BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preston and Blackburn swap deal

1 minute ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Interestingly enough,I used to get comments from fellow supporters saying that it was like having a 10-man team with JR in it,as he contributed nothing EXCEPT scoring goals i.e.the most difficult and important bit!

Danny Graham arguably better value for money as he didnt cost a fee,both on relatively high wages whilst at Rovers and no question Rhodes more prolific in his prime. However,Graham tended to get more "involved in games",certainly the ones I saw,even last season. All that said,Id take the money IF £750,000 really is on the table. A half reasonable offer,all things considered

He may have got involved in games but we lost more than we won.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

He may have got involved in games but we lost more than we won.

We would have lost them with Rhodes with that team last season too though.When Rhodes was scoring for us we had a lot better team.Even in Rhodes last season with us the goals had started to dry up.Its make or break time for him now...failed at boro and Wednesday already want rid

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We would have lost them with Rhodes with that team last season too though.When Rhodes was scoring for us we had a lot better team.Even in Rhodes last season with us the goals had started to dry up.Its make or break time for him now...failed at boro and Wednesday already want rid

Even when his goals "dried up" - he still got 11 in half a season!

He then went to Boro and scored 6 and got promoted.

Danny Graham had one PL season where he more than 10 goals.

It's a moot point though. Coyle relegated us last season, nobody else.

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Even when his goals "dried up" - he still got 11 in half a season!

He then went to Boro and scored 6 and got promoted.

Danny Graham had one PL season where he more than 10 goals.

It's a moot point though. Coyle relegated us last season, nobody else.

He scored 9 league goals the first of those coming in our 6th league match.2 of the goals he scored where penaltys.His goalscoring had dropped,he was going a lot of games without scoring and then he would score two.Danny Graham didn't have the luxury of playing alongside Gestede,or being supplied by a younger Conway,a Cairney,an in form Marshall etc.

52 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The team was very poor in Rhodes early time here never mind how many managers in about 18 months but he still banged them in infact you could argue he kept us up. Not sure how DG would have faired in that lot given how quick his head drops, I think his career reflects that.

Shame because the Graham who first came was a hell of a player although he was always going to struggle to match that work rate game in game out when he got older.

58 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Strange player is Rhodes. Not good enough for the highest level yet a superb goalscoring record. Rather like Simon Garner in many ways. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Strange player is Rhodes. Not good enough for the highest level yet a superb goalscoring record. Rather like Simon Garner in many ways. 

Garner had more in his locker than the pair of em ... ;)

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

He scored 9 league goals the first of those coming in our 6th league match.2 of the goals he scored where penaltys.His goalscoring had dropped,he was going a lot of games without scoring and then he would score two.Danny Graham didn't have the luxury of playing alongside Gestede,or being supplied by a younger Conway,a Cairney,an in form Marshall etc.

Sorry but your arguments are getting desperate. Rhodes was banging in goals before Gestede arrived. If anything, bringing in Gestede changed the style of the team which didn't suit Rhodes and he STILL scored goals. Rhodes kept defenders on their toes and a virtually unknown and, previously lacking in the goals department, Gestede thrived on the space.

Meanwhile, by your own argument, Graham was playing in a PL team with some very good players - a side that even won the league cup. But no, the difference was Gestede.

Oh and penalties still count as goals.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Sorry but your arguments are getting desperate. Rhodes was banging in goals before Gestede arrived. If anything, bringing in Gestede changed the style of the team which didn't suit Rhodes and he STILL scored goals. Rhodes kept defenders on their toes and a virtually unknown and, previously lacking in the goals department, Gestede thrived on the space.

Meanwhile, by your own argument, Graham was playing in a PL team with some very good players - a side that even won the league cup. But no, the difference was Gestede.

Oh and penalties still count as goals.

Rhodes is proving himself to be a poor player now.He certainly isn't keeping defenders on their toes lately.His goalscoring had gone down in his last season at rovers just have a closer look at the games.

In the 27 league matches that where played while Rhodes was here in 2015 he scored in 8 games.So my argument isn't getting desperate his goalscoring had gone down.

I'm well aware that penaltys still count pity Rhodes walked away from his through lack of bottle when it really mattered though

13 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Garner had a bit of pace in his game as well as a bit of aggression. He ran the channels well and was always looking to work the centre halves. Rhodes main failing is a chronic lack of pace.  I'd have Garner over Rhodes any day of the week.

