BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No it's because he's crap. As are Ward and Graham (since he signed a permanent deal.)

Those 3 were Lambert's only permanent signings I think. Given the fact his loan dealings were imo even worse it meant the squad was in critical condition before the even more inept Coyle arrived.

We will have to agree to disagree as I don't think Bennett is crap,we have a lot worse players.Ward il agree with you

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No it's because he's crap. As are Ward and Graham (since he signed a permanent deal.)

Those 3 were Lambert's only permanent signings I think. Given the fact his loan dealings were imo even worse it meant the squad was in critical condition before the even more inept Coyle arrived.

So your well documented dislike of Lambert transcends into the players he signed. You are in a tiny minority with your opinions about Bennett - does that not tell you something?

• Backroom
30 minutes ago, Biz said:

See FGS for my sentiments;

My main point is that yes, it's nice that Venky's haven't sabotaged us this window, but history suggests at some point they will. It's not glass half empty, it's just learning from experience. Comments talking about having a squad to compete for promotion aren't taking into account the fact we could end up dismantled in January. This window closing as it is means that we have four months of being able to use this squad. That's all I'm banking on. 

• Moderation Lead
33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bennett's career has been in steady decline for a number of years and he now finds himself lining up in League 1 even though he is only 29 ish and should theoretically still be at the peak of his powers.

No one at Championship level or higher has snapped him up and that isn't because he's been playing particularly well or busting a gut in recent times.

Even Lowe and Feeney have found gigs at the higher level which speaks volumes about Bennett.

I think you're being incredibly harsh about one most hardworking and best players in our squad, but there we go. You've clearly got a bee in your bonnet about this player because of who signed him, the mask slipped in one of your following posts, so I'll leave it at that and keep my counsel.

Steele has also been snapped up at Championship level and Mulgrew hasn't, I'm sure both of us would rather have the latter.

Also based on what you said re where people are plying their trade right now, you could say that about Scott Dann and Josh King who both largely flattered to deceive when here and are now playing just the two divisions above where we currently are....

Just now, DE. said:

My main point is that yes, it's nice that Venky's haven't sabotaged us this window, but history suggests at some point they will. It's not glass half empty, it's just learning from experience. Comments talking about having a squad to compete for promotion aren't taking into account the fact we could end up dismantled in January. This window closing as it is means that we have four months of being able to use this squad. That's all I'm banking on. 

Venkys might find out we've been relegated or get round to reading the accountants reports they paid for and decide in January to sell everyone they can to recoup some money. Alternatively IF we go up it might reignite some interest from them and we might see some real investment for the first time since 2012. Impossible to predict with lunatics.

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Venkys might find out we've been relegated or get round to reading the accountants reports they paid for and decide in January to sell everyone they can to recoup some money. Alternatively IF we go up it might reignite some interest from them and we might see some real investment for the first time since 2012. Impossible to predict with lunatics.

I know what I'd bet on. You can count the number of good decisions they've made on a hand with no fingers.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

So your well documented dislike of Lambert transcends into the players he signed. You are in a tiny minority with your opinions about Bennett - does that not tell you something?

Bennett could score a hatrick in every game between now and the end of the season and Rev will still say he's a poor player, there's no point in even arguing with him, he'll never admit he was wrong.

Just now, arbitro said:

Lambert decimated our squad at a time when we needed a serious rebuild by neglecting to extend the contracts of the players that needed extending, signing a load of crap on loan, making disappointing permanent signings and selling our most valuable asset on the last day of the transfer window knowing imo full well it didnt matter a jot to him because he wasn't going to be here beyond the break clause in his contract.

Coyle imo recruited better  loan wise than Lambert but couldn't organise a defence meaning we went down and Mowbray has been left trying to rebuild the Club from the ground up with little or no money and trying to repair the cluster**** left by the previous 2 managers.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Bennett could score a hatrick in every game between now and the end of the season and Rev will still say he's a poor player, there's no point in even arguing with him, he'll never admit he was wrong.

There's absolutely no chance of that though is there. In fact ill bet you a pint or fiver for charity he doesnt score 5 in the League this season.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There's absolutely no chance of that though is there. In fact ill bet you a pint or fiver for charity he doesnt score 5 in the League this season.

Your obsession with slating Bennett is really weird. I'll take you up on that bet. 

