BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2017-2018

16 hours ago, philipl said:

Spuds fell. A combination of giving two goals away in the first 11 minutes out of 180 and sandwiching Juventus with Rochdale scaring them home and away for 120 minutes at least.

Liverpool and City limp into the next round courtesy of huge first leg performances away.

Man U and Chelsea could very easily fall to their Spanish opponents so chances are England will have just the two in the last eight.

Hardly. Their ties were over after the first leg. Both second legs were a run out for those that needed it with a view to not getting anyone injured.

14 hours ago, wolfie said:

How bad were United? Made N'zonzi look like Iniesta. United extremely poor. You can just about excuse the negative tactics if you're winning. 

United are a club with no direction and in the middle of an identity crisis.

On a side note, will be interesting to see how city do if they come up against Real or Barca

Mourinho has a style. It served him well at Porto, Chelsea, and Inter. Defensive solidity, expert tactics, and a backs to the wall mentality. He didn't last long at Real as they are the kings, and need to act like it. It's the same with Man U. They have to dictate to others. His perceived negative football isn't being handled well. He got it spot on against Liverpool, granted their full back helped, but he got it badly wrong last night.

Neither Pogba or Sanchez are Mourinho players. I'm starting to think that Sanchez, for all his skills, hurts teams rather than helps them.

Chelsea need a result tonight. Not many expect them to get it. It won't be a Barcelona walk over though.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen far to much La Liga football this season for one reason or another, and despite being well beaten on the night Chelsea put up more of a fight than most and 3-0 flattered Barca.

They linked up really well at times with some fast one touch football only for Giroud to give the ball away time and time again. William is a quality player, ran Barca ragged at times with his runs and touches, but ultimately beaten by Messi, the best player in the world and Conti will probably now lose his job over the defeat, unless Theresa May expels Roman from the country in the next few weeks....

4 hours ago, Gav said:

I've seen far to much La Liga football this season for one reason or another, and despite being well beaten on the night Chelsea put up more of a fight than most and 3-0 flattered Barca.

They linked up really well at times with some fast one touch football only for Giroud to give the ball away time and time again. William is a quality player, ran Barca ragged at times with his runs and touches, but ultimately beaten by Messi, the best player in the world and Conti will probably now lose his job over the defeat, unless Theresa May expels Roman from the country in the next few weeks....

Although all the paper talk today is of Messi and Barcelona's brilliance I, like you, think that a 4-1 aggregate score doesn't give Chelsea enough credit. Daft mistakes cost them in both legs. They were the better team at Stamford Bridge. A sloppy pass gifted Messi an undeserved goal which completely changed the dynamic of the 2nd leg.

All 3 goals last night involved a Courtois error. Add in Fabregas being at fault for gifting Messi a free run for the 2nd, and the full back playing an awful pass for the 3rd equals a 3-0 score.

The tie was lost after the equaliser at home. Scoring 2 in Barcelona isn't easy especially with an out of form Morata or a not good enough Giroud up front.

The last 8 will see some big games. I'd like City and Liverpool to be kept apart, and I have a feeling that the UEFA microwave will see to that.

• Backroom

Big week ahead there for city and Liverpool 

Wednesday - 1st leg

Saturday - Liverpool play Everton and City play United 

Tuesday - 2nd leg

Humiliating for United that city may not have the league won but may play a weakened side against them to ensure players are fit for the champions league 

I don't usually watch the Champions League until the Semi Final stage, but I think I'll make an exception for that Liverpool-City tie. I actually fancy Liverpool to beat City at home but not sure if they'll have enough over 2 legs.

Barcelona and Bayern received the better end of the draw.

One guarantee of City-Liverpool is an English team in the semi's.

My predictions are always wrong but I do think that City have too much for Liverpool over 2 legs.

Interestingly, both teams have derby games in between the CL fixtures. If City win all their league games until then they have the chance to be crowned champs if they beat Utd. Liverpool play Allardyce's Everton at Goodison. City play on Saturday, Liverpool on Sunday.

