BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Selling first to buy second might do the job for the time being but longer term I don't think it will work.

We havent done that though have we?

Bids for Lenihan have been resisted, Mulgrew is still here against all expectations and contrary to the reports emanating from Mercer's extensive network of contacts, as is Graham. (Although I would have offloaded him personally)

Whilst I often agree with most of what you say you seem to be getting very agitated about some back up players coming in on the strength of offloading the useless Feeney.

On the day we were relegated last season anyone predicting Mulgrew and Lenihan would still be here on Sep 1st would probably have been carted off in a padded jacket. For that reason alone I think it's been a decent window, even more so when you consider we've got rid of Lowe and Feeney. I'd have gone further and cleared out a few more of the players that took us down like Graham Bennett and Williams but you can't have everything.

Whether or not it turns from a decent window into a very good one depends on the performance of the new arrivals. I think everyone is more or less in agreement about the impact made by the individuals concerned thus far but three or four at least look very promising and I can rarely remember a window when every signing we made was an unqualified success. Even Hughes signed some rubbish like Berner Rigters and Julio Santa Cruz.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking Mowbray signed the left back so that potentially Williams can play centre half. 

As for the centre half, didn't people say they wanted an experienced league 1 centre half? We sign one and people are complaining that they have never heard of him. Can I ask those complaining, how many league 1 centre halves could you name? 

Great window. Lots were banking on Lenihan and Mulgrew leaving, didn't happen. Our best window since venkys took over. 

The thing is that sometimes you have to throw our talents in so they can sink or swim. There is only so much you can learn in training. If we are 4-1 up why not throw in Tomlinson instead of Harper. Whats the point retaining cat 1 if we arent gonna use our talents. Or at the very least loan them out so they can get experience.

I don't think anybody is doubting the fact that the window has been successful in terms of retaining players. For the first time in a few windows we've actually managed to retain our better players. However, what can be said is that our 'better players' now aren't of the quality our previously 'better' players were, Mulgrew excluded.

The last minute loan deals is something I expected. However, this Downing lad came from left field. It leads me to believe he was 3rd/4th choice. Good management by Mowbray to have other options lined up but perhaps disappointing we weren't able to secure our first or second option. This comes back to what JHRover is saying in that it certainly relied on a player going before we had the green light to bring in others. It tears apart this myth that Venkys are now positively investing.

The young left back is weird too. The talk of Doyle leads me to believe he's a capable player - is this lad better than him or does TM not trust Doyle? Or, and what I hope is true, Mowbray realises Williams isn't a good LB. Has decided that he will be better served as a centre half and has bought this lad in to back up Doyle. That would leave us with Mulgrew, Lenihan, Ward, Williams and Downing as centre halves. If that's the case then good business. If this lad has come in to be #2 LB behind Williams and Doyle has gone to #3 then Mowbray can swivel.

Rakeem can provide some youthful exuberance in games were Evans/Smallwood/Dack tire. I still hope Tomlinson gets a chance as I really rate him. I certainly hope and believe this young lad can displace Glad-awful which is a positive.

I'd have liked another centre forward because Anton-never is, well, crap. With DG knowing he's going nowhere though it might just be a kick up his slightly overweight jacksy.

Positive, yes. A good window relative to our previous ones. The incomings have left a lot to be desired in areas though.

Just now, DE. said:

Pleasantly surprised we kept Mulgrew for now, but don't forget there's another window in January.

Indeed. Vitally important that we are around the top of the table at the turn of the year if we want to ensure that the better players want to stick it out.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Pleasantly surprised we kept Mulgrew for now, but don't forget there's another window in January.

That's like landing perfectly on a runway at Manchester and responding "we could always crash next time"...

Surpised Lenihan stayed. I hope his head is still in the right place. Graham too needs to come to terms with the new reality.  

We have pace up front for the first time in years in Samuels, Chapman and Nuttall. Hopefully the lad from WBA can offer that in midfield where it has been lacking as well.

I think the makings of a team is there. Just hope Mowbray can get the mix right. 

No reason why we cannot have a real go at promotion now. Maybe Wigan are stronger than us but I see no reason why we cannot be ambitious now for the first time in a long while.

