hunger will do more damage and benefit Graham off the bench than the other way around. Until today, Graham has had a poor season by his standards. He did well when he came on but that doesn’t mean we should be immediately dropping Nuttall.

Does that mean you'd play him up front on his own again or in tandem with Samuel ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Does that mean you'd play him up front on his own again or in tandem with Samuel ?

He is probably our most effective loan striker but if there’s no reason he couldn’t play alongside either Graham or Samuel.

Not sure where you are going with this. I rate Nuttall highly and have done all season. Not sure why you think that because he didn’t score today that he deserves a place on the bench.

Just now, Stuart said:

He is probably our most effective loan striker but if there’s no reason he couldn’t play alongside either Graham or Samuel.

Not sure where you are going with this. I rate Nuttall highly and have done all season. Not sure why you think that because he didn’t score today that he deserves a place on the bench.

He's only a youth making a big step up and playing two games a week. Maybe giving him a rest would do him good. It seems to have worked for Samuel.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's only a youth making a big step up and playing two games a week. Maybe giving him a rest would do him good. It seems to have worked for Samuel.

Not sure what “would do him good” means though. Do you not feel he has been effective?

Results seem to suggest otherwise. Granted, Mowbray, seems to have no problem with changing a winning team but personally I think if it’s working leave it.

Just now, Stuart said:

Not sure what “would do him good” means though. Do you not feel he has been effective?

Results seem to suggest otherwise. Granted, Mowbray, seems to have no problem with changing a winning team but personally I think if it’s working leave it.

But you could argue that the " winning team " was the team that finished the game and not the one that started it.

Personally, the players that have been playing well recently mean that the formation picks itself and doesn't really lend itself to Nutall starting, as he's not a natural one-up-top sort of striker. He's better in a 2 which means either moving or dropping Dack, who's been our best player of late. Or, playing a 3 man midfield with Dack in behind 2 strikers, which means Antonsson and Bennett get dropped, both of whom are playing well.  Having too many players playing well is a good problem to have though.

Archived