BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers XI v Stoke U8s (Tues 29 Aug, Ewood Park)

Stuart

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McClarky said:

It's called opinion, without it this site would be as worthless as this comment.  

Yes and opinions can be disagreed with. Tonight was managed perfectly by Mowbray, team picked was bang on. Nuttall scored which is very positive. Samuel played 3 days ago, he wont be ring rusty by the difference of a couple of days and now we have the bonus of another goal scoring forward knocking on the door. 

Great team selection. It sound alien the under 23s did very well. 

Can anyone at it tell me how Whittingham played in midfield with Tomlinson? 

How was Graham also? 

16 minutes ago, Husky said:

Can we still take the penalties option to go for the extra point?

I don't know how this competition works. It doesn't even exist according to BBC.

Just looked at the league tables for this EFL Trophy. We are top with 3 points. Rochdale and Bury haven't played yet. Stoke are bottom with 0 points.

3 points for a win. 1 point each for a draw. Winner of penalty shoot-out after a draw gets an extra point.

Go to BBC Sport EFL Trophy tables.

2 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

The lad needs a squad number and a two year extended contract to go with it

He certainly sounds promising; he made an impact when he came on at M'cambe in pre-season. His power and athleticism looks good and he's direct. He missed a couple of good chances and subsequently got slated by a few people on here. Somewhat ironically named the next Beamo! But his goal scoring record for U23's has been fantastic since.

TM made reference to him in his pre-match interview too saying he has his eye on him. So must be in the thinking.

Didn't we sign him on 12 months with first option on an extension? If so, strikes me Rovers have said prove yourself here (after not doing so well elsewhere).

I like the look of him. Could be a cheeky bit of biz!

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes and opinions can be disagreed with. Tonight was managed perfectly by Mowbray, team picked was bang on. Nuttall scored which is very positive. Samuel played 3 days ago, he wont be ring rusty by the difference of a couple of days and now we have the bonus of another goal scoring forward knocking on the door. 

Great team selection. It sound alien the under 23s did very well. 

Can anyone at it tell me how Whittingham played in midfield with Tomlinson? 

How was Graham also? 

How serious did the injuries to Nyambe and Williams look?

Just got back, I quite enjoyed watching our young players. They stood out and there was a few good performances, a few not so good in my opinion.

Fisher: Steady, did what was required, better than Steele already. (6/10)

Travis: Solid, got forward when he could, tenacious in the tackle (7/10)

Doyle: As above, both look good prospects and must be close to the first team,

Nyambe: I like the lad, but he had a dreadful game, mistimed headers, some very risky passes across our back line. No surprise to him subbed (4/10)

Williams: Pretty non descript really, went off injured (5/10)

Feeney: Flatters to deceive, does well to beat his man, always gets to the by-line then lets himself down with his crossing, if he could cross he wouldn't be playing for rvrs  (6/10)

Chapman: Electric pace, quick feet and direct, I think we've got a real player here, could go on to be a cracker. If we can sign him we should (8/10)

Tomlinson: My man of the match. Industrious little player, winning or receiving the ball, working in tight spaces driving the team forward. He'd start for me in the first team. Just a bit light weight aerially. (9/10)

Gladwin: A few good touches early on, made a few mistakes then his head dropped. Looks like he could have something though (5/10)

Whittingham: Grew in to the game, you can see he still has something about him, going to be an asset for us in league 1, helps when he has movement around him, picked a great pass to Nuttall (I think) in the second half and showed quick feet. (7/10)

Graham: Hardly touched the ball, looks like he's dropped a bit of weight. Didn't do enough for me, lucky not be subbed (4/10)

Subs

Platt:  Looks a classy player, good in the air, carried it out very well from the back (7/10)

Smallwood: Slotted in at the back, looked pretty assured, versatile, could be a real asset this season if he can drop into the back four for us (6/10)

Nuttall: Looks a real player, big, strong and mobile, came on and made a real impact. I'd have him above Graham at the moment, a real threat with his pace and power. Get him tied down to a longer contract. (8/10)

Not getting carried away, we played Stoke U21'S, they weren't great, sure out U21's (Cat 1 Academy) would have beaten them minus the first the team players. Think it makes a bit of a joke out of the competition to be honest. Played some good stuff in patches, looked a lot more solid when Platt and Smallwood dropped into the backline. Positives for me were the young full backs, both looked good, Platt was solid and looked assured, Tomlinson, Chapman and Nuttall look more than ready for the first 11 in my opinion. In fact I'd be pushing all the others forward too.

