BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v MK Dons

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bazza said:

The 4-1 scoreline flatters us. For most of that game we were very poor against a terrible MK Dons side.

Worst player on the pitch was Williams, even though he scored the first goal.

Antonsson worked hard but, at present, he just hasn't got it.

Caddis is steadier than Nyambe and deserves to keep his place.

Ward was OK (ish) but during the 2nd half he tried to beat 2 opposition players in his own half of the field. If he had lost the ball, they would have scored.

Gladwin looks to have ability but doesn't use it. Is he on tranquillisers?

Why does Conway rarely use his left foot? And why does Williams NEVER use his right foot.? Professional footballers are paid so much money, they should be able to use two feet; like Ben Marshall and Connor Mahoney.

That leaves the players who I would definitely put on the team sheet for further games:

Raya, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Chapman and Samuel. There are Dack and, hopefully, Lenihan to join them.

Finally, I'm over the moon at the win and the scoreline. When was the last time Rovers won at Ewood? I honestly cannot remember.

So Ward did something very well by the sounds of it, yet you see it is a negative? 

As for players using both feet, have you ever played football yourself? To criticise players in our team about this is bizarre 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So Ward did something very well by the sounds of it, yet you see it is a negative? 

As for players using both feet, have you ever played football yourself? To criticise players in our team about this is bizarre 

Bazza was playing football when your dad was in short pants.

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What Ward did came off but had it not MK Dons would have been through. A completely irresponsible piece of defending by an experienced player.

It worked. So players  shouldn't try pieces of skill, in case they don't work? Probably the worst way to instill belief in a team. 

Fair play to Ward for pulling it off. More please 

I missed the first two weeks of the season on holiday, so was fearing the worst when I arrived at Bradford- a perennial top 6 side, I then witnessed us look up for the fight, got the goal and comfortably see the game out- Raya not making a save.

MK Dons, a standard League 1 outfit and we banged in 4 - with plenty of missed chances too.

This league is very very poor, a big drop in quality from the Championship and with players like Evans, Samuel and the Rolls Royce of a player at this level in Mulgrew, we have nothing at all to fear.

We must get promotion this season whilst we still have some quality in the ranks and I believe we can.

6 points behind the top spot and having cancelled the Fleetwood game they will soon be at the stage of no more slip ups and we'll barely be out of August.

A decent end to this transfer window is absolutely vital.

If we play the with the same determination as we did in the last two games we should get the three points @ Rochdale but big test coming away to Scunthorpe. They are up there and are doing well. If we keep picking up points of some sort and avoid defeat then we will be creeping up the table. But it will be away games to the likes of Scunthorpe that will test us. 

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

6 points behind the top spot and having cancelled the Fleetwood game they will soon be at the stage of no more slip ups and we'll barely be out of August.

A decent end to this transfer window is absolutely vital.

We are 4 games into a long season, seriously have a word with yourself.

I think its been a decent start. Couple of early defeats looks to of taught some valuable lessons and stopped us being cocky. Like what happened first season in the championship under keano.

2 minutes ago, Boaty said:

I think its been a decent start. Couple of early defeats looks to of taught some valuable lessons and stopped us being cocky. Like what happened first season in the championship under keano.

Don't be clever i'm just saying it's easy to slip away from the top spots whilst fiddling about with formations and players etc. It could well be this season that a couple of clubs run away with it so it's important to stay in touch and adding some quality will be vital to that imo.

But yeah let's keep losing a few and jerking around with systems just so we can keep our feet on the ground, wobble yer head !

23 minutes ago, Boaty said:

Valuable lessons? Must be why we did so well that season then?

And "Keano"??? Really? Like he's an old pal or something? "Keano"?? 

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I played to a good standard and I had failings in my game that prevented me going further, lack of heading ability was one.  However I could take corners off either wing with either foot and land the ball in the danger area 8 times out of 10.

Not being two footed as a pro is unforgivable in my book - practice, practice, practice is the key.

Centre half tries to beat a man on the half way line and he gets away with it , what happens 8 times out 10- nothing, it's a short pass into midfield or out to a full back.

Centre half tries to beat a man on the half way line and loses the ball,  what happens - 5 times out of 10 we concede a goal.

Ward's not Franz Beckenbauer.  Knowing when to stick and when to twist is the secret of being a good centre half. Play the percentages.

2 hours ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Apologies, do have a memory of Woy playing him down middle or am I just showing my age!

You are indeed correct, he played through the middle against West Ham at Ewood in December 97 as Sutton was out, ran Ferdinand ragged and scored twice.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It worked. So players  shouldn't try pieces of skill, in case they don't work? Probably the worst way to instill belief in a team. 

