BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

26 minutes ago, DE. said:

Of Lambert's loan signings, only Grimes was a miss. Gomez, Watt and Graham all played their part in keeping us in the Championship that season. Meanwhile of Coyle's loans only Gallagher can be considered a success. 

Coyle's signing were all disasters and demonstrates that the story, last week about him being brought in without an interview, over Cheston's head and instead of Warnock, beggars belief. Perhaps someone at the club can tell us why and then stand up and be counted? Did Coyle make the decision to bring Stokes in for example, or was that decided, before appointing him? If so, what was/is still going on?

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't need to grind it, his record since he went to Villa speaks for itself.

Is it that bad? He kept Villa up for 2 years with a small budget and cutbacks from a disinterested owner. Granted the football was dire but I'm sure they'd take bottom half Premier League over where they are now. His record with us was average but interestingly better than the likes of Jokanovic and Wagner who took over at Fulham and Huddersfield at similar times in similar positions yet over time have done very well. He did enough to keep us up whilst turning a £10 million profit on player trading which was mission accomplished for those running Rovers. Then he went to Wolves, took over a confused mess with a bonkers managerial departure in Zenga and a messed up squad and kept them up whilst delivering a good cup run before refusing to play agent games with their owners.

His record might not be brilliant since Norwich but it certainly isn't full of failures. For example it is significantly better than Mowbray's record at Coventry and Middlesbrough. Not a criticism of Mowbray but Lambert left Wolves, Rovers and Villa in better positions than Mowbray left Boro and Cov.

A lot of people don't like him because of his personality/comments whilst manager

Delighted with the transfer window dealings overall. We didn't lose anyone of significance and we've added some real quality - we are stronger than last season. 

Deadline day was underwhelming. I think Harper will be top class and I think the guy from Liverpool has potential, but I can't see any positives in the defender from MK Dons. Never heard of him but if he can't get into a poor MK Dons team then I can't see him doing much here. He'll be 5th choice though. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Is it that bad? He kept Villa up for 2 years with a small budget and cutbacks from a disinterested owner. Granted the football was dire but I'm sure they'd take bottom half Premier League over where they are now. His record with us was average but interestingly better than the likes of Jokanovic and Wagner who took over at Fulham and Huddersfield at similar times in similar positions yet over time have done very well. He did enough to keep us up whilst turning a £10 million profit on player trading which was mission accomplished for those running Rovers. Then he went to Wolves, took over a confused mess with a bonkers managerial departure in Zenga and a messed up squad and kept them up whilst delivering a good cup run before refusing to play agent games with their owners.

His record might not be brilliant since Norwich but it certainly isn't full of failures. For example it is significantly better than Mowbray's record at Coventry and Middlesbrough. Not a criticism of Mowbray but Lambert left Wolves, Rovers and Villa in better positions than Mowbray left Boro and Cov.

A lot of people don't like him because of his personality/comments whilst manager

Can't remember the exact number of senior players Lambert left us with under contract. Was it about 12?

He definitely left the Club without a single senior striker on the books after July 1st.

7 minutes ago, lraC said:

Coyle's signing were all disasters and demonstrates that the story, last week about him being brought in without an interview, over Cheston's head and instead of Warnock, beggars belief. Perhaps someone at the club can tell us why and then stand up and be counted? Did Coyle make the decision to bring Stokes in for example, or was that decided, before appointing him? If so, what was/is still going on?

Mulgrew and Gallagher? 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, OJRovers said:

Initial thoughts are that we are short on pacey wide players and centre backs.

Amazed and happy that we kept Mulgrew Bennett Lenni 

J Lowe still available?

Went to Brum....

Just now, OJRovers said:

Initial thoughts are that we are short on pacey wide players and centre backs.

Amazed and happy that we kept Mulgrew Bennett Lenni 

J Lowe still available?

Wharton, Mulgrew, Williams, Ward and Lenihan can all play centre half. That's 5. Plus the new guy signed yesterday, makes it 6 players for two positions. How many is enough in your opinion? 

Just now, OJRovers said:

J Lowe still available?

Thankfully 'arry has signed him. Hopefully he will take them down as well given the Huddersfield shenanigans last year but he may not get a game as by general consensus Brum have made a couple of really good signings as well.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't remember the exact number of senior players Lambert left us with under contract. Was it about 12?

He definitely left the Club without a single senior striker on the books after July 1st.

Don't blame Lambert for that. I blame Venkys.

Lambert wanted an overhaul and presumably led to believe he would get it.

A mass exodus of players is a regular occurrence here irrespective of the manager. Venkys seem to enjoy it.

I wonder if the same people predicting doom and gloom based on "venkys track record up to now" will use the same excuse for sticking with TM if he is faltering and a replacement might be necessary....

"We can't get rid of TM because they'll just replace him with someone worse"... oh how I was mocked for suggesting something similar!

