BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FROM THE ARCHIVES...

A great watch. British players everywhere and some meaty challenges going in. Today's Carlos Kickaballs would be crying like little girls and the refs would be stopping play every two minutes. Good to see the wingers getting round the back. None of this sterile, chess-like cr*p being played, you know, across the back, opponent facing you, turn round, back to the keeper, roll the ball out, opponent facing you, so back to the keeper, roll it out, down the left, across the back and repeat, repeat, repeat. Thank you Venky's.

• Like 5

Two things in particular occurred to me looking at that. 

1. Alan Shearer was pretty rapid before that first knee injury wasn't he?

2. I wonder what the some of the experts on this message board would have thought of Chris Sutton, on the evidence of this game?

• Like 1

On 21/08/2017 at 04:59, blueboy3333 said:

A YouTube collection of our favourite games. Feel free to add your own:-

Norwich home 92/93. Cowans, Richard Brown (!), terracing, halfway line flags, Wegerle, Sutton, Tommy Ball's adverts, proper challenges and going top of the league.

Great memories. How I loved 'old' Ewood with a decent crowd on.

The sub-titles were superb :) Colleen Hendry, Sharon/Sara/ Sherriff aka Shearer, Mens, Rigilio and Rightly amongst the many classics.

19 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Two things in particular occurred to me looking at that. 

1. Alan Shearer was pretty rapid before that first knee injury wasn't he?

2. I wonder what the some of the experts on this message board would have thought of Chris Sutton, on the evidence of this game?

Shearer had genuine pace before that injury. Ewood saw the best of him. We were blessed.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Shearer had genuine pace before that injury. Ewood saw the best of him. We were blessed.

We were. I bet that it took Butterworth a long time to get over that game. Man handled from beginning to end by a relative youngster.

I was at the game and didn't know until watching those highlights that both Wegerle and Shearer missed absolute sitters that could have made it even more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Up there with the greatest ever Rovers games. From abject despair when Kevin Bacon/Bowie lookalike and future scout Tommy Johnson scored to complete and utter elation when Speedie bagged his brace. I was sat in the Riverside straight across from where Newell started his mazy dribble for our 2nd.

Amazing game!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff. It's like another game completely. They should show the current crop of players films like this so they know you can actually pass the ball forwards most of the time. Having said that when you only have one up front who is there to pass to ?

Today a left footer like Scott Sellars would be playing on the right wing and coming inside into trouble most of the time instead of getting around the back of teams and creating havoc.

Look at the pitch, the current lot can't even pass the ball on a bowling green, what they'd be like on pitches like that I shudder to think !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 08:15, Claytons Left Boot said:

A great watch. British players everywhere and some meaty challenges going in. Today's Carlos Kickaballs would be crying like little girls and the refs would be stopping play every two minutes. Good to see the wingers getting round the back. None of this sterile, chess-like cr*p being played, you know, across the back, opponent facing you, turn round, back to the keeper, roll the ball out, opponent facing you, so back to the keeper, roll it out, down the left, across the back and repeat, repeat, repeat. Thank you Venky's.

Not sure whether Venky's know football from cricket ; Guardiola and the advent of the Champions League takes most of the blame for this. One reason why I switched the TV off when his Barcelona were on and rarely watch the CL now. . Boring, dull, repetitive and not how football should be played. 

• Like 2

On 07/09/2017 at 15:14, Give 'Em the Axe said:

To continue the Howard Gayle love-in from the Rochdale thread:

If you watch Garner' s second goal, the pitch side photographer captures his celebration after the knee slide (around the 3min 48 sec mark).That very photograph is the one shown on one of the various navy blue t shirts sold in the club shop a few years back with the number '10 Garner' on the back.

I have the t shirt but had to stop wearing it on match days a couple of years back as we always lost!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Not sure whether Venky's know football from cricket ; Guardiola and the advent of the Champions League takes most of the blame for this. One reason why I switched the TV off when his Barcelona were on and rarely watch the CL now. . Boring, dull, repetitive and not how football should be played. 

Effective though and he has adapted a style that works in England by the looks of it

Agree though, I couldn't watch his Barcelona either