BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has a date been agreed for supporters consultation meeting

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Another pointless exercise with the clubs owners once again sticking two fingers up to the authorities by ignoring the very reason this tick box exercise was setup in the first place.

Why fans are not refusing to go and making a statement in the press is beyond me, we know plenty will still attend, starry eyed dreamers and all that, but the supporters groups should put out a joint statement and refuse to go until owners or that laughing clown agree to attend.

If the fans want a Q&A with the manager ask for one, this isn't that forum, and TM attendance is simply to fill up time on the agenda.

A complete sham.

Said same for a while. Nothing real ever learned, few scraps of of meat thrown at the peasants to keep us happy... "oh thank you sir, much obliged sir"

@#/? off Venkys, @#/? off Cheston.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Gav said:

Another pointless exercise with the clubs owners once again sticking two fingers up to the authorities by ignoring the very reason this tick box exercise was setup in the first place.

Why fans are not refusing to go and making a statement in the press is beyond me, we know plenty will still attend, starry eyed dreamers and all that, but the supporters groups should put out a joint statement and refuse to go until owners or that laughing clown agree to attend.

If the fans want a Q&A with the manager ask for one, this isn't that forum, and TM attendance is simply to fill up time on the agenda.

A complete sham.

What more are you expecting from this meeting? 

The owners wil never attend..the FL cannot force them either. 

What would a boycott from this meeting really achieve and a statement why? Not going to change owt.

KMPG and Deloittles didn't find how the club was being run wrong? Give me a break.

From the summary of Madon TM seems to have once again answered all questions extremely well. He definitely understands the situation at Rovers.

The whole scenario with Rigg doesn't sit right with me. The way in which he wants to 'modernise scouting' has been happening at football clubs for the best part of a decade. Are we really that far behind?

Mike Cheston has once again paid lip service. No board of directors, no direct link with the shot callers present so the reality is we don't even know if what he has said has any truth to it.

FL tick box exercise completed for another few months. 

9 hours ago, Gav said:

A complete sham.

Clearly the fact that supporters find these events worthwhile is reason enough for doing them.  I thought last night was better than the previous ones and the information that came out worth hearing.  The owners clearly have no intention of selling the club with investment continuing to go into the facilities at Brockhall.  At the end of the day Mike Cheston is an employee and like the rest of us who work for a boss you ultimately have to follow the instructions you are given and make the best of them.  It seems to me that Cheston and some hard working folk at Ewood are trying to make the best of the present situation.  I know that isn't popular with many on here but there is a far wider fanbase than BRFCS and certainly the group who I attend with felt last night was a worthwhile event.  As with everything in life different folk have different views.

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

Back to Mowbray, he also talked about how Conway and Bennett are his main men in the dressing room (which I feel bodes well, as senior players with great attitudes, as well as being players who were already here).

Collossal mistake there in my view. That pair never ever produce the goods out on the pitch ao no matter what great blokes they may or may not be, how can they be the two shining examples the other players look up to?

I'll bet Jason Lowe was a great bloke to have around the place during the week as well.

Let's not try to compare Mike Cheston's job with the jobs of an 'ordinary' man. If my boss ran the company I worked for in the way in which they have ran Rovers I'd do what others before Cheston have done and walk. It's utterly incomparable with an ordinary man because the situation at Rovers is utterly unlike any other.

If my company was taken over tomorrow and within 2 years millions had been wiped off its value, my esteemed colleagues replaced by unqualified morons, my 'bosses' (directors in the case of Rovers) comprised of one man totally unqualified in my field and the only real link was a largely unknown entity (Pasha) then I'd be handing in my resignation immediately. It is true that I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure even the most stout defenders of Cheston would be unable to say they wouldn't do the same in that situation.

Unless, of course, there was something in it for myself. In that case I'd probably have to think twice about walking away.

No real 'news' as such just a little bit more meat on the bones in terms of how the club functions.

Mowbray could talk all night and was very good to listen to. But really I think that should be for a separate meeting when there is more time. Very good to listen to and he clearly loves the job and loves the game but my understanding of the purpose of these meetings was for fans to be able to go beyond the football and ask questions on the operation of the club from those at the top of it, and really last night didn't provide that. Cheston merely raked over old ground and refused to divulge any more info than he had at previous meetings. I don't blame him for that but it really does render the who thing quite pointless if every 6 months its virtually the same stuff coming out again. In terms of Mowbray clearly a very passionate and down to earth man who could spend hours talking football and reminiscing about his career and I dearly hope he makes a success of it, but really he needs to be judged on results rather than his speaking.

As someone who lives too far away from East Lancashire to ever get to these meetings, may I say how much I appreciate being updated by those who did attend. Thanks a lot for putting the time and effort into cascading the information to us.

As for the content of the meeting, it sounds like Tony Mowbray is the best manager we have had since Sam. He seemed to come across really well and was more open than I would have expected.

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Let's not try to compare Mike Cheston's job with the jobs of an 'ordinary' man. If my boss ran the company I worked for in the way in which they have ran Rovers I'd do what others before Cheston have done and walk. It's utterly incomparable with an ordinary man because the situation at Rovers is utterly unlike any other.