Just now, JHRover said:

Don't blame Lambert for that. I blame Venkys.

Lambert wanted an overhaul and presumably led to believe he would get it.

A mass exodus of players is a regular occurrence here irrespective of the manager. Venkys seem to enjoy it.

The situation we were already in by the time Lambert arrived wasnt his fault but we needed a guy to come in take the contract situation by the scruff of the neck and stick around long enough to sort it out, not have one eye on the exit door before he even arrived.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wharton, Mulgrew, Williams, Ward and Lenihan can all play centre half. 

I don't think we'll be seeing Wharton for a while. It was revealed earlier this year that his next league appearance triggers a pay rise - and I'm pretty certain he hasn't played since. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

The situation we were already in by the time Lambert arrived wasnt his fault but we needed a guy to come in take the contract situation by the scruff of the neck and stick around long enough to sort it out, not have one eye on the exit door before he even arrived.

Precisely. His stock wouldn't have fallen so much if he'd struggled with no cash under us for a bit, staying up would've been a success. Instead he walks, gets a better job but does no better and loses it. 

Cant help but feel he's another one trick manager, who will forge a career based on two seasons at Norwich for some time yet.

Just now, frosty said:

It was revealed earlier this year that his next league appearance triggers a pay rise - and I'm pretty certain he hasn't played since. 

By who and where? You do realise "Tomphils top ITK tips" isn't a real thing? 

Just now, Biz said:

By who and where? 

The player himself. Got a couple of mates that know him. 

It was mentioned a lot on here earlier in the year when we were picking virtually any centre back combination possible that didn't include Wharton, even when we had loads of injuries.

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mulgrew and Gallagher? 

I rate Mulgrew so fair enough, Gallagher was a loan and although he did well, we went down and he obviously is no longer here. Offset either of those with the money spent on Stokes and how he was signed, despite what was hanging over him. Why was that ever allowed to happen and who made that decision?

Just now, Biz said:

So it's not confirmed and/or evidenced bar "my mate said..."

There literally couldn't be a better source than the player himself. Surprised you don't remember it being mentioned.

I'd rather it not be true, as he's a decent young player and it was poor to see has beens like Brown and Greer picked ahead of him last season, but it's clear it's the case.

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Is the horse's mouth not good enough for you, pal? B)

9 minutes ago, frosty said:

There literally couldn't be a better source than the player himself. Surprised you don't remember it being mentioned.

I'd rather it not be true, as he's a decent young player and it was poor to see has beens like Brown and Greer picked ahead of him last season, but it's clear it's the case.

It's not horses mouth is it? Show me the interview or article that has these quotes? Besides he was loaned out last season to get experience. I'm not defending Coyle for a second, and I like Wharton - but I don't just buy "what my mate who knows him said".

22 minutes ago, frosty said:

I don't think we'll be seeing Wharton for a while. It was revealed earlier this year that his next league appearance triggers a pay rise - and I'm pretty certain he hasn't played since. 

I haven't seen Wharton play, but I do respect that opinions of people on here who have and who suggest he is good enough to command a place, albeit due it due to injuries. Perhaps this can be put directly to TM and we can find out what the thinking is. We should be told, if he is being help back due to a pay rise being triggered, as we don't want another situation like the Connor Mahoney one.

30 minutes ago, frosty said:

So Wharton hasn't been injured? Mowbray's been saying as such for awhile.

There were also rumblings he had some @#/? games for the u23s before being loaned out, and he was benched for a time at Cambridge, but him scrambling in one League Cup goal obviously deemed him ready to be starting Championship CB ;) (I know, I know, maybe compared to the likes of Greer and Brown last year...)

It'd be quite scandalous if we're not willing to dress a young player because of a wage hike clause, particularly when we've been throwing around a decent amount of money for League One. How high could the wage hike possibly be? Jeez, I suppose good on the lad for generally keeping his mouth shut about this if it's true (but given the above, it sounds a bit more far fetched that he's suddenly been frozen out until... his contract expires? What's the end game here? Another possibility is Wharton simply grumbling about a lack of playing time whilst dealing with injuries and inconsistent form himself!)

Come on boys and girls.

If you had asked me what my forecast for this window was when it opened on 1 July, I would have said all high earners off the books and numerically one for one freebie replacements if we were lucky.

What has actually happened is to be honest better than the top end of my hopes.

We have cover in all positions, two or three players who might prove far far better than this level of football and every reason to be optimistic based on the most recent results and, most importantly, all round performances. We even have at least one kid in Chapman who genuinely raises the pulses for all the right reasons when he gets on the ball.

• Moderation Lead

I've just hidden a load of squabbling which was rather avoidable. As ever, if people want to argue with each other in such a way, then take it to private message so the rest of us don't have to see it.

Cheers.

Archived