I may be mistaken, but I'm sure bennets best football was when lambert played him wing back at Norwich. He hasn't played there for us much since we signed him really.

With Tony's desire to play 3 at the back he may get some game time there going forward. His skillset seems suited for that role. He has the work rate needed to get up and down, he's a decent crosser of the ball. Time will tell I guess but his time here so far has been fairly average at best

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lambert decimated our squad at a time when we needed a serious rebuild by neglecting to extend the contracts of the players that needed extending, signing a load of crap on loan, making disappointing permanent signings and selling our most valuable asset on the last day of the transfer window knowing imo full well it didnt matter a jot to him because he wasn't going to be here beyond the break clause in his contract.

Coyle imo recruited better  loan wise than Lambert but couldn't organise a defence meaning we went down and Mowbray has been left trying to rebuild the Club from the ground up with little or no money and trying to repair the cluster**** left by the previous 2 managers.

Lambert was here between November and May, so why on earth would he organise contract renewals when he said he was going to leave at the end of the season, before May? :blink: If he'd been staying, fair enough, but it's not his job to decide who the next guy wants!

That season we signed Matt Grimes, Jordi Gomez, Tony Watt, Danny Graham on loan and Elliott Ward and Elliott Bennett permanently.

Coyle signed Jack Byrne, Martin Samuelsen, Stephen Hendrie, Sam Gallagher and Tommie Hoban on loan. He signed Gordon Greer, Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Feeney, Danny Graham, Wes Brown  and Anthony Stokes permanently.

It's debatable at best that Coyle 'recruited better loan wise' when Byrne, Samuelsen and Hendrie barely kicked a ball in anger for us!

Just now, FGS5635 said:

I may be mistaken, but I'm sure bennets best football was when lambert played him wing back at Norwich. He hasn't played there for us much since we signed him really.

With Tony's desire to play 3 at the back he may get some game time there going forward. His skillset seems suited for that role. He has the work rate needed to get up and down, he's a decent crosser of the ball. Time will tell I guess but his time here so far has been fairly average at best

I hope TM puts this 3 at the back to bed. When we have played 4 at the back we've looked a lot more solid and got 2 great league wins out of it. I don't care about possession, fancy football or the 'right way' to play right now. I want ugly, solid, get-rid-of-the-thing defending and 3 points every week.

4 at the back with Smallwood and Evans providing cover in the middle. Let the front 4 play fluid football. Simple but effective.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I hope TM puts this 3 at the back to bed. When we have played 4 at the back we've looked a lot more solid and got 2 great league wins out of it. I don't care about possession, fancy football or the 'right way' to play right now. I want ugly, solid, get-rid-of-the-thing defending and 3 points every week.

4 at the back with Smallwood and Evans providing cover in the middle. Let the front 4 play fluid football. Simple but effective.

That would be my preference also, but his signings yesterday all seemed to be aimed at 3 at the back imo.

I've no issue with 3 at the back as long as its with an attacking mindset, with attack minded wing backs. Playing it with normal full backs just turns it into a back 5 with no width and we are really predictable and easy to defend against

Just now, Butty said:

Your obsession with slating Bennett is really weird. I'll take you up on that bet. 

No problem. Ill be pleased to pay out but id rather he scored 10+ which we should be expecting our wide players to aspire to.

(Bet limited to first ten customers so I can have a good night in Blues)

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bids for Lenihan have been resisted, Mulgrew is still here against all expectations and contrary to the reports emanating from Mercer's extensive network of contacts, as is Graham. (Although I would have offloaded him personally)

I don't get this sentiment at all, unless you think Graham is going to somehow adversely affect other team members.

Graham has gone of the rails, but I'd rather have him here than not, in the hope that Mowbray can sort him out. There'll come a time this season where goals from other strikers dry up, and will be clamouring for someone like Graham to step in.

He's still got a future here. He's proven that he can score for us, and in reality, he should be playing in the Championship. On paper, and if early reports of Antonsson are anything to go by, I'm not sure we could've replaced him with anything better.

Not read very much about the reaction to our business, but yes it's good to hold onto the players we have held onto - although that doesn't actually strengthen us. Two young lads and an MKDons reserve doesn't seem to me to be the best way to strengthen the squad either. 