38 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

I thought so, but when I hear one year option I always wonder about the terms of it. I think these can vary from the club extending it at their will, to both club and player needing to agree it? Expect it is the former though.

55 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Just got back, I quite enjoyed watching our young players. They stood out and there was a few good performances, a few not so good in my opinion.

Fisher: Steady, did what was required, better than Steele already. (6/10)

Travis: Solid, got forward when he could, tenacious in the tackle (7/10)

Doyle: As above, both look good prospects and must be close to the first team,

Nyambe: I like the lad, but he had a dreadful game, mistimed headers, some very risky passes across our back line. No surprise to him subbed (4/10)

Williams: Pretty non descript really, went off injured (5/10)

Feeney: Flatters to deceive, does well to beat his man, always gets to the by-line then lets himself down with his crossing, if he could cross he wouldn't be playing for rvrs  (6/10)

Chapman: Electric pace, quick feet and direct, I think we've got a real player here, could go on to be a cracker. If we can sign him we should (8/10)

Tomlinson: My man of the match. Industrious little player, winning or receiving the ball, working in tight spaces driving the team forward. He'd start for me in the first team. Just a bit light weight aerially. (9/10)

Gladwin: A few good touches early on, made a few mistakes then his head dropped. Looks like he could have something though (5/10)

Whittingham: Grew in to the game, you can see he still has something about him, going to be an asset for us in league 1, helps when he has movement around him, picked a great pass to Nuttall (I think) in the second half and showed quick feet. (7/10)

Graham: Hardly touched the ball, looks like he's dropped a bit of weight. Didn't do enough for me, lucky not be subbed (4/10)

Subs

Platt:  Looks a classy player, good in the air, carried it out very well from the back (7/10)

Smallwood: Slotted in at the back, looked pretty assured, versatile, could be a real asset this season if he can drop into the back four for us (6/10)

Nuttall: Looks a real player, big, strong and mobile, came on and made a real impact. I'd have him above Graham at the moment, a real threat with his pace and power. Get him tied down to a longer contract. (8/10)

Not getting carried away, we played Stoke U21'S, they weren't great, sure out U21's (Cat 1 Academy) would have beaten them minus the first the team players. Think it makes a bit of a joke out of the competition to be honest. Played some good stuff in patches, looked a lot more solid when Platt and Smallwood dropped into the backline. Positives for me were the young full backs, both looked good, Platt was solid and looked assured, Tomlinson, Chapman and Nuttall look more than ready for the first 11 in my opinion. In fact I'd be pushing all the others forward too.

Agree with that!  The young lads acquitted themselves well, the old guard were exactly what we are used to.

On tonight's performance, Danny Graham is one we can definitely see the back off.  His contribution was a few chest passes.  The guy doesn't seem to have any passion or grit.  Nothing competition and he played like it.  He was up against a very tall lad at the back.  Not strong, just lanky. Now a player like Dickov would have wound  this kid up all night with his experience.  Graham did nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  

A front 3 of Samuel, Nuttall and Chapman with Dack in behind would absolutely terrify this league.

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

So, just to be clear...are we allowed to count this as a proper win in our arguments and win percentages, or is it like the Coventry win that didn't count although the Burnley defeat definitely did?

No. This doesn't count at all. Seriously. It was just the Rovers winning a match, I take no solace from that whatsoever. What do you want? Me to be briefly happy? 

I ended up going tonight, contrary to my much earlier post in this thread! 

Good work lads. Nuttall was fearless - quick, excited even. We'll soon beat that out if him. Who's his fecking Agent? Far from the finished article, in fact nowhere near. But he scored again - I like that sort of thing a lot.

