BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Parson you watch most youth games are Tomlinson,Doyle or Travis not ready?.The Hart transfer is odd,went to Port Vale for 6 months but was sent back.The Port Vale fans reckon he is woeful.I really don't see the point with this signing.

Before anyone tells me again our young lads ain't good enough just remember we did the same thing last summer bringing in highly rated young players and it ended with arguably our most talented youngster in Mahoney refusing to sign a new contract and leaving the club.Could he be blamed when he seen the likes of Byrne and Samuelson coming in and blocking his path to the first team

All three are more than worth taking a chance on.  Tomlinson has developed into a holding midfield player, Doyle and Travis are used as wing-backs.  I expect all three to figure at some point this season.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Who will we miss that we owned?

That's not really the issue. We could have let the entire squad leave if we felt they weren't good enough, but they still need replacing, both in terms of quality and numbers. 

In terms of quality some look like good additions, or should be when fit and up to speed, others the jury remains out as to whether they will be any more useful than those they have replaced. 

Just now, Parsonblue said:

All three are more than worth taking a chance on.  Tomlinson has developed into a holding midfield player, Doyle and Travis are used as wing-backs.  I expect all three to figure at some point this season.

Then that Hart in particular is a very strange signing. 

Just now, islander200 said:

It's not just what the fans said ,he was sent back from Port Vale which does not say much about him at all

Reading into it, he was sent back when a new manager took over. The port vale response I've seen on Twitter is that he was one of the original manager at the start of last seasons better signings. I'll give the kid a chance but hopefully he is purely used to cover Williams for now. 

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

What are you basing that on? Mowbray has said he isn't happy with the depth of the squad yet hasn't managed to bring anyone in. I know why I think that is.

3 players signed today with Feeney out. 

4 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

59665172c1ed5_VenkyFax.png.11f1609591e6c995b7aceb748b5f0deb.png

Unplugged

Really? Wrong again but no surprise really is it?

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Just admit that we need one as youve previously implied, rather than blindly accept that everything Mowbray does must be right.

Dont get the point of this 17 year old at all.

Oh shut up 

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Didnt chaddy say mowbray is happy with our current left backs...

Underwhelmed. Never heard of him.

Seems more like a wing back option

55 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

"We need a left back we need a left back"

Left back signs.

"But but but I wanted a different left back"

Let's see if the lads any good before we start blasting the signing shall we.

Exactly but some are never happy

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

All 3 of todays signings scream of bottom of the barrel. Not sure any would get in the squad if everyone was fit.

No surprise. Never happy..

At least give them a chance ffs

Just now, islander200 said:

Then that Hart in particular is a very strange signing. 

Depends whether Mowbray sees Doyle as a player who might be moved to play further forward on the left wing if Conway picks up injuries or loses form.  He has done that for the Under-23's in the past and looks very comfortable as an attacking wing-back.

18 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not impressed with the MK lad at all and the taps, once again, seem to have been firmly turned off, but the big news today is Mulgrew and Lenihan staying. We've got the best squad in the league, now it's time to make it tell.

Clearly no bids for those two is why we have been reduced to low level activity. If we don't get promoted with the taps turned off you do start to wonder what comes next.It is obviously now hurting them financially. Well that makes me feel good in a weird way- I hope it hurts them just Half as much as they have hurt us.

Bottom line is we are still owned and operated by total feckwits and the club still teeters on the edge of the abyss.

13 players signed. 

9 permanent and 4 loans. 

Mowbray has got strength in depth now. No moaning just get on with it and get promotion. 

Harper seems talented and highly rated

Hart? No idea

Downing is a back up centre half and very experience league 1 defender. What people wanted. 

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Tony's miniscule contacts book strikes again.....

Or maybe it was our miniscule bank balance. Tony's done a f@###/@ good job in his recruiting for a league one side. We are no longer a club that can attract a Levandowski or Zidane, so let's just see what this group of players can do now.  