Fair play to Ward for pulling it off. More please 

Nowhere did I say players shouldn't try pieces of skill. A defender like Ward, who lacks the pace to chase back should he lose, shouldn't be trying pieces of skill with no cover behind him. Asking your defenders to not take unnecessary risks is certainly not the worst thing to instill in a team at all. Did you see the incident by the way?

And you calling for more is stupid. Why would you want your centre halves taking risks? And that 1 in 5 times it doesn't come off, they score and we drop 3 points what do you say then? "Nevermind Ward, at least you tried that piece of skill. Keep going". Nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I played to a good standard and I had failings in my game that prevented me going further, lack of heading ability was one.  However I could take corners off either wing with either foot and land the ball in the danger area 8 times out of 10.

Not being two footed as a pro is unforgivable in my book - practice, practice, practice is the key.

Centre half tries to beat a man on the half way line and he gets away with it , what happens 8 times out 10- nothing.

Centre half tries to beat a man and the half way line and loses the ball,  what happens - 5 times out of 10 we concede a goal.

Ward's not Franz Beckenbauer.  Knowing when to stick and when to twist is the secret of being a good centre half.

Aa I remember it he had no choice but to try and beat two men. Whether he put himself in that situation or he'd received a  poor pass in a dangerous area I can't remember.  He did incredibly well not to lose the ball. Both him and Mulgrew were very composed at the back yesterday and were both 'guilty' of retaining possession when a hoof into the stands might have been more appropriate. They both backed their own ability on the ball and it paid off.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nowhere did I say players shouldn't try pieces of skill. A defender like Ward, who lacks the pace to chase back should he lose, shouldn't be trying pieces of skill with no cover behind him. Asking your defenders to not take unnecessary risks is certainly not the worst thing to instill in a team at all. Did you see the incident by the way?

And you calling for more is stupid. Why would you want your centre halves taking risks? And that 1 in 5 times it doesn't come off, they score and we drop 3 points what do you say then? "Nevermind Ward, at least you tried that piece of skill. Keep going". Nonsense.

It's like when you're a winger with the ball and your full back bombs past on an overlap. If you're the winger a little light bulb should come on in your head saying " Whatever I do now I must NOT lose possession, If I do we're totally  exposed ".

It's called football intelligence.

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's like when you're a winger with the ball and your full back bombs past on an overlap. If you're the winger a little light bulb should come on in your head saying " Whatever I do now I must NOT lose possession, If I do we're totally  exposed ".

the light bulb should also say. Give the ball to the fullback and drop back to cover his position. 

Just now, rigger said:

the light bulb should also say. Give the ball to the fullback and drop back to cover his position. 

That's the obvious option as long as the full back hasn't run off side or run into a position were passing the ball to him is hazardous. How often do you see the ball lost with both full back and winger stranded, then the opposition launch the ball into the space left unoccupied ?

Your centre halves should also have a " light bulb moment"  and be aware what can go wrong even when the winger still has the ball and they should be on their toes ready to go out wide for an interception.

Souey used to call it " Sensing Danger ".

Classic example of what we were talking about earlier in today's Liverpool v Arsenal game. An Arsenal corner is cleared out to one of the Arsenal centre halves standing inside the Liverpool half, he's the last man in centre field. It's a looping clearance but instead of going forward to meet the ball and heading it back into the mixer he hangs back and tries to control a bouncing ball. He miss controls the ball, a much quicker Liverpool striker robs him and goes the length of the field before slotting it in past the goalkeeper.  3-0 game over.

Shocking decision making and very poor ball control by a guy on mega bucks.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Classic example of what we were talking about earlier in today's Liverpool v Arsenal game. An Arsenal corner is cleared out to one of the Arsenal centre halves standing inside the Liverpool half, he's the last man in centre field. It's a looping clearance but instead of going forward to meet the ball and heading it back into the mixer he hangs back and tries to control a bouncing ball. He miss controls the ball, a much quicker Liverpool striker robs him and goes the length of the field before slotting it in past the goalkeeper.  3-0 game over.

Shocking decision making and very poor ball control by a guy on mega bucks.

That incident pretty much reflected how Arsenal played today. Gary Neville slaughtered them in his commentary and it was hard to disagree with him. Arsenal are a team of jellyfish (and it appears their North London neighbours are not far behind them).

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Correct.  This I alluded to yesterday as we seem to have quite a few thick footballers who can't grasp these things.

11 hours ago, philipl said:

Remember that game- a remarkable 2-4 defeat in which Emille Heskey was a goal scoring tank for Leicester.

But anyone who was there knew they had seen footballing magic and genius in Duff's debut.

I think we'd only just secured our league status on the previous game. Leicester at home was the last game of the season. 

It was an amazing tale of survival, that season. For points after thirteen games. I think we were eight points off of safety on new year's eve. I seem to remember tony using a midfield three of mackinlay, sherwood and flitcroft to hunt in a pack

Archived