BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v MK Dons

10 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Antonsson needs game time. He hasn't been playing regularly at Leeds, but Mowbray has obviously seen something in him.

But to say that Samuel doesn't offer anything is plain wrong. He's got goals (4 in 6 this season), works hard, and has some Rooney-esque "passion". More of the same please!

Didn't say he offered nothing as a whole (it will take him time) but he didn't work the keeper unless he was trying to cover antonasson he was probably knackered from playing midweek. 

Antonsson I just thought looked lost. 

But as above hopefully he will continue to get goals. I hope Mowbray has another replacement limed up if graham does go 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, USABlue said:

Players will have bliwn off dingle loss as jusy a loss to a prem team.  Still feeling pleased with themselves about the win over Bradford.  Add to that Dacks injury and we have another excuse in these players minds.  I really expect another half hearted lacklustre display and another defeat,  Two gifts to them against one if our three shots on target going in.  2-1 to the team formerly known as the Wombles.

Shows my supreme knowledge of football don't you think.

Just now, Irishrover213 said:

But as above hopefully he will continue to get goals. I hope Mowbray has another replacement limed up if graham does go 

I think Graham's replacement was already playing today...

But it's irrelevant, really. If Samuel continues this form, he'll be twice the player Graham ever was for us. Gets onto the pitch, younger, maybe hungrier... These are these are the sort of players that have to kick the team out of this comfort zone of low expectations.

Excellent all round performance, simple 4-4-2, good pressing, Smallwood, Evans, Mulgrew, Ward, Samuel and Caddis all very good, wingers impressed as well, good goal by Williams but not a fan overall, makes too many errors.

Chapman was really bright and effective, Gladwin doesn't look like a footballer, shouldn't be anywhere near the team, and special mention to Antonsson who missed 2 guilt edged chances and in general followed on from Wednesday as the most ineffective and pointless striker ever, why Graham didnt feature I'll never know

A flattering scoreline but I thought that was a good performance and a further chink of light. I really like Samuel, he looks a real pain in the arse to defend against - always hunting down the ball and very physical. Chapman and Conway too will have an impact this season. Smallwood looks a very consistent player and has that old full of efforr Rovers kind of attitude that we love.  Antonsson and Gladwin aren't up to speed yet and look short on confidence but It's too early to write either off.  Onwards and upwards!

Well done Rovers, always good to see a win regardless of the division.

As others have highlighted, Williams is the weak link in the back four, his positioning is woeful, always too far away from his man.

I'm prepared to give Antonsson a few more games, he has some decent touches and could be a number 10, but only seen him once.

Evans and Smallwood certainly look ok in CM, but Bennett and Conway were a little disappointing.

Samuel, jury out for me at the moment, certainly has some ability but I only noticed him when they were chasing the game.

The score was a little flattering IMO, but I will take 4 goals at home every week.

Crowd looked poor, would guess at 8,500, but made a bit of noise once we were in front.

COYB

55 minutes ago, Mercer said:

'Big' bet goes on the win, a cheeky small bet on the score.  Using a golfing analogy 'drive for show, putt for dough' !

If a 'big bet'  goes on the win, you must be fkn skint after the last 12 months.

Mowbray has had plenty of brickbats this season so today he deserves a few bouquets. The simple but effective system had players in their correct positions and seemingly knowing their jobs. Aside from a fallow period in the second half I thought we were quite comfortable with the substitutions being made at the right time to have a positive effect on the game and ultimately the result. I said last week that I didn't think Smallwood and Evans should play together at home but today they were a really good combination probably winning more second balls than we have for a long time. Mulgrew is going to be key this season if we are to do anything as he is head and shoulders above anybody in this league. Samuel worked really hard and took up some clever positions. He is far from the finished article but his performances auger well for the season. I am still concerned about our full backs but if we can get on a winning run they should keep their positions. Whilst the performance had lots of positives there are still things to improve upon but I think a real benefit from today will be the confidence gained which was more apparent after the third goal.

Let's hope we can have lots of post match feel good this season as the losing feeling was depressing us all.

Good performance today. Smallwood was outstanding. Mulgrew, Evans and Samuel.very good. Antonsson worked his socks today. 

Williams goal was great strike but makes to many mistakes..

We should have scored 4 before half time..

Second half we were slow and bring on.Chapman change the game. Pace and skills the lad got..

Mk.Dons are a poor side

Some fans in Blackburn end saying Graham is the player leaving. Off to Preston with Gallagher comimg here. 

4 very good goals. Looking forward to my chinese takeaway tonight. 

Mowbray's Blue and White Army! :brfc:

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham is the player leaving. Off to Preston with Gallagher comimg here. 

I'd be over the moon with Graham going but we don't need another Whittingham (a player who can't play in a two in the centre of midfield, behind the striker, or wide), I've not seen enough of Gallagher in recent years to say.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Antonsson was absolutely hopeless chaddy, and bottles challenges.

Not my opinion. Hopeless he was not but its suits your argument. 

Worked hard, should have scored in 1st half but tired second half. 

