BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I love giving Venkys a shoeing as much as the next man but I think we actually have a decent sized squad? 

20 players with significant experience at this level or higher and three young players (Tomlinson, Wharton and Nuttall) who are likely to feature. 23 is pretty average for a squad isn't it?

I've gone through the squad and - assuming everyone stays - in terms of numbers we probably only have a case for needing another left back and one centrehalf. You could stretch for a fifth striker but Dack and Whittingham are likely to play as second strikers I think.

Quality wise theres a lot up for debate but numbers wise we aren't far off.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Butty Givet,  why would I have ever mentioned such a thing before transfer deadline day? 

I'm not expecting us too make a load of signings today, that centre back from Motherwell would do me provided we kept hold of everyone else. I just think your point that we've made plenty of signings is incorrect as we've lost a lot more than we've brought in and if we get a few injuries our squad will be looking light, particularly in defence.

Incidentally - what an unbelievable mess Arsenal are in. Ox has chosen Liverpool simply because he feels the wheels have come off. I'll be very surprised if Sanchez stays.

Can't see Wenger lasting now. Really shoddy ending to a great managerial career, but then again he had so many opportunities to turn things around, and spent a huge amount of cash, and they've just kept on sliding for the last 4 years or so.

I don't think the players will play for him, and the fans will want him out in force now.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Incidentally - what an unbelievable mess Arsenal are in. Ox has chosen Liverpool simply because he feels the wheels have come off. I'll be very surprised if Sanchez stays.

Can't see Wenger lasting now. Really shoddy ending to a great managerial career, but then again he had so many opportunities to turn things around, and spent a huge amount of cash, and they've just kept on sliding for the last 4 years or so.

I don't think the players will play for him, and the fans will want him out in force now.

Wenger is the definition of the old "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" saying. Arsenal's problems have been glaringly obvious for as long as I can remember, but every single window he refuses to address them. Fair play to him for keeping them in the top four for as long as he did (or perhaps shame on the other PL teams directly below Arsenal) but they have been well and truly taken over by the likes of Liverpool and Spurs. A 6th or 7th placed finish is not out of the question this season imo. 

Just now, DE. said:

Wenger is the definition of the old "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" saying. Arsenal's problems have been glaringly obvious for as long as I can remember, but every single window he refuses to address them. Fair play to him for keeping them in the top four for as long as he did (or perhaps shame on the other PL teams directly below Arsenal) but they have been well and truly taken over by the likes of Liverpool and Spurs. A 6th or 7th placed finish is not out of the question this season imo. 

Can't be doing with the bloke, but Fergie showed how to evolve yourself and your team over decades. Wenger doesn't. 

A real shame as he built a team, the like that i had never seen before, but as above, teams have caught them and passed them now.

On the flip side, people mock the 4th thing, but he is without question their most successful manager ever. Pre Wenger they would fluctuate from near the top to mid table.

Trouble with Wenger is he inherited the British spine of the team and the British mentality but never replaced that once it had gone after he'd bolted some seriously good players onto it.

Should have signed Samba & NZonzi years ago, not British obviously but suited to our style and they'd have fitted in well in the middle of his flair players imo.

Great opportunity for him to step down after winning the cup last season but seeing as they'd spent most of last year hiding the fact he'd signed a new contract it was probably just sheer relief all around when he won that. It'll end in tears though the man doesn't know what a defender is.

I think Wenger was a touch fortunate at times. He inherited one of the best back fours the english game has ever had.

He also joined at a time when english clubs where way behind in things like diet, sports science, fitness, scouting.

He implemented all them things, dropped on a golden generation of french signings and the rest is history.

Once all the other clubs adopted the same things he hasnt been able to reach the top again

3 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Pullis must rate this west brom youngster to hand him a premier league debut at 17. I'd be happy to take him

What with a view to signing permenantly or just to gain experience.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree. The young Harper lad from WBA will be on a loan basis if he ends up signing. The LT doesn't mention Henderson from Celtic, but presumably that'd be a permanent.

I can't claim to know much about either fella, but you'd have to be cagey about getting a kid in on loan. If he does sign, I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe Rakeem Harper is the God CM. I just hope his wages will be Paid in Full by West Brom.

So to summarise based on this, it looks like we may be in this position come 11pm tonight.

In
Rakeem Harper (WBA - loan)
Ben Heneghan (Motherwell - permanent)

Out
Danny Graham (unknown - permanent)

Bunkum
Paul Gallagher (Preston - permanent)

21 minutes ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

If it's just to gain experience, I'd rather we gave some of our own a chance.

Agreed.At least with Chapman he Is in the last year of his Boro contract so if he enjoys his time here and does well we may have a chance getting him on a perm.

We have a cat 1 academy of we don't give some If them a chance while we are league 1 then no point spending the millions it takes to be Cat 1

6 minutes ago, rossyrover said:

Why are we considering taking a 17 year old Rakeem Harper on loan when we have players in our under 23 squad that need to experience first team football?

It's not about taking a loan player or signing a permanent player, it's about the quality of the player.

If the kid from West Brom is a worldie, you take him. You don't compare him to our own kids.

Archived