• Moderation Lead

By and large, I'm content with our dealings this transfer window.

We've kept hold of our better players that were linked with moves away like Mulgrew, Lenihan and Bennett (surprising that another poster wanted to sell the latter as he was one of the ones that 'took us down' :blink:), but such is life and it's a team game anyway. I'm also hopeful that Graham might get his head down and graft as he's here until at least January now.

We've also got some cover at CB and LB which we were crying out for.

Though now, we have absolutely no excuses for not getting promoted.

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

All seems a bit desperate now.  A friend who is a Liverpool season ticket tells me he knows little about the lad and he's nowhere near the 1st team squad at Anfield.

Shocker. You're telling me that a player going to league 1 is nowhere near Liverpool's first team squad? 

I was thinking we might get Coutinho...

Just now, DE. said:

No, it isn't. 

See FGS for my sentiments;

1 minute ago, FGS5635 said:

Its a very glass half empty approach. At least be happy for a while he has stayed.

Especially as he has shown no ambition publicly to leave. His performances and attitude have been top class

58 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We havent done that though have we?

I said some weeks ago that Mowbray had used up his budget and that there would only be incomings if/when somebody left. Fortunately for us that person is Feeney rather than a more damaging departure. I believe that the reason we were bringing people in so late yesterday was because we were waiting for that loan move to Cardiff to be sealed before the 'powers' would sanction additions to the wage bill and that those who have been added to the wage bill will be on less than Feeney.

I'm not agitated, I'm not jumping to any conclusions on the abilities of those signed, I'm not going to lose any sleep over Feeney not being here though I fully expect him to go to Cardiff and do well at the top end of the Championship. All I'm doing is pointing out what I think has been the most likely way of it and the reason we brought 3 unheard of players in at the 11th hour rather than much sooner.

I don't believe for one minute we were going to sign the Motherwell lad for £500,000 before being pipped by Sheffield Utd and so turned our attentions to loaning someone from MK Dons' bench. I think we were lining up the Motherwell lade to come in incase there was a defensive departure yesterday, which fortunately there wasn't.

When we sold Steele the other week Mowbray said that it was done purely to generate funds to enable squad strengthening.

“I’m looking at the options.

“There’s a few people looking at our players at the moment and thinking we are vulnerable, but my message is loud and clear, we are not vulnerable financially.

“If anyone leaves it will be my decision and done because the money and salary will be used to strengthen other parts of the team"

However the estimated £500,000 received for Steele has not been reinvested into signings. Since his departure we have added 4 loans and brought in the young lad from Liverpool. So whilst the wages of Steele and Feeney will have been partially reinvested, the cash received has seemingly been used to cover other outgoings i.e. the previous signings or wages.

That's my honest take on it. Not negative or positive.

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

1. We've also got some cover at CB and LB which we were crying out for.

2. Though now, we have absolutely no excuses for not getting promoted.

1. I thought Doyle and Wharton was cover personally but I can understand why TM wanted more experience or different options here. 

2. This is precisely why he's signed them two defensive backups - we don't have time to bed in young players who's highest ever consistent experience level is youth/reserve. I agree, this squad is good enough on paper to be promoted, down to TM to get them playing on grass.

Just now, K-Hod said:

By and large, I'm content with our dealings this transfer window.

We've kept hold of our better players that were linked with moves away like Mulgrew, Lenihan and Bennett (surprising that another poster wanted to sell the latter as he was one of the ones that 'took us down' :blink:), but such is life and it's a team game anyway. I'm also hopeful that Graham might get his head down and graft as he's here until at least January now.

We've also got some cover at CB and LB which we were crying out for.

Though now, we have absolutely no excuses for not getting promoted.

Bennett's career has been in steady decline for a number of years and he now finds himself lining up in League 1 even though he is only 29 ish and should theoretically still be at the peak of his powers.

No one at Championship level or higher has snapped him up and that isn't because he's been playing particularly well or busting a gut in recent times.

Even Lowe and Feeney have found gigs at the higher level which speaks volumes about Bennett.