We still look a bit frail. Results will show whether we have the best squad in the league - as some fans believe. I'm not convinced about that at all.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Lambert was here between November and May, so why on earth would he organise contract renewals when he said he was going to leave at the end of the season, before May? :blink: If he'd been staying, fair enough, but it's not his job to decide who the next guy wants!

That season we signed Matt Grimes, Jordi Gomez, Tony Watt, Danny Graham on loan and Elliott Ward and Elliott Bennett permanently.

Coyle signed Jack Byrne, Martin Samuelsen, Stephen Hendrie, Sam Gallagher and Tommie Hoban on loan. He signed Gordon Greer, Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Feeney, Danny Graham, Wes Brown  and Anthony Stokes permanently.

It's debatable at best that Coyle 'recruited better loan wise' when Byrne, Samuelsen and Hendrie barely kicked a ball in anger for us!

Of Lambert's loan signings, only Grimes was a miss. Gomez, Watt and Graham all played their part in keeping us in the Championship that season. Meanwhile of Coyle's loans only Gallagher can be considered a success. 

Just now, K-Hod said:

Grimes never kicked a ball. Gomez's heart clearly wasn't in it. Watt clearly wasnt fit even though it was January/Feb (How does that work?) and you've forgotten another duff signing in the 4 ft 2 " Simeon Jackson.

On the plus side for Coyle, Gallagher and Hoban pre injury were decentish and Emnes who you've forgotten was imo real quality.

Permanently the acquisition of Mulgrew beats that of Ward into a cocked hat. And no I haven't suddenly become Owen's agent it just shows how limited Lambert is.

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Nobody snapped up Mulgrew either does that speak Volumes?

We reportedly resisted approaches from Qpr for Bennett.Don't see your problem with the guy,Not saying he is a world beater but he always gives 110 percent and had played a lot better than a lot in our squad yet I don't see you calling them out.Is it because he was a Lambert signing?

The difference between Mulgrew and Bennett is that the injuries notwithstanding the former has performed admirably in a Blackburn Rovers shirt and the latter hasn't.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I said some weeks ago that Mowbray had used up his budget and that there would only be incomings if/when somebody left. Fortunately for us that person is Feeney rather than a more damaging departure. I believe that the reason we were bringing people in so late yesterday was because we were waiting for that loan move to Cardiff to be sealed before the 'powers' would sanction additions to the wage bill and that those who have been added to the wage bill will be on less than Feeney.

I'm not agitated, I'm not jumping to any conclusions on the abilities of those signed, I'm not going to lose any sleep over Feeney not being here though I fully expect him to go to Cardiff and do well at the top end of the Championship. All I'm doing is pointing out what I think has been the most likely way of it and the reason we brought 3 unheard of players in at the 11th hour rather than much sooner.

I don't believe for one minute we were going to sign the Motherwell lad for £500,000 before being pipped by Sheffield Utd and so turned our attentions to loaning someone from MK Dons' bench. I think we were lining up the Motherwell lade to come in incase there was a defensive departure yesterday, which fortunately there wasn't.

When we sold Steele the other week Mowbray said that it was done purely to generate funds to enable squad strengthening.

“I’m looking at the options.

“There’s a few people looking at our players at the moment and thinking we are vulnerable, but my message is loud and clear, we are not vulnerable financially.

“If anyone leaves it will be my decision and done because the money and salary will be used to strengthen other parts of the team"

However the estimated £500,000 received for Steele has not been reinvested into signings. Since his departure we have added 4 loans and brought in the young lad from Liverpool. So whilst the wages of Steele and Feeney will have been partially reinvested, the cash received has seemingly been used to cover other outgoings i.e. the previous signings or wages.

That's my honest take on it. Not negative or positive.

While it's almost comical to use this as my 'evidence', given the lighting of their signing pictures, Harper and Hart seem to have been wrapped up by late afternoon/early evening (and Mowbray apparently had the funds to bring in Harper weeks ago before WBA wanted to name him in a lineup). Downing seems to have been the only 'panic' addition. Hence, while I can't outright dismiss your suspicion that Heneghan couldn't be wrapped up until Feeney was out the door and/or Mulgrew/Lenihan was suddenly sold, I'm curious how you can't "believe for one minute" that a Championship squad pipped Heneghan from us. Sheffield United is obviously a more attractive option being a level above us. Mowbray hinted about Feeney's departure a few days ago, so he was probably gone regardless (and you're probably the only one on here remotely confidant of him being a top-half Championship player all of a sudden haha)

The storyline of us initially bidding £250-£350k for Heneghan, getting rejected, and then apparently some Championship squads jumped in with interest, which will obviously turn Heneghan's head to greener pastures, so Mowbray had to quickly secure a backup CB, isn't exactly far fetched. I can't entirely dismiss your theory... I'm just perhaps perturbed by your confidence in it!