5 hours ago, philipl said:

The only way there was going to be an English semifinalist.

If Arsenal negotiate a way past CSKA, there's going to be an almighty fight for third place in the Premier League!

Why? If Arsenal win the EL we'd have 5 spots. If Arsenal win the EL and either City or the scousers win the CL we will have 5 spots.....top 4 and EL winners 

4th place would only miss out if Arsenal win the EL and Liverpool win the CL but finish 5th. I suppose the 5th place finish could happen, but CL winners? Not a chance.

11 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Why? If Arsenal win the EL we'd have 5 spots. If Arsenal win the EL and either City or the scousers win the CL we will have 5 spots.....top 4 and EL winners 

4th place would only miss out if Arsenal win the EL and Liverpool win the CL but finish 5th. I suppose the 5th place finish could happen, but CL winners? Not a chance.

My mistake.

The proposal to cap qualifiers for the Champions League from any one association at 4 was replaced by a cap of 5.

17 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

So, if Liverpool and Arsenal win both Euro competitions but finish 5th and 6th, who loses out? 4th place?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like it's already done and dusted for 2 teams in the quarters.

Bayern beat Seville 2-1 away. Meanwhile in Turin, Real powered past a lacklustre Juventus side 3-0 with Ronaldo scoring a beauty.

I am biased but I think that Man U and Spurs would have put up better fights than the teams that knocked them out.

I am looking forward to Liverpool v. City. Barcelona should have no problems with Roma.

4 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

It will be 'perfect' for UEFA with the whole Catalan independence thing up in the air adding a different angle. It'll be something to make a bland half hour documentary, sell advertising space to Chinese betting companies and make the Ronaldo and Messi fan boys jizz their pants. 

I'm no fan of UEFA but look at 2010-2011. Messi and Ronaldo were there then as well and the Catalan/Spain issue goes back decades. Nothing in England comes close on a political/cultural level. Clubs at this level shouldn't be frightened of anyone anyway. I can't understand why people openly admit they would rather be kept apart from certain clubs its showing weakness. There's going to be major obstacles in the way and in a knockout competition odds aren't as major a factor. Well besides the period when Spain won 3 in a row but that was an exception. Its the only reason why England could have any realistic hope this summer. Not because of a great manager but because of the format. 

Of course Barcelona should have a problem with Roma. Just as City should have a problem with Liverpool and Bayern with Sevilla. Anyone of the remaining clubs is capable of winning it besides Juventus in all likelihood at this point.

Anyway people should talk about the whole "Champions" authenticity before being paranoid about fixed draws, etc. Or was the 2010-11 draw just a smokescreen so they could use it as "evidence" when fixing it next time?

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Nah, it'll be two out of Man City, Real Madrid and Barca. This competition is almost as predictable as the Scottish Premier league. Man City and PSG only crashed the party because they are owned by slave owning Arabs with the kind of oil money that could run sub Saharan Africa for decades.

You don't give Bayern a chance? They were robbed last year against Madrid. They were on the wrong end of some questionable refereeing decisions.

Liverpool can beat anyone on their day. But to get to the final they need to overcome a flying City over 2 legs, and then do the same to another talented outfit. I can't see it happening.

No chance. The refs will fawn and let off Real Madrid or Barca for all sorts, and they'll lose. Their only chance is if they meet Man City or Liverpool in the final, then the ref may not be so biased to give a foul when their opposition trips over a blade of grass. Bayern would have to absolutely mince everyone.

14 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

No chance. The refs will fawn and let off Real Madrid or Barca for all sorts, and they'll lose. Their only chance is if they meet Man City or Liverpool in the final, then the ref may not be so biased to give a foul when their opposition trips over a blade of grass. Bayern would have to absolutely mince everyone.

I can't argue with that. You're right. Barcelona and Real are the recipients of so many decisions in their favour.

Archived