BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Mowbray seems to be doing exactly the same as Furphy, Lee and Kendall did when we were in this League in the past - balance the books by selling players and then using some of the resources to bring in the players they want.  Such is life in the lower leagues.

Which is fine if the club is honest about it, but the manager has said repeatedly this summer that incomings aren't dependent on outgoings. If they were honest that the money had run out and they needed to generate cash by letting players leave then fine.

I hope we aren't becoming accustomed to life in the lower leagues. According to the club this is a 'temporary setback' with promotion back to the Championship the expectation. In keeping hold of the personnel we have I think that is the requirement this season. If things go to plan and we go up then we're going to need some substantial investment to compete in the Championship. Selling first to buy second might do the job for the time being but longer term I don't think it will work.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray has been given some warchest and carte blanche by the owners to bring in who he wants. To me it seems he's been allowed to bring in 3 cheap players once space has been freed up on the wage bill.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that, the main outcome predicted was all the quality released, sold or paid off to be replaced by 5/10 young loans. 

The owners cannot be blamed for failure this season in isolation, we are all aware their continued negligence will likely find some way to hinder us, but in respect of the squad - despite cutting cost, we've seemingly a better balance on paper.

Alas, on the grass is what counts.

Just now, JHRover said:

Which is fine if the club is honest about it, but the manager has said repeatedly this summer that incomings aren't dependent on outgoings. If they were honest that the money had run out and they needed to generate cash by letting players leave then fine.

I hope we aren't becoming accustomed to life in the lower leagues. According to the club this is a 'temporary setback' with promotion back to the Championship the expectation. In keeping hold of the personnel we have I think that is the requirement this season. If things go to plan and we go up then we're going to need some substantial investment to compete in the Championship. Selling first to buy second might do the job for the time being but longer term I don't think it will work.

It's where we are JH.  Sheffield United spent six years at this level, we did four during our first spell down at this level - nobody can tell what will happen in the future.  All we can do is take it one step at a time and hope that Mowbray can take the club into a challenging position at the top end of this League.

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

13 players signed. 

9 permanent and 4 loans. 

Mowbray has got strength in depth now. No moaning just get on with it and get promotion. 

Harper seems talented and highly rated

Hart? No idea

Downing is a back up centre half and very experience league 1 defender. What people wanted. 

But you've written in the post above "At least give them a chance  ffs". But it seems from above that you've made your mind up without having seen them play. It's not as if they are household names and we know their abilities is it?

The least you can do is to follow your own advice.

I actually agree with you, let's see what they are actually like before we judge. I'm not optimistic, you are, that goes without saying!

The WBA lad seems the most likely to make an impact.  The other 2 are bizzare really.  A cb who couldn't get in a team we walloped 4-1 and a kid from an under 23 team.  Clearly the lad from Motherwell was the main target.  May as well have just used our youth players.  Anyway, we wee with willy we've got.

Lets hope our main players stay injury free.

Can't wait for Rochdale :brfc:.  Hate international breaks.

Very surprised and delighted to keep Lenihan in particular. Loooks like Sheffield United went for the cheaper option in our planned target Ben Heneghan.

Heres a thought......

Despite their undertold millions from Premier League status,the dingles permanently shop at poundstretcher in the transfer window. Dyche brings in the cheapest options humanly possible in transfer fees AND wages. Players just have to be extremely fit,physically strong,and VERY motivated. Their low-cost neanderthal football seems to work. Parsimony that passeth all human understanding.....

So whats the problem with some freebies and loans? At least it keeps a bit of powder dry for the next(January) transfer window.

59 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

So whats the problem with some freebies and loans? At least it keeps a bit of powder dry for the next(January) transfer window.

Freebies means they aren't too good

Loans are a problem if we are in the shyte and need a fight to avoid relegation. They abandon ship and don't want to be associated 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Indeed. I'll hazard a guess that the combined outlay on the 3 arrivals is less than the money we're saving on Feeney's wage. I'll also bet that these 3 deals were only given the go-ahead once the wheels were in motion on the Feeney to Cardiff move.

If you want to call me negative for pointing out those things then fine, I'm not trying to be negative just trying to dispel this myth that Mowbray has been given some warchest and carte blanche by the owners to bring in who he wants. To me it seems he's been allowed to bring in 3 cheap players once space has been freed up on the wage bill.

Dont agree at all. We agreed for Motherwell centre back for 500k. So money is there to spend. 

We have 3 signings. A talented midfielder, unknown left back and experience league 1 defender. 

Feeney leaving is good news as he wasnt starting here so best to let him leave

we show flashes of what used to be a proud football team, but flatter to decieve ultimately culminating in just missing out on the play-off places and another long hard slog in the depths of... while upstairs in the places that matter, controlled by the people that dont give a cluck about anything but them and theirs.......... the decline continues.

welcome to Venkyland

sorry for the outburst haha, i just so sick of this now, i want more than anything to see competent people running this club, im not Kim jong Un i promise, that takeover is off, although the FA would probably allow it if enough palms got greased!

As everyone is saying, it could have been much much worse. At least we have depth in numbers and options.

It also means that the kids get into the team on merit and not out of desperation.

This should be a squad good enough to get automatic promotion. Let's see if they deliver.

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

I can't imagine people were over the moon when we signed the likes of Nelsen, Samba and N'Zonzi.

Oh you're quite right, don't worry about that. Some people weren't happy when we bought Shearer, as we already had Speedie. 

6 hours ago, 47er said:

Just because everyone was crying out for a centre back doesn't mean we have to be satisfied with this one, anyone.

We'll be satisfied if he's any good.

Quite. Judging the players after you've seen them play. Seems fair and reasonable to me.

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think I'd rather have AN Other....better than this shower 

And how many times have you seen any of them play?

Looks like we've now got a bit more strength in depth in those positions. I've no idea if they're any good though, I hadn't heard of any of them until about 9 hours ago.

Like many others I find it a little strange that we're bringing in young lads when we have our own who should be knocking on the door. Having said that the West Brom lad does sound extremely promising and the Liverpool left back appears to be more like a wing back than perhaps anyone else that we already have in that area. The centre half? No idea. 

i suppose when you have young lads providing cover in some positions then it's prudent to double up. I just hope our lads who have come through the Academy get a fair crack of the whip. I've barely seen them play though so don't ask me if they're any good or not - but the U23 results are good.

Finally, I can't believe we didn't sell Lenihan or Mulgrew or Graham. I suspect we've spent far more than everyone else in the division? We should be fair set now you'd think with this squad to "give it a real go". We shall see.

Rovers have made some good signings in this transfer window. Samuel, Dack, Chapman, Smallwood. 

Caddis, Whittingham, Gladwin?Antonsson have been poor and need to improve. 

Luetwiler hasnt played yet. 

Nuttall has be impact for Rovers 23's so far. 

Then our new signings to add to them. 

This is Mowbray squad now. Top 6 mimimum and we should be top 2 tbh. By end of the season

Harper looks like he's got a bright future in the game so looking forward to seeing him that should be a good signing for us , Hart a bit of a strange one when you consider we already have Doyle and as for Downing , from what the MK fans are saying at least , doesn't sound too clever, having said that Mulgrew and Lenighan will be our first choice C/B's so this guy is here really to stop Elliott Ward getting In the line up ... Not a bad thing in my opinion 

Archived