We've had some fantastic strikers since I was a kid watching Garner in his pomp some real world class talent but i'm not sure I can think of one who was quicker or better at getting a shot off on the turn than him ? 

Turn on a 5p Garner it was a bit of a trademark of his I seem to remember and obviously every era the game changes a bit, quicker, fitter but that balances out with less contact and last ditch flying tackles in the box or from behind and defenders man handling now unallowed. 

With that in mind I think he would have got a bag full every season in the championship, league 1 of today from his trademark moves.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Garner had a bit of pace in his game as well as a bit of aggression. He ran the channels well and was always looking the work the centre halves. Rhodes main failing is a chronic lack of pace.  I'd have Garner over Rhodes any day of the week.

Agree that Garner is a much better footballer than Rhodes. But he still wasn't good enough to get picked up by a first division club - and that was in the days when most teams were all-British. 

13 hours ago, Athlete said:

Football is a simple game putting the ball in the net 

If I may step in.....

football is about the team scoring goals, not just one man. We (the team) scored more goals after Rhodes left.

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Agree that Garner is a much better footballer than Rhodes. But he still wasn't good enough to get picked up by a first division club - and that was in the days when most teams were all-British. 

Howard Gayle said recently that Liverpool were considering bringing Garner in to replace the outgoing Ian Rush in the mid 80's. Garner scored twenty odd for a couple of consecutive seasons in the early 80's, including a sensational strike against Liverpool in a cup game in '83. Anyone at Ewood that day will remember it as he turned on a sixpence and smashed it in. Perhaps that goal stayed in Liverpool's mind when considering bringing Garner in. 

I always thought Garner raised his game in cup games against first division opponents and would have easily stepped up to the required level with a strong manager and a more focused work ethic that a top flight club would have demanded. 

55 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Howard Gayle said recently that Liverpool were considering bringing Garner in to replace the outgoing Ian Rush in the mid 80's. Garner scored twenty odd for a couple of consecutive seasons in the early 80's, including a sensational strike against Liverpool in a cup game in '83. Anyone at Ewood that day will remember it as he turned on a sixpence and smashed it in. Perhaps that goal stayed in Liverpool's mind when considering bringing Garner in. 

I always thought Garner raised his game in cup games against first division opponents and would have easily stepped up to the required level with a strong manager and a more focused work ethic that a top flight club would have demanded. 

Fantastic piece of skill that and still one of my all time favourite Rovers goals against the best team in the land at the time.

40 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Fantastic piece of skill that and still one of my all time favourite Rovers goals against the best team in the land at the time.

We all have our favourite Garner goals and the one I remember best was V Chelsea, a night match, but not certain of the year. Chelsea were playing a very high line and Mickey Droy was man marking Garner. He was literally in his shorts on the half way line and Simon was facing the Darwen end, we were attacking the Blackburn end. The ball arrived at Garners feet and with a quick flick and spin he was clear, with half the length of the pitch to Run and Droy almost on his bum. He raced clear, drew the keeper and slotted the ball home. It always stuck in my mind and I just loved that goal.

Just now, lraC said:

We all have our favourite Garner goals and the one I remember best was V Chelsea, a night match, but not certain of the year. Chelsea were playing a very high line and Mickey Droy was man marking Garner. He was literally in his shorts on the half way line and Simon was facing the Darwen end, we were attacking the Blackburn end. The ball arrived at Garners feet and with a quick flick and spin he was clear, with half the length of the pitch to Run and Droy almost on his bum. He raced clear, drew the keeper and slotted the ball home. It always stuck in my mind and I just loved that goal.

That goal would be beyond Rhodes because he couldn't run away from anybody that far out from goal.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That goal would be beyond Rhodes because he couldn't run away from anybody that far out from goal.

Absolutely correct and that was the thing about Garner, he scored all types of goals. Loved him to bits and named my son after him.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We had some of Rhodes best years and yet he still gets slagged off.

We sold Rhodes for loads and many on here raved on how his cash value would be better invested.

That worked out feckin well.

You reap what you sow.

Rhodes was a good player for us ..... no one disputes that. Whether the cash was invested wisely is another matter. 

Archived