Graham looks out of favour and possibly on his way

Just now, RV Blue said:

I'd be over the moon with Graham going but we don't need another Whittingham (a player who can't play in a two in the centre of midfield, behind the striker, or wide), I've not seen enough of Gallagher in recent years to say.

Need a striker replacement..

Jamie Hanson at Sheff Utd?

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not my opinion. Hopeless he was not but its suits your argument. 

Worked hard, should have scored in 1st half but tired second half. 

Grajsm looks out of favour and possibly on his way

Can you stop this. Of course people post things that back up their argument. That's kind of the point of a messageboard.

Excellent result, if not the greatest performance we'll ever see. Evans and Smallwood were both excellent first half and effectively won us the match. MK Dons had some decent players and an absolute man-mountain in the centre of the pitch but our two dogs of war didn't give him a sniff. When they tired in the 2nd half was when MK Dons started to come into it. They had some neat footballers. I'm not sure the result flattered us as Samuel and Antonsson both messed up when clean through first half but it was certainly very nervy until the calmest man on the pitch got us the third. Samuel's goal was just the icing on a very enjoyable football cake.:)

Raya - 6 - Flapped for one in the first half when under a bit of pressure but besides that didn't have a lot to do.

Caddis - 6 - Got forward well in the 1st half and put a couple of decent crosses in. Hit some decent balls into the front men from the RB position. Not really troubled defensively.

Williams 6 - Briefly turned into Roberto Carlos with a cracking strike into the bottom corner from 25 yards-ish. Spent a lot of the first half either giving the ball away trying to play Conway in inside the full-back or arguing with Conway about who was marking their talented right full-back who kept bombing forward. The goal came from his side as did a couple more dangerous crosses. Not convinced by him.

Ward - 7 - Thought he had a good game, composed and played it out well from the back. Won a lot of headers. Not really troubled as everything was in front of him, he'll have much harder afternoons.

Mulgrew - 9 - Two goals and some superb passes. I thought the free-kick was superb, just cleared the wall and zipped into the bottom corner. His header was excellent too, some players would have just nodded it back across goal but he got his angles spot on. A stroll in the park for someone of his ability.

Bennett - 6 - Worked really hard and put in a few decent crosses. Protected Caddis well. Doesn't really have the ability to beat anyone so didn't really offer an attacking threat.

Conway - 5 - He was poor. Offered Williams very little protection against a very attacking full back and when he got the ball did little with it. Rightly subbed.

Smallwood - 9 - Already a cult hero. He was excellent. Won every tackle, picked up nearly every loose ball in the centre of the park, and showed a decent passing range. Has a bit of Billy McKinlay/Flitty about him. He essentially plays like central midfielders used to play before football started to disappear up it's own at$e

Evans - 8 - Was a good foil for Smallwood, used the ball intelligently and put his fair share of meaty challenges in. If him and Smallwood stay fit and playing like they did today we will have a central midfield worthy of the name for the first time in a long time.

Antonsson - 5 - Tried hard, and he may not be match-fit yet, but on todays evidence looks a bad 'un. He was clean through and passed it back to their keeper. Mowbray finally lost patience with him when one of ours had the ball in midfield on the counter and Antonsson had half the pitch to run into. Instead he headed straight for their centre halves who easily cut out the pass. Not sure who decided it was a good idea to pay £2m for him. Hopefully he improves.

Samuel - 8 - He played well, offered himself for the ball every time and made it stick most times. He stretched their defence with his running in behind and in the end deserved his goal for keeping going.

Subs:-

Chapman - 7 - We've got a player! Did more in ten minutes going forward than Conway and Bennett did all game. Picked the ball up three times in wide areas, created one goal and put in two other good crosses. Absolutely destroyed their right back and left back and was a joy to watch. There's absolutely no reason why he can't be given a start in the league very soon, especially at home.

Gladwin - 3 - Can only assume he was on sedatives. Thought Mowbray was going to sub him after ten minutes of bringing him on, he was going mad trying to get him to wake up after he made another half-hearted effort to get the ball. He actually has a decent touch but he seems mentally very slow.

Mowbray - Good to see him playing players in their correct positions. We still look shaky at the back when attacked down the flanks so I can see why he's going with two hard-working wide men. Unfortunately, the pay off is that they offered very little attacking threat. Maybe Chapman instead of Antonsson would have been better today. After 4-1 though it would be churlish to criticise.

MK Dons were a big team, but also technically pretty decent. They had some good players (NO 20 was good, as was the RB and the giant in midfield) but seemed to lack much up front. They won't be the worse team we face this season.

All in all a very enjoyable afternoon, a decent atmosphere and a cracking result. Well done the players and the manager:rover:

Excellent win. MK Dons are no world beaters but we won at a canter without having to get into top gear. Add that to beating a side last week who hadn't lost a home game for 17 months, the signs are looking promising.

I'm still not convinced we've fully clicked in an attacking sense yet but we have a lot of quality attacking players. I think Dack, Chapman, Samuel will be our key attacking players and will rip a lot of teams apart this season. Chapman looks like the sort of player we've been missing since Damien Duff.

Looks like Graham will leave. I can't see Gallagher being his replacement, I think Chaddy's shout above is a more likely option - he's a target man and was someone we looked at earlier in th window according to the LT.

Archived