If my company was taken over tomorrow and within 2 years millions had been wiped off its value, my esteemed colleagues replaced by unqualified morons, my 'bosses' (directors in the case of Rovers) comprised of one man totally unqualified in my field and the only real link was a largely unknown entity (Pasha) then I'd be handing in my resignation immediately. It is true that I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure even the most stout defenders of Cheston would be unable to say they wouldn't do the same in that situation.

Unless, of course, there was something in it for myself. In that case I'd probably have to think twice about walking away.

I think the difference with Cheston compared to a Williams, Myers or Shaw is that Cheston is a relative nobody who is unlikely to be wealthy enough to just chuck in the towel and is unlikely to be able to get another top job straight after leaving this.

Williams was close to retirement age when he left us and his reputation effectively guaranteed him another top job if he wanted it after Rovers, and so it has shown with him now running WBA. Myers has a network of friends and would always be able to go back to his media work with Sky or to Everton. Shaw had made his money in business and I understand was effectively part time at Rovers anyway so probably isn't losing anything but status by walking away from here. Cheston has no such luxuries so I expect that is why he continues to put himself through this.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't been trying to get a similar job as a finance director at different clubs though.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Clearly the fact that supporters find these events worthwhile is reason enough for doing them.  I thought last night was better than the previous ones and the information that came out worth hearing.  The owners clearly have no intention of selling the club with investment continuing to go into the facilities at Brockhall.  At the end of the day Mike Cheston is an employee and like the rest of us who work for a boss you ultimately have to follow the instructions you are given and make the best of them.  It seems to me that Cheston and some hard working folk at Ewood are trying to make the best of the present situation.  I know that isn't popular with many on here but there is a far wider fanbase than BRFCS and certainly the group who I attend with felt last night was a worthwhile event.  As with everything in life different folk have different views.

A pointless exercise imo tbf to TM he probably made the best  out of a awkward situation but it really wasn't about a q and a with Tony 

Anyone thinking or believing deloitte and KPMG were paid a nice chunk for what MC said is a dreamer or someone who most definitely hasn't worked in a corporate environment 

We all know in a lot of situations people are paid to do certain jobs and can't say what they really want to and is obviously the case .. That goes on in most companies..

but your patronizing knows no bounds Parson 

Cheston appears to be a bit of a patsy. He is being asked to front up for the whole dysfunctional charade and explain decisions that he has had no input into. The Coyle saga, an appointment probably made when Coyle's advisers got in touch with whatever idiot advisers the Venky's are using and told them he was incredibly cheap, is a case in point. The 'outstanding candidate' garbage was just the words of a lackey, albeit a well-paid one.

59 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The group you attend with would probably find being locked in a dark room anywhere in Ewood a worthwhile event to be frank, but that doesn't help the wider fan base get answers to the important questions.

Just to remind you and Chaddy, these meetings come from commitments made by the EFL as part of the Government’s Expert Working Group on Supporter Ownership and Engagement which made a series of recommendations in 2016.

These are not intended as Q&A sessions with the bleedin manager!

These are sessions where fans should be demanding answers, and if those answers are not forthcoming should be taking steps along with the EFL to obtain those answers. Local MP's, The FA or members of the working group should be attending to see what a sham these have already become.

Thanks to Madon and Mike for the updates.

It really irks me that Radio Lancashire seem to be running the show when it is a Supporters Consultation meeting with the club representatives. I understand that they are there to vet the questions and try and screen any awkwardness away from the club representatives but surely the likes of Cheston should be able to answer any difficult questions. Mowbray at least appears to understand some of the frustrations we have suffered under the Indian ownership.

As somebody said it appears to be simply a box ticking exercise and we have to pretend that all is well.

The one good thing that seems to have come out of this is that Mowbray is (at least) showing that he empathises with the supporters, and is trying to develop a good relationship with us. IMHO he's the first Venky's era (barfs) manager to make a genuine attempt to do that. I always felt that previous managers used Venky's as an excuse to fail, but he clearly understands that the backroom operation is a shambles but is determined to do well in spite of it.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It really irks me that Radio Lancashire seem to be running the show when it is a Supporters Consultation meeting with the club representatives. I understand that they are there to vet the questions and try and screen any awkwardness away from the club representatives but surely the likes of Cheston should be able to answer any difficult questions.

Well they are an 'Official Club Partner' after all...

I'll never forget Chestons words and conduct with the Coyle saga, clearly he was shafted but just like Shaw he's happy to sit there and be made to look a fool of for his 30pcs of silver. He sat there and lied to fans now he's back tracking this again shows him up and just how the club is, shrugs shoulders 'not my fault gov'

Owners or whoever appoint another SEM man Coyle a proven donkey and one who's appearance was always going to cause widespread angst, lose more fans and almost guarantee failure. Owners = 'Not our fault relegation is the managers fault'

Why didn't Cheston stand up to them on the Coyle appointment knowing all this ?  Yes man, of course he is but still !

Then they get in 2 firms of expensive accountants because they still don't know what they are doing and they clearly have no faith in leaving those who they pay to do these things to come up with any safe strategy.