Just now, EgyptianPete said:

Only the same as our fans with Feeny and Lowe

Errmmmm..... maybe not the best examples to use.

Just now, JHRover said:

I said some weeks ago that Mowbray had used up his budget and that there would only be incomings if/when somebody left. Fortunately for us that person is Feeney rather than a more damaging departure. I believe that the reason we were bringing people in so late yesterday was because we were waiting for that loan move to Cardiff to be sealed before the 'powers' would sanction additions to the wage bill and that those who have been added to the wage bill will be on less than Feeney.

I'm not agitated, I'm not jumping to any conclusions on the abilities of those signed, I'm not going to lose any sleep over Feeney not being here though I fully expect him to go to Cardiff and do well at the top end of the Championship. All I'm doing is pointing out what I think has been the most likely way of it and the reason we brought 3 unheard of players in at the 11th hour rather than much sooner.

I don't believe for one minute we were going to sign the Motherwell lad for £500,000 before being pipped by Sheffield Utd and so turned our attentions to loaning someone from MK Dons' bench. I think we were lining up the Motherwell lade to come in incase there was a defensive departure yesterday, which fortunately there wasn't.

When we sold Steele the other week Mowbray said that it was done purely to generate funds to enable squad strengthening.

“I’m looking at the options.

“There’s a few people looking at our players at the moment and thinking we are vulnerable, but my message is loud and clear, we are not vulnerable financially.

“If anyone leaves it will be my decision and done because the money and salary will be used to strengthen other parts of the team"

However the estimated £500,000 received for Steele has not been reinvested into signings. Since his departure we have added 4 loans and brought in the young lad from Liverpool. So whilst the wages of Steele and Feeney will have been partially reinvested, the cash received has seemingly been used to cover other outgoings i.e. the previous signings or wages.

That's my honest take on it. Not negative or positive.

Don't really understand your point on Steele. Cant remember if anyone else cost fees but the fee for Dack alone was quoted as being 750k so does it really matter whether he came in before or after Steele?

How much should we be expected to spend as a League one club with next to no income still losing money hand over fist?

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bennett's career has been in steady decline for a number of years and he now finds himself lining up in League 1 even though he is only 29 ish and should theoretically still be at the peak of his powers.

No one at Championship level or higher has snapped him up and that isn't because he's been playing particularly well or busting a gut in recent times.

Even Lowe and Feeney have found gigs at the higher level which speaks volumes about Bennett.

Nobody snapped up Mulgrew either does that speak Volumes?

We reportedly resisted approaches from Qpr for Bennett.Don't see your problem with the guy,Not saying he is a world beater but he always gives 110 percent and had played a lot better than a lot in our squad yet I don't see you calling them out.Is it because he was a Lambert signing?

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't really understand your point on Steele. Cant remember if anyone else cost fees but the fee for Dack alone was quoted as being 750k so does it really matter whether he came in before or after Steele?

How much should we be expected to spend as a League one club with next to no income still losing money hand over fist?

Samuel was reportedly 500k 

Just now, islander200 said:

Nobody snapped up Mulgrew either does that speak Volumes?

We reportedly resisted approaches from Qpr for Bennett.Don't see your problem with the guy,Not saying he is a world beater but he always gives 110 percent and had played a lot better than a lot in our squad yet I don't see you calling them out.Is it because he was a Lambert signing?

No it's because he's crap. As are Ward and Graham (since he signed a permanent deal.)

Those 3 were Lambert's only permanent signings I think. Given the fact his loan dealings were imo even worse it meant the squad was in critical condition before the even more inept Coyle arrived.

I'd go with the concensus about retaining our better players who I think will be pivotal to any success we might have this season. I am pleased that Feeney is out of the door albeit temporarily. I have to confess to not knowing anything about the three incoming players but the signing of Hart is interesting. I do wonder if he will replace Williams who has been poor so far or he will play further up the pitch as a wing back. I really hope it is the former and Mowbray does not start tinkering with the formation again. The West Brom lad probably gives us something different and we have another centre half in the squad. As to their quality time will tell.

In all honesty I'm glad the window is now closed.

Archived