BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Nuttall

Stuart

17 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is it only me that thinks a man who has been playing football everyday probably from the day he could walk, been trained by the best with all the best facilities with a couple of seasons playing first team football should be ready whenever the chance comes. This he's only 20 . He's physically mature and not a kid. I think he should be judged the same as any new signing of any age. 

I agree with you absolutely, but you can't expect him to be a complete footballer at 20. He still has to learn so much and that will come through experience. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is it only me that thinks a man who has been playing football everyday probably from the day he could walk, been trained by the best with all the best facilities with a couple of seasons playing first team football should be ready whenever the chance comes. This he's only 20 . He's physically mature and not a kid. I think he should be judged the same as any new signing of any age. 

Couple of seasons playing first team football is a bit of a stretch. He's been in and around squads, but never anything which constitutes a run playing professional football.

I'm thinking of how long a run Bentley needed for Rovers before he was really delivering for us. Clearly had it in his makeup to be a player, but was months and months before he was anything like polished. 

On 2017-11-26 at 07:16, blueboy3333 said:

What a stupid argument. So because nobody had heard of him but most now quite like him we shouldn't be upset if he goes because we didn't know anything about him when he came.

And Mowbray didn't find him, Johnson did. Which doesn't say much for Mowbray's signings if the 1st choice is someone signed for the U23's by the U23 manager.

Personally I was impressed when I read Mowbray OK’ed Johnston’s reco without seeing the player. Trusts him and gives him real responsibility - good man management. 

And I for one hope that Nuttall ISN’T first choice until he learns how to play the lone forward role. Bringing him on as part of a two or even three up front seems ideal for now.

We are the lad’s 5th club including loans, I don’t think he can complain at his progress here so far.

17 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

We are the lad’s 5th club including loans, I don’t think he can complain at his progress here so far.

He's 20. He's had a couple of loan spells for a month at Scottish League clubs. His only real club before us as a senior has been Aberdeen from the ages of 18-20. Whatever progress he has made has been earned from banging them in for the U23's. That's how it should be.

17 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

And I for one hope that Nuttall ISN’T first choice until he learns how to play the lone forward role..

Aye, because Graham and Samuel have been sensational this season.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think it was a joke...based on the fact some have said the same about Nuttall after the match he didn't score.

It wasn't because he wasn't scoring. As far as I'm concerned it was because he been working hard without much end product. Playing up front on your own can be a thankless task if the service is poor. A break will do him good, giving him the last 15 minutes last night was also a good move. Anybody who was there like to comment on how he performed in that brief spell ?

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It wasn't because he wasn't scoring. As far as I'm concerned it was because he been working hard without much end product. Playing up front on your own can be a thankless task if the service is poor. A break will do him good, giving him the last 15 minutes last night was also a good move. Anybody who was there like to comment on how he performed in that brief spell ?

It’s the third time I’ve seen him play (after Bury & Bristol Rovers) and it was the best performance out of the three imo. He competed with the defenders better, as well as holding the ball up and bringing  others in to the game far more even in just 15mins than in the other 2 games combined. In particular, he played one exquisite through ball to Dack (I think) which probably should have led to a goal. 

All that said though, I still think Graham showed why he should be starting ahead of Joe at the moment - he was a real handful for the defenders throughout, bullying them, winning headers, holding the ball up and allowing us to play in their final third - without really looking threatening himself, but I think that will come. I know as a defender I’d much rather face Nuttall than Graham at the moment.

The other thing that worries me about Nuttall (having only seen him the three times as I said) is his composure in front of goal. He had one half-chance last night, a header at the back post which he should have either headed back across the keeper or across the box for a teammate, but he just put a tame effort well wide. He also had a pretty glaring miss against Bury & had a total airshot against Bristol when the ball bounced to him in the area from a corner. Even the goal he did get against Oxford was a miss-hit which fortunately bobbled in. Hopefully it’s just nerves or inexperience and he’ll settle down - he’s scored plenty in the u23’s so he must have something about him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Makes sense. I doubt it is on an unreasonable salary.

Definitely makes sense too get him tied down. He's not ready for first team football here if you ask me but he's definitely got a lot of raw ability and potential. If it was up too me I'd loan him out for the rest of the season now. League 2 or conference where he can start every week and hopefully flourish. 

6 hours ago, Butty said:

Definitely makes sense too get him tied down. He's not ready for first team football here if you ask me but he's definitely got a lot of raw ability and potential. If it was up too me I'd loan him out for the rest of the season now. League 2 or conference where he can start every week and hopefully flourish. 

There'd be no point loaning him to the conference. With what, 5 in 15? Could surely get a loan in League 2 at least. I imagine we will keep him as a backup though (although Armstrong can play up top, so if we do end up signing another winger we may have the cover there we need).

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There'd be no point loaning him to the conference. With what, 5 in 15? Could surely get a loan in League 2 at least. I imagine we will keep him as a backup though (although Armstrong can play up top, so if we do end up signing another winger we may have the cover there we need).

Maybe the Conference would be too much of a step down but definitely regular league two football would do him good, with Armstrong Samuel Graham and Antonsson also too come back from injury we definitely have enough cover up top, and for me although Nuttall certainly has a lot of potential he's nowhere near ready to be playing for us regularly in league one yet from what I've seen. Give him to Stanley for the rest of the season and let him fire them to promotion ;) 

6 hours ago, Butty said:

Maybe the Conference would be too much of a step down but definitely regular league two football would do him good, with Armstrong Samuel Graham and Antonsson also too come back from injury we definitely have enough cover up top, and for me although Nuttall certainly has a lot of potential he's nowhere near ready to be playing for us regularly in league one yet from what I've seen. Give him to Stanley for the rest of the season and let him fire them to promotion ;) 

I reckon loan him to Fleetwood after the game.

A higher level for him to play at, will be our sleeper agent against our competitors, and then we can sign Devante Cole so I’m sure he’ll get a start!

1 hour ago, JAL said:

How much is he on ?

Does Mowbray get a percentage ?

He gives all his money to Tony and Tony hands him back a bit every now and again for sweets. A quarter of midget gems please he says on Joe Nuttall Street to the shopkeeper that used to be there, and some Uncle Joe's Nutalls please, sir. Lovely stuff.

Archived