Whole thing is still an absolute farce just a more watered down one these days apart from Mowbray at least talking sense about the football side of it but what chance he has overall i'm really not sure.

Meanwhile everything is run through a man in the shadows paid by the club but who clearly thinks fans are peasants. A man who consults with the Cheston, the only director, as well as 'others around the club' hmmm ! A man by the way who worked for Kentaro.........

People still lap this crap up.

34 minutes ago, dinglebasher said:

The one good thing that seems to have come out of this is that Mowbray is (at least) showing that he empathises with the supporters, and is trying to develop a good relationship with us. IMHO he's the first Venky's era (barfs) manager to make a genuine attempt to do that. I always felt that previous managers used Venky's as an excuse to fail, but he clearly understands that the backroom operation is a shambles but is determined to do well in spite of it.

I think the fact that Mowbray admits he can see the passion of the fans and their point of view, yet also understands the owners reluctance to attend matches, suggests that he might be able to try and steer a middle course which can only be of benefit to the club.  He gave the impression that he felt the owners were decent people and he hoped to show them that the club can be turned around.  He talked about the bounce that the likes of Norwich and Southampton got by winning promotion out of League One and that was his aim.

51 minutes ago, Gav said:

The group you attend with would probably find being locked in a dark room anywhere in Ewood a worthwhile event to be frank, but that doesn't help the wider fan base get answers to the important questions.

Just to remind you and Chaddy, these meetings come from commitments made by the EFL as part of the Government’s Expert Working Group on Supporter Ownership and Engagement which made a series of recommendations in 2016.

These are not intended as Q&A sessions with the bleedin manager!

These are sessions where fans should be demanding answers, and if those answers are not forthcoming should be taking steps along with the EFL to obtain those answers. Local MP's, The FA or members of the working group should be attending to see what a sham these have already become.

As far as I can see Gav, “the club” (the owners and decision makers) aren’t really taking their obligation to this meeting seriously. Making all the talk about football and letting Mowbray wax lyrical about it - no matter how honest or controversial - is letting “the club” off the hook. I expect that even the EFL pay lip service to these things just so as to be seen to be appeasing fan lobby groups such as the FSF but let’s face it, no real questions are being taken nor any real answers provided.

It would be interesting to know how other clubs’ fan meetings go (particularly those in similar situations to us) and also to know if the FSF feel these meetings do have the intended effect: holding the club’s owners accountable to the fanbase whom they serve.

All that seems to have happened at Rovers is that all of the dissenting voices have walked away from the whole charade and the faces at the top table in these meetings are delighted in every way except financially. Oh, and that sickly feeling that I expect Mike Cheston gets in the pit of his stomach when he wakes up on the day of one of these meetings pantomime performances.

Its loud and clear, that all the skulduggery, in the past will remain buried forever. No comment to be made on Coyle, which was the most recent farcical event. Relegation was the Managers fault, but yet no one has been honest or brave enough to come out and explain, exactly how his appointment came about and who appointed him. Coyle was given a job that was way beyond him and everyone knew that apart from the person, who appointed him? So whose fault is it really?

By the sounds of it Mowbray was very forthright and stated that if he doesn't gain promotion, he expects to be sacked. Hopefully we will be promoted, but if not, what then? Mowbray goes and we bring in another chancer to take the blame, if we fall even further?

Interesting comments re: Tomlinson. Would be a shame if he's been derailed by off-field issues. Hope it's just a short-term thing. Would help answer why Harper was brought in, and Mowbray apparently being more enthused by Hardcastle and Grayson among our young midfielders.

12 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Interesting comments re: Tomlinson. Would be a shame if he's been derailed by off-field issues. Hope it's just a short-term thing. Would help answer why Harper was brought in, and Mowbray apparently being more enthused by Hardcastle and Grayson among our young midfielders.

They could be family issues or anything though 

Hopefully he gets sorted alright 

16 minutes ago, lraC said:

Its loud and clear, that all the skulduggery, in the past will remain buried forever. No comment to be made on Coyle, which was the most recent farcical event. Relegation was the Managers fault, but yet no one has been honest or brave enough to come out and explain, exactly how his appointment came about and who appointed him. Coyle was given a job that was way beyond him and everyone knew that apart from the person, who appointed him? So whose fault is it really?

By the sounds of it Mowbray was very forthright and stated that if he doesn't gain promotion, he expects to be sacked. Hopefully we will be promoted, but if not, what then? Mowbray goes and we bring in another chancer to take the blame, if we fall even further?

Ya, we need to hope he gets us promoted, because, if not, what comes after him could be very bleak. 

I am just getting the feeling more and more that we are going to end up in the play-offs....

The recommendation made by the Government Expert Working Group in November 2015 was: 'Senior representatives from the clubs - either club owners, directors and/or senior executive management - should represent the club at these meetings'

No mention of the manager/head coach/coaching staff. Notice also plural representatives, owners, directors.

They tried to satisfy that aspect by hurling Robert Coar onto the top table but now they aren't even trying and just put Cheston and the manager there.

Archived