Whittingham and Graham look shot. The former did a good pass early second half, that's when I remembered he was playing. DG seems to be growing his hair. Other than that...

It was hard at times to tell the kids from the old heads. Having said that, Charlie Adam was fecking dreadful. Arrogant without reason. The tit.

Oh... and another crap decision to open just the (Joe) Nuttall St enclosure - it was far too cramped. Then again, look after the pennies and you get to keep your job (whilst the entire football club goes to rat @#/?....)

but, overall... well played lads.

Edit - By the way, we're either having the worlds latest medical (12.55) or someone has left the floodlight on down at Ewood!

Quite enjoyed the game on the whole despite as Mowbray saying it wasn't the greatest spectacle.  As others have said the youngsters almost to a man did themselves great credit, particularly both full backs.  Thought Tomlinson was decent at times, good range of passing but went missing for too long in spells to be considered yet in my view.  Liked the look of Platt too when he came on, just looked steady.

I'm not as negative as some about the U21's being in, I can see the point of it, and as some of the clubs such as Accy said the money they get from PL for it covers and makes it financially worthwhile.  You can imagine despite playing together most weeks it's a huge step up in one sense for the U21's to be playing against proper teams in one sense, however i'm not sure how much value they get from 3 games against make-shift sides, almost has a friendly feel to it at times.  Difficulty is at the stage of the season, and in reality until a club gets say to the quarter finals, the competition is an inconvenience and way down the priority list.

In terms of the senior players who you'd expect to be pushing to impress only Chapman gained any credit, Smallwood looked fine when he came on, others such as Feeney, Gladwin etc just went through the motions.  The only time Feeney showed anything was when he chased back to let Pemberton know he was still on the pitch, after Pemberton had dispossessed him a few times. 

Nuttall just looks a real player to me, he's clearly still raw, and trying not to getting carried away, but he holds the ball well, he's strong he's decent in the air, especially when you consider he was up against Stoke's 3 giants!!  You'd be very surprised if he didn't push for inclusion in the 1st team this side of Christmas.  The next Checkatrade game will be worth coming to just to watch him for me.

By the way for those who asked Williams just walked off so looked very much like he took a knock in a tackle and they were not going to take a chance, didn't notice re Nyambe but agree what was said he's definitely not a centre half, just can't head the ball well enough.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Good result reading lie still Rover that Ryan Nyambe had another mare in the blue and white halfed shirt.

Mis timed headers has anyone ever seen Nyambe out jump an opponent for an header ?

He is no CB that is for sure.  I think the lad could make a decent right midfielder though.  He can beat a man and has the athleticism and pace to get up and down.  Worth a shot playing in front of a full back.  That said, I would be more than happy to see Travis and Doyle playing full back for the first team.  They both clearly have the scope to be better than Williams and Caddis and will only improve further by playing against better opposition. 

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He is no CB that is for sure.  I think the lad could make a decent right midfielder though.  He can beat a man and has the athleticism and pace to get up and down.  Worth a shot playing in front of a full back.  That said, I would be more than happy to see Travis and Doyle playing full back for the first team.  They both clearly have the scope to be better than Williams and Caddis and will only improve further by playing against better opposition. 

I thought Travis and Doyle showed up really well last night. Both are athletic and quick and worked the touch line really well. Hopefully we will see one or both in the first team soon as Mowbray seemed to be impressed. It was also good to see Smallwood fill in at centre half competently in the second half. Nuttall once again showed up well and displayed several competencies which makes him a really good prospect.

42 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He (Nyambe) hasn't got it WWWM.

Waiting for him to improve is like chucking good money off to bad whilst his agent and parsons screw us over time and again. Funny how his agent has Nuttall on a one year contract here yet earns Nyambe a longer contract shafting the club just like all the others managers players etc., 

Forest Green would be an ideal team for Ryan Nyambe at this moment in time.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I wasn't there and never seen him play so what has he got that could set him apart from, say, Antonsson?

Having only seen them both briefly the first thing that struck me was the difference in physique and strength. Nuttall found space several times and got in behind too with clever movement. In all honesty though Antonsson just doesn't look like a League One central striker to me.

Archived