BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers (may) have the option to postpone Fleetwood game

If Corry Evans is called up to the N. Ireland squad (surely likely if fit), Rovers will have the option of calling off the Fleetwood game, which has been picked for coverage by Sky, as Mulgrew and Leutwiler have already been called up.

What do we think? I would certainly be fine with it as Fleetwood will be a tough game at the best of times, nevermind being without two key players.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

If Corry Evans is called up to the N. Ireland squad (surely likely if fit), Rovers will have the option of calling off the Fleetwood game, which has been picked for coverage by Sky, as Mulgrew and Leutwiler have already been called up.

What do we think? I would certainly be fine with it as Fleetwood will be a tough game at the best of times, nevermind being without two key players.

We should definitely take the option of calling it off. Mulgrew and Evans are arguable or 2 best players. 

• Backroom

If we have the option we have to take it but I'm betting we won't! 

They need to consider the fact that I can't make the current fixture 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

And forefit the Sky dosh? Cheston won't be requesting a postponement, I'd wager.

It shouldn't even be up for discussion. If we are missing 3 players then the game should be called off.

The only problem here is that Rovers have gone gung ho and agreed to Sky TV coverage on the Sunday. This complicates things as there was an occasion last season with Charlton where they had agreed to Sky coverage and then had players called up and it couldn't be postponed. Clearly as Sky rule English football what they say goes and if they want a certain game on to broadcast they'll get it.

Of course we should try and fight Sky Sports, they knew when picking the fixtures this might happen and they're only putting us on because their favourites (Leeds/Boro/Derby) are out of action that weekend and so they're trying to get the next best thing for their precious coverage. One of the rare weekends when Sky actually take a serious interest in League's One and Two.

I bet whoever agreed to it from Rovers wouldn't have been aware of this situation developing. Who actually deals with this sort of stuff or is it just an email from Sky saying what is happening and Rovers just go with it?

I expect Rovers will do as they are told, take the money and shut up, even if that means damaging our promotion prospects by playing Fleetwood with a weakened team.

I bet whoever agreed to it from Rovers wouldn't have been aware of this situation developing. Who actually deals with this sort of stuff or is it just an email from Sky saying what is happening and Rovers just go with it?

Probably the same person , who employed Coyle !

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Probably the same person , who employed Coyle !

Yep. Email comes in from Lancashire Police ordering 1/3 of Ewood Park shut down for the derby game and it happens no problems. Email comes in from Sky Sports wanting a game on tv and it happens with scant regard for implications down the line. Email comes in from individual(s) in the shadows and the Neil Warnock deal is off and Owen Coyle's being paraded around Brockhall as the outstanding candidate. Email comes in from somewhere and players get sold at the 11th hour despite the manager being led to believe otherwise.

This was the topic of a conversation coming back on Saturday. We are short of quality centre halves, will have no experienced keeper back up and arguably our best central midfielder too. For any normal club it would be a no brainer but for people like Cheston money talks. Ultimately the decision should be the managers but it wouldn't surprise me if the Indians, suitably advised, pull rank on Mowbray.

2 hours ago, meadows said:

The point Sharpe is making is that Rovers HAVE guaranteed provision for the game to be called off. I'll believe it when I see it but his reputation as a reporter will be shot if it isn't the case, as will the football secretary's 

IMV, 'Sharp' by name but certainly not nature - the most light weight and naïve reporter I can ever recall covering Rovers for LT.

Jack Walker will be spinning in his grave thinking Rovers need to cancel a fixture against Fleetwood Town because we've three players missing.

20 minutes ago, McClarky said:

Just play the game I say and take the sky money. We need it.

Too risky imo we need strongest possible team every league game. We need to bonce back to the championship first time or it could be decades away. 

Given the choice its a nobrainer.  Call the game off.

Maybe not the popular opinion but I'd be tempted to play it, not only for the cash which will obviously come in handy, but also for the fact we've plenty of games coming up, including FA Cup first round sadly!!  I'd be concerned as to when we are going to fit it in personally.  

5 hours ago, Manchester Blue said:

Maybe not the popular opinion but I'd be tempted to play it, not only for the cash which will obviously come in handy, but also for the fact we've plenty of games coming up, including FA Cup first round sadly!!  I'd be concerned as to when we are going to fit it in personally.  

This. Also, it's only 3 players missing. Are some of our fans honestly not confident of beating the mighty @#/? Fleetwood because of a meagre 3 players missing... wow, shows how far we've fallen. Seriously. Just go ahead and play it. 

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, MikeRovers said:

This. Also, it's only 3 players missing. Are some of our fans honestly not confident of beating the mighty @#/? Fleetwood because of a meagre 3 players missing... wow, shows how far we've fallen. Seriously. Just go ahead and play it. 

Tbf, Mulgrew and Evans are 2 players who are only here because of heir injury records. Otherwise they'd be in the Championship or even lower PL.

8 hours ago, MikeRovers said:

Are some of our fans honestly not confident of beating the mighty @#/? Fleetwood because of a meagre 3 players missing... wow, shows how far we've fallen.

Couldn't agree more. Not sure why some fans aren't confident about opposition like that. You'd think we'd have been beaten by the likes of Southend or Doncaster recently!

I think the Bradford win is getting to some people's heads.

8 hours ago, MikeRovers said:

Fleetwood are above us in the league and to willingly play them without key players is gross stupidity in my opinion. We are short of centre halves with Wharton, Lenihan and Nyambe struggling with fitness which could mean just having Ward available. Mowbray has been saying for some time now that we need more players in as the squad is light on numbers. To go into an important game knowing your team is weakened whilst spurning the opportunity to do something about it is amateurish.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Fleetwood are above us in the league and to willingly play them without key players is gross stupidity in my opinion. We are short of centre halves with Wharton, Lenihan and Nyambe struggling with fitness which could mean just having Ward available. Mowbray has been saying for some time now that we need more players in as the squad is light on numbers. To go into an important game knowing your team is weakened whilst spurning the opportunity to do something about it is amateurish.

The arrogance we had preseason is creeping back in after one win, you'd have thought we'd have learned our lesson.

Archived