BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v MK Dons

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Just met a few of Ben Gladwin's mates on Aldi car park, who have driven up from Reading to see him play. Pity he's on the bench! It's a long way to watch a cameo.

Anyway, 4-1 to Rovers.Samuels 2 and Antonson to turn his doubters into supporters

COYB

Venkys out! Backwards stawt!

Today's winner.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've not seen the lad play but if he's as good as people say he is he's best kept out wide were he can get around the side of teams. Playing up front against big centre halves might not suit his game. Would you have played the young Damien Duff up front ?

To be honest Tyrone he looks lost.  First touch not the best, poor in the air and when he got a chance in front of goal he fluffed it.  Early days, but the signs aren't good.  Hope it's just a case of getting use to a different club and different League but he certainly doesn't look suited to playing up front.  In terms of playing wide he would never get in front of Conway, Bennett or Chapman.  Samuel is still raw but offers so much more. 

Square pegs in square holes today and we turn in our best performance of the season. Take note Tony

We still have nervy moments in games due to a lack of confidence, but its only going to improve if we can get on a run

Smallwood looks way to good for league 1. None stop effort, covers the ground and has that little bit of nastiness about him you want in a holding mid player

Some encouraging signs today, onwards on upwards...COYB

Just now, Parsonblue said:

To be honest Tyrone he looks lost.  First touch not the best, poor in the air and when he got a chance in front of goal he fluffed it.  Early days, but the signs aren't good.  Hope it's just a case of getting use to a different club and different League but he certainly doesn't look suited to playing up front.  In terms of playing wide he would never get in front of Conway, Bennett or Chapman.  Samuel is still raw but offers so much more. 

Agreed. He looks to light weight and timid to be effective in this league. Hope he can turn it around quickly, but its been a very poor start to his rovers career

Seems to be a very fine line between "outstanding, excellent, out of this world!" and "not fit to wear the shirt" on here! ^_^ Suppose that's the t'internet and t'hyperbowl...

3 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He is talking about Chapman playing the wing not the Leeds lad, Thats how I read it anyway 

Some reflections.

1) Southend and Doncaster beginning to look like self-inflicted wounds. One poster described our players in today's game as being thick. That could account for their inability to play the Mowbray way in the opening two games.

2) Plenty of disparagement of MK Dons as being rubbish. Well I don't expect them to go down or even be in the relegation battle- there are quite a few a lot worse.

3) The gulf in class between Championship and League 1 is looking like a chasm with Wigan the yo-yo team.

4) Realistically we are after a top two place. Bradford away showed we can handle ourselves against favoured opposition but avoiding upsets against Peterborough, Fleetwood, Wigan, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe is going to determine whether we get an automatic promotion slot or not.  

5) So altogether very encouraging and far more so than two weeks ago after that 1-3 defeat. We can only dispatch the opposition we are playing and we did so with aplomb today. Not getting carried away but a base to build from and a reason to be looking forward to the visit to Spotland.

11 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

He is talking about Chapman playing the wing not the Leeds lad, Thats how I read it anyway 

Sorry about that - misunderstood.  Chapman strikes me as a player who could play anywhere but his electric pace would terrify the traditional League One centre-half when he's running at them.

New player early season analysis,

Antonsson must have played himself out of contention after today's inept performance.

Gladwin, when I first saw him I thought he might have had a touch of magic in his boots. Now I think he's just a big lummox.

Samuel, really pleased we've managed to sign him. He offers ten times what Graham does.

Dack, looks like he could be a real asset and a pest to play against, he'll wind opposing supporters up no end.

Chapman, electric. Just electric. Whenever he got on the ball the whole BBE stood up. How long is it since we've had a player who could do that.

The word going around today was that PNE are desperate to sign a goal scorer and we might have one to fit the bill.

19 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Seems to be a very fine line between "outstanding, excellent, out of this world!" and "not fit to wear the shirt" on here! ^_^ Suppose that's the t'internet and t'hyperbowl...

Explain?

He was at Ewood I believe.

How injury prone is he? For one season he could be a really interesting addition if he has the legs and fitness.

Experienced, knows L1 and won promotion.

Has always impressed me for PNE when he's pitted his wits against us.

We could do with a few slide rule passes to unleash Samuel and Chapman.

I was talking about Chapman Parson, not the Swedish guy.

First game in a long while I've felt confident we would go onto win the game comfortably after the first 15 minutes. Nice to see us get an early goal for a change. Even after they equalised I felt we’d shown more than enough to suggest the result wasn't in any doubt if we carried on playing in the same way. That proved to be the case and the final scoreline was a fair reflection on the game I thought.

Whether this was an indication of a vast improvement in performance or whether MK Dons are just a really poor side or perhaps maybe a bit of both remains to be seen. But the old adage is you can only beat what is in front of you and we did that today with plenty to spare.

A simple 4-4-2 at home looks the way to go, most players I imagine have been brought up playing this way and are most comfortable with it. Compare it to the lethargic possession play against Doncaster we was a lot more probing and direct in our play with two wingers and two strikers on the pitch. Pretty much everyone had a good game even our two fullbacks. The only concern for me was the performance of Antonsson, who put in a good shift but was constantly pushed off the ball too easily and missed that chances that came his way. Gladwin came on and didn’t look any better. Presumably Graham’s lack of involvement recently means he’ll be out the door before the transfer window shuts otherwise he must be wondering why the hell he can’t get on the pitch ahead of those two.

Overall though got to feel positive after that performance we looked more like promotion favourites on the back of that.

Just now, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

How injury prone is he? For one season he could be a really interesting addition if he has the legs and fitness.

Experienced, knows L1 and won promotion.

Has always impressed me for PNE when he's pitted his wits against us.

We could do with a few slide rule passes to unleash Samuel and Chapman.

He's got the " X " factor on the ball. He'd be good for a 30 minute cameo if we needed to roll the dice towards the end of the game. It's a 14 man game now.

Sorry about that - misunderstood.  Chapman strikes me as a player who could play anywhere but his electric pace would terrify the traditional League One centre-half when he's running at them.

It's not always that simple up front Parson. I played out wide as a young player, I was quick and got moved up front from time to time.

Smart centre halves drop off you and give you nowhere to go to use your pace, the clever ones can block you off and sap your energy.  Kick you up in the air if they can, knee in the back for high balls etc If the service from midfield isn't perfect just being quick isn't enough. Especially when you're young and not that game savvy.

Out wide it's one on one, you can come deep for the ball, come infield. Much more room to receive the ball, if you're quick you can turn a bad pass into a good pass. Room behind the full back etc. More protection from the officials.

Like I said would you play the young Damien Duff up front  ? Get the kid out wide and feed him.

The 4-1 scoreline flatters us. For most of that game we were very poor against a terrible MK Dons side.

Worst player on the pitch was Williams, even though he scored the first goal.

Antonsson worked hard but, at present, he just hasn't got it.

Caddis is steadier than Nyambe and deserves to keep his place.

Ward was OK (ish) but during the 2nd half he tried to beat 2 opposition players in his own half of the field. If he had lost the ball, they would have scored.

Gladwin looks to have ability but doesn't use it. Is he on tranquillisers?

Why does Conway rarely use his left foot? And why does Williams NEVER use his right foot.? Professional footballers are paid so much money, they should be able to use two feet; like Ben Marshall and Connor Mahoney.

That leaves the players who I would definitely put on the team sheet for further games:

Raya, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Chapman and Samuel. There are Dack and, hopefully, Lenihan to join them.

Finally, I'm over the moon at the win and the scoreline. When was the last time Rovers won at Ewood? I honestly cannot remember.

Archived