BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

Just now, JHRover said:

Don't know about their qualities as never seen any of them play (or I might have done but don't recall doing) but what it does scream is 'no more money'

Maybe a little of that but we where bidding cash on a center half until Sheffield united came in.

We have covered positions everyone flagged up as problems this Harper boy has been on radar for s while so the manager obviously sees something but a debut two divisions higher slowed it down on the whole I'd say its been a good window.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Boaty said:

The 3 most uninspiring transfers in the history of transfer deadline day. Whoever is running the twitter account is taking the @#/? 

You never know, this might be the final nail in the coffin or these youngsters might be the rebirth.  I'll judge them down the line.  I can't imagine people were over the moon when we signed the likes of Nelsen, Samba and N'Zonzi.

Just now, GreenRover said:

Bit of experience in League One anyway

IMG_2984.PNG

Continuing our habit of signing players who've completely lost their way !

As the big cheese in this league we really should be capable of doing a lot better but the illusion we have money to spend has been blown away now I think.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Personally, think this hasn't been a bad window for us.  The players we wanted to keep are all still here and we've made a number of additions, admittedly one or two still have to prove themselves.  However, for a League One club with limited resources I'm pleased with the outcome this window.  Now it's up to the manager and his staff to get the best out of them and mount a promotion challenge.  

He can't say it's not his "team" can he! Chuffed we've kept Mulgrew more than anything.

Just now, tomphil said:

Continuing our habit of signing players who've completely lost their way !

As the big cheese in this league we really should be capable of doing a lot better but the illusion we have money to spend has been blown away now I think.

We've spent more than anyone else in this league this summer and the lad you quoted has been an ever-present in this league for the last 5 seasons. Apart from that. good points:)

21 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Can you imagine how much @#/? you would've taken on here if you claimed at the start of the summer we'd hang on to Mulgrew, Lenihan, and Graham, have a net transfer spend of about £500k-£750k, including buying Dack, sold Steele for £500k, got Feeney's wages off our books for a few months (I assume), brought in Whittingham and Smallwood, plus a few other depth signings. You would've been tarred and feathered.

Plus a couple young loans, though I'm sure that would cause outrage among a few too.

Feel free to quibble with depth at CB, or maybe not giving some academy lads a change, but this is faaaar from what many assumed would happen. Kinda funny really.

Haha, I even spoke too soon. Can't speak for the quality of our three signings today... but still makes me laugh the contrast between the start and end of the window.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Personally, think this hasn't been a bad window for us.  The players we wanted to keep are all still here and we've made a number of additions, admittedly one or two still have to prove themselves.  However, for a League One club with limited resources I'm pleased with the outcome this window.  Now it's up to the manager and his staff to get the best out of them and mount a promotion challenge.  

Parson you watch most youth games are Tomlinson,Doyle or Travis not ready?.The Hart transfer is odd,went to Port Vale for 6 months but was sent back.The Port Vale fans reckon he is woeful.I really don't see the point with this signing.

Before anyone tells me again our young lads ain't good enough just remember we did the same thing last summer bringing in highly rated young players and it ended with arguably our most talented youngster in Mahoney refusing to sign a new contract and leaving the club.Could he be blamed when he seen the likes of Byrne and Samuelson coming in and blocking his path to the first team

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We've spent more than anyone else in this league this summer and the lad you quoted has been an ever-present in this league for the last 5 seasons. Apart from that. good points:)

Alternatively we've also let more players depart than most and even with today's arrivals have one of the smaller squads in the league. Most other clubs had their back-ups in the building weeks ago whilst we've spent the day running around for some squad fillers.

There's two sides to every story. Of course some positives, mainly retaining players who should be very good in this league, but also some negatives too. One thing can't be disputed and that is that Mowbray has had it his way this summer so no excuses for a poor season.

Surely today was just providing cover for the first team. The biggest news is who has stayed. Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham staying is huge. I think we all factored them leaving so to have retained all of them is a massive bonus.

As for today, well we got bodies in for positions we needed more cover. That at least is something. To expect anything more would be fancyfull given our situation.

All in all. A decent window. The squad is good enough to go up. There are no excuses. 

I suspect Downing was a last-resort signing, what with the lack of article and daytime photos!

I've never heard of him before, but he's a centre back on loan with experience, so @islander200 will be delighted I should think.

12 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Well there is the centre back cover everyone was crying about.

I know we didn't sign messi and Ronaldo like we wanted, but apart from that I'm not sure this window could have gone much better with our finances and owners.

Literally mind blown that nobody came in for Mulgrew

Just because everyone was crying out for a centre back doesn't mean we have to be satisfied with this one, anyone.

We'll be satisfied if he's any good.

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's good he has experience but the point still stands we should be able to take other teams better players in this league not their bench fodder. Anyway we'll see, maybe it'll give Ward a kick up the arse.

You have to bear in mind TM probably had different targets depending on his budget. With nobody leaving his budget was peanuts. If somebody left then maybe the targets would have been different. Hence the last minute deals when he realised everyone was staying except that pile of turd feeney

Just now, tomphil said:

It's good he has experience but the point still stands we should be able to take other teams better players in this league not their bench fodder. Anyway we'll see, maybe it'll give Ward a kick up the arse.

Hopefully, although he did come close to resembling a footballer against MK Dons. Probably knew Downing was watching from the bench;)

Just now, islander200 said:

The Hart transfer is odd,went to Port Vale for 6 months but was sent back.The Port Vale fans reckon he is woeful.I really don't see the point with this signing.

Why is it relevant to you what the Port Vale fans think of him? West Brom fans think Harper is going to be a top player, but you still think that signing is bad!

Just now, Phil T said:

I suspect Downing was a last-resort signing, what with the lack of article and daytime photos!

I've never heard of him before, but he's a centre back on loan with experience, so @islander200 will be delighted I should think.

Ha we did need a centre half and fingers crossed everyone stays fit so he will only be cover.

Reading some comments about Harper he looks to have something about him but il be expecting to add something if he is blocking our own young players coming through.

That hart looks like another Stephen Hendre though and a pointless signing.

I just don't want what happened with Mahoney happening to our other promising youngsters.We lost Mahoney because we messed him about so much bringing in dross and putting them in the first team squad when he proved to be the better option.

If i was Tomlinson,Doyle etc I would not be happy

Just now, Phil T said:

Why is it relevant to you what the Port Vale fans think of him? West Brom fans think Harper is going to be a top player, but you still think that signing is bad!

It's not just what the fans said ,he was sent back from Port Vale which does not say much about him at all

Archived