Mulgrew was going, Lenihan wasn't injured but was leaving, Graham wanted out. The Venkys would stitch us all up at 11pm. 

So much negativity has plagued these pages for months, now lets get behind Tony Mowbray's blue and white army!!!!!

Just now, JHRover said:

That's not really the issue. We could have let the entire squad leave if we felt they weren't good enough, but they still need replacing, both in terms of quality and numbers. 

In terms of quality some look like good additions, or should be when fit and up to speed, others the jury remains out as to whether they will be any more useful than those they have replaced. 

You said we've let more leave than most teams. We've now replaced the majority.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Depends whether Mowbray sees Doyle as a player who might be moved to play further forward on the left wing if Conway picks up injuries or loses form.  He has done that for the Under-23's in the past and looks very comfortable as an attacking wing-back.

Hart's played on the wing too and it appears he's better going forward than back.

1 hour ago, Beanie01289 said:

Paul downing from mk dons

He is the nephew of former footballer and manager, and current assistant head coach of West Brom Keith Downing. His older brother Leigh was formerly at the West Bromwich Albion academy as a scholar.

Again nepotism rife throughout Football and the academy system a breeding ground for sons and nephews and all that of pros ex pros, coaches, managers who all get their sons in academy Football at the expense of natural talent.I have a real problem with this and I've nothing against this lad but his history suggests nepotism in getting a contract at West brom.  I hope I'm proved wrong but I doubt it 

Uncle academy manager ...sad

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

3 players signed today with Feeney out. 

Indeed. I'll hazard a guess that the combined outlay on the 3 arrivals is less than the money we're saving on Feeney's wage. I'll also bet that these 3 deals were only given the go-ahead once the wheels were in motion on the Feeney to Cardiff move.

If you want to call me negative for pointing out those things then fine, I'm not trying to be negative just trying to dispel this myth that Mowbray has been given some warchest and carte blanche by the owners to bring in who he wants. To me it seems he's been allowed to bring in 3 cheap players once space has been freed up on the wage bill.

Just now, JHRover said:

Indeed. I'll hazard a guess that the combined outlay on the 3 arrivals is less than the money we're saving on Feeney's wage. I'll also bet that these 3 deals were only given the go-ahead once the wheels were in motion on the Feeney to Cardiff move.

If you want to call me negative for pointing out those things then fine, I'm not trying to be negative just trying to dispel this myth that Mowbray has been given some warchest and carte blanche by the owners to bring in who he wants. To me it seems he's been allowed to bring in 3 cheap players once space has been freed up on the wage bill.

Mowbray seems to be doing exactly the same as Furphy, Lee and Kendall did when we were in this League in the past - balance the books by selling players and then using some of the resources to bring in the players they want.  Such is life in the lower leagues.

Pretty solid day. Mulgrew and Lenihan still here. And Graham. Feeney - a player who causes me to groan whenever he gets anywhere near the pitch - out for now. No idea about the new players. Will take a view when they play for us. 

It's a shame because it would only take a few bits of quality in the right areas to add to what we have to get out of this league. The expense which only need be modest would be well worth it be these lot won't work like that now,

I think the auditors have set down a budget and that's it, there'll probably need to be a cashing in or two in Jan when money is running low but hopefully by then we should have the first 11 sorted and be in a good position but you always feel it's inevitable there'll be a kick in the nuts at some point.

The squad is still very competent though so it's all down to Mowbray to gel it, if he doesn't we'll have a version of what he did at Cov where there was a lot of questionable tinkering and some poor signings.

Over to you Tony no excuses now they've not sold the best from under you so far unlike the last 3 gaffers !

• Backroom

I would have been happy with today if we kept Lenihan and Mulgrew and signed nobody so I'm not going to overreact that we have made some, on paper uninspiring or even a little baffling additions.

Happy with the lad from West Brom, confused about the others but we are low on numbers and can't imagine these are breaking the bank.

A good day all in all

Archived