Not quite sure what you're getting at with Steele. With Raya emerging, he was obviously surplus to requirements, so you can almost look at the £500k as 'free' money in the first place (minus the cost of bringing in Leutwiler). You can't look at the Steele outgoing in a vacuum. We had already brought in Whittingham, Smallwood, Dack, etc., so perhaps those additions had been made under a budget that assumed Steele was going out (Mowbray was probably aware Steele was heading out long before it actually happened). Maybe it enabled us to sign Samuel rather than a freebie striker, who knows really. Also depends how you decide the £500k should be spread out over the next few years, or reinvested all at once... we are a loss-making club overall (like any football club really). You seem to be assuming that each move is made on a case-by-case, like-for-like basis, when they are all likely made under the umbrella of a larger budgetary plan. (I know, I know, I'm hinting at Venky's actually having 'plans', excuse me)

As I laid out in another post, we're still likely losing ~£5m as a club this year. Whether our net transfer spend is £1m, £500k, or -£500k, whatever, it doesn't make all that much of a difference.

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Grimes never kicked a ball. Gomez's heart clearly wasn't in it. Watt clearly wasnt fit even though it was January/Feb (How does that work?) and you've forgotten another duff signing in the 4 ft 2 " Simeon Jackson.

On the plus side for Coyle, Gallagher and Hoban pre injury were decentish and Emnes who you've forgotten was imo real quality.

Permanently the acquisition of Mulgrew beats that of Ward into a cocked hat. And no I haven't suddenly become Owen's agent it just shows how limited Lambert is.

Gomez scored some very important goals for us, but yeah, his heart wasn't in it, I'm sure...... Simeon Jackson who I had forgotten, was poor admittedly, but still managed to bag a couple.

Hoban scored the winner away at Forest but other than that, I barely remember what he did while he was here.

I had thought Emnes was a Mowbray signing tbh and he was only good when he could be assed, which didn't seem to be that often.

Mulgrew was a cracking signing of Coyle's, no doubt about that and we are lucky he's still here (who Lambert had tried to sign for us in January incidentally), but then stacked against Brown and Greer it balances itself out a bit more.....

Just now, K-Hod said:

Gomez scored some very important goals for us, but yeah, his heart wasn't in it, I'm sure...... Simeon Jackson who I had forgotten, was poor admittedly.

Hoban scored the winner away at Forest but other than that, I barely remember what he did while he was here.

I had thought Emnes was a Mowbray signing tbh and he was only good when he could be assed, which didn't seem to be that often. (Incidentally he's a free agent now, so what does that tell us??).

Mulgrew was a cracking signing (who Lambert had tried to sign for us in January incidentally), but then stacked against Brown and Greer it balances itself out a bit more.....

Keep on grinding that axe young man.

Don't need to grind it, his record since he went to Villa speaks for itself.

I was so excited when he was appointed as well. The Club and Composition of the squad needed shaking up from top to bottom and I thought he was just the man to do it. But he didn't address the major problems on the playing side at all imo. (Which you wouldn't necessarily if you were keeping your options open to jump ship after a few months)

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't need to grind it, his record since he went to Villa speaks for itself.

I was so excited when he was appointed as well. The Club and Composition of the squad needed shaking up from top to bottom and I thought he was just the man to do it. But he didn't address the major problems on the playing side at all imo. (Which you wouldn't necessarily if you were keeping your options open to jump ship after a few months)

He barely had any time here (6 months total, was it?) and I still feel like he'd tried to address the defence more than any manager under these goons. Though granted, this was at times to the detriment of the attacking side of the team. Can't really blame him for jumping ship after getting mugged off by Venky's.

Things ultimately ended underwhelmingly under him, but Christ, show me a manager under these idiots that hasn't come up short in the end!

Archived