BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

4 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Yes, the fan who starts his post with 'In my humble opinion...' has an agenda to push. Is wanting the best for your club an agenda? Is seeing what is right in front of your eyes an agenda? 

Do you honestly think that KPMG and Deloitte advised Venky's to spend MORE money. And Venky's listened?!? 

Can't wait for all these signings tonight. 

But there have been a lot of signings already? Do they have to be on deadline day or something? 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But there have been a lot of signings already? Do they have to be on deadline day or something? 

No. Just to the required level of a team with ambitions of promotion will suffice. 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

SIGH.

Pretty sure dozens of posters have spent time out to explain this falsity to you and a handful of others already. It's like you don't want to listen.

We are still on a minus of players in vs players out. We are still the smallest squad in LEAGUE 1. We are still missing at least, on a minimum, 3 players of quality to be in the first 11. They may have finally had an outlay on players but quite frankly it still falls way short of the mark. Are you really at the point where you are now accepting mediocrity?

There's no way on Earth what they have done this summer relates to 'good business'. Relative to our previous 3 transfer windows it is 'adequate'. Relative to the transfer windows of ambitious clubs it's shocking.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

SIGH.

Pretty sure dozens of posters have spent time out to explain this falsity to you and a handful of others already. It's like you don't want to listen.

We are still on a minus of players in vs players out. We are still the smallest squad in LEAGUE 1. We are still missing at least, on a minimum, 3 players of quality to be in the first 11. They may have finally had an outlay on players but quite frankly it still falls way short of the mark. Are you really at the point where you are now accepting mediocrity?

There's no way on Earth what they have done this summer relates to 'good business'. Relative to our previous 3 transfer windows it is 'adequate'. Relative to the transfer windows of ambitious clubs it's shocking.

I agree with you on incomings but it will be a good window of we keep the likes of Mulgrew and Lenihan.I didn't for one minute think we would hold on to Mulgrew

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I agree with you on incomings but it will be a good window of we keep the likes of Mulgrew and Lenihan.I didn't for one minute think we would hold on to Mulgrew

You are right. For our recent transfer form it is good that we hang onto our better players. In fact, I'm actually very happy with the outgoings. We've got rid of dead wood and we are looking like keeping hold of our talent. That's exactly what a team aiming for automatic promotion should be doing. Christ, Bolton managed it.

However the incomings has left a bit to be desired. It started off looking like a fantastic window with the acquisitions of Smallwood & Dack (two competitive, league 1 players) and even the promise of Whittingham. Samuel has, of course, been nothing short of inspiring since coming.

Since then, Chapman aside, it has been less than exciting. Caddis looks vulnerable, Gladwin is awful, Whittingham looks like he's finished and that Swiss-Canadian bloke is surely a squad filler.

So despite having a squad even smaller than last years the additions we have made haven't even come close to replacing the dross we got rid of.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Are there actually any bids in for Lenihan?Sheffield United look to have moved on?

probably not, but likely risks all around - Bristol City supposedly interested should they lose Aden Flint during the window, Brentford look likely to be losing 2 centre backs and Ipswich maybe knocked back on a loan from Brighton that's falling apart - even 12 months ago we wouldn't have dreamed that our players would see those clubs as advancement, but sadly probably true now...........

wholly unrelated, but Birmingham signing Jason Lowe and allegedly chasing Alex Song

- Redknapp maybe pulling off a deadline day Song and Dunce act..............

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You keep making this point even though it's been countered by many posters on here many times. BDS turning into the new Chaddy. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

probably not, but likely risks all around - Bristol City supposedly interested should they lose Aden Flint during the window, Brentford look likely to be losing 2 centre backs and Ipswich maybe knocked back on a loan from Brighton that's falling apart - even 12 months ago we wouldn't have dreamed that our players would see those clubs as advancement, but sadly probably true now...........

wholly unrelated, but Birmingham signing Jason Lowe and allegedly chasing Alex Song

- Redknapp maybe pulling off a deadline day Song and Dunce act..............

Birmingham also linked with a loan move for Jack Wilshere as well. The Arry effect, they'll be bankrupt 3 years from now. 

Just now, islander200 said:

And close to signing Jota from Brentford for 6 million,Arry just loves Deadline day

Jota is a class player, great signing for them. An aging Alex Song and our old boy Lowey, less convincing mind.  EDIT: Song is only 29, might turn out to be a bit of genius from the dodgy dealer. 

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

And close to signing Jota from Brentford for 6 million,Arry just loves Deadline day

I don't know how he continually manages to find clubs and owners prepared to play the game. Same old story with him everywhere he goes. Like a kid in a sweet shop on deadline day with deals all over the place and loads of money spent.

Maybe its Redknapp who deliberately holds back on spending until the last minute. Don't get it myself. If they're going to throw money around why not do it weeks ago when the season was starting?

12 minutes ago, Butty said:

Jota is a class player, great signing for them. An aging Alex Song and our old boy Lowey, less convincing mind.  EDIT: Song is only 29, might turn out to be a bit of genius from the dodgy dealer. 

Bloody hell, Barcelona to Birmingham all in his twenties. Crikey...

29 minutes ago, BlueMonday59 said:

I suspect if they bid £2m for Lenihan Venky's would bite on that.

The sticking point on Vs transfer out policy these days seems to be wanting a big lump down straight away and I would think the smaller the fee is likely to be the bigger lump they'll demand upfront.

40 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

SIGH.

I love giving Venkys a shoeing as much as the next man but I think we actually have a decent sized squad? 

20 players with significant experience at this level or higher and three young players (Tomlinson, Wharton and Nuttall) who are likely to feature. 23 is pretty average for a squad isn't it?

Just now, BlueMonday59 said:

I suspect if they bid £2m for Lenihan Venky's would bite on that.

If I thought for one minute that the £2.0 million would be spent on the team I might bite on that also. But we all know that if this happened the money would go in the same drawer that the Rhodes, Hanley, Duffy, Marshall money went in.

Archived