BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

And when he does play, what will you say then? Because he will play at some stage this season. 

It's funny these stories people have, oh Wharton gets a payrise if he plays, so that's why he hasn't. So how much will he get? Millions? Hardly. I am very sure the reason he hasn't played is nothing to do with him getting  payrise when he plays. It is a ludicrous suggestion after the money spent on players this window. 

So to my original point, is 6 centre halves not enough? 

6 centre halves but only 2 or 3 you could be completely confident of putting into the team. Wouldn't have faith in Williams playing in a back four as one of two centre backs. As a back three he'd be okay but I don't want too see us playing that formation again as it clearly doesn't work. Wharton is lacking in first team experience, Ward looks finished and Downing is a back-up but not that bad and as he is an out and out centre half then fair enough he can play there. Too say we have 6 centre halves is pretty ludicrous though. 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Out of interest, do you believe that Sasha is a paid member of staff at the club? https://www.rovers.co.uk/club/whos-who/ this says not but Cheston says yes. Which do you believe? The documented who's who at Blackburn or the say so of the director of the club? 

I don't know, and I don't think it matters. If the question was; "do you think using paid current or ex agents as advisors is the best way to run a club?" - my answer would be an easy one that we all agree. Named or unnamed, actual pictures (evidence see) of him exist at Ewood, so his title is irrelevant, he's involved.

Its funny you bring sascha into it, I thought this wasn't about venkys? I also mentioned several or multiple sources so why would I respond to some random jibes about paper stories? 

Overall brilliant window I would summarise. 

Feeney out, Steele Out my main priorities. 

We have strength in numbers and in depth. I think Wharton was more than capable to play the role as back up defender I don't think we needed Downing. The team looks like it is learning and getting stronger. I am slightly optimistic so far!

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Coyle made it, some transfers work out, some don't. That's life and that is football. No conspiracy. 

No conspiracy.....then again...

Coyle's connection with a certain agency.

Coyle saying he had never even heard of said agency

Coyle in via back door, while recruitment panel on holiday, thinking they have appointed another candidate.

Coyle being "recommended" by an agent (recent article, although I might have used a different word than recommended)

Coyle's transfers also include Wes Brown and Stokes. I would guess that most (non professional) football supporters would have steered well clear of Coyle and those two signings, in particular- albeit for different reasons. So you might wonder what is going on at (professional) Blackburn Rovers.

Even after all that the club and its supporters had been through, the evil ones were still here less than 12 months ago.

David Vincent knows...

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are right that it could have several points of view. They may not have played him because they didn't deem him worthy of the pay rise offer, they may not have played him because they couldn't afford his pay rise or they may not have played him because Balaji himself rang up and ordered it. However, the simple fact, with all reasoning left unknown, is that Scott Wharton didn't make another appearance last season because of contractual obligations that someone at the club, for whatever reason, didn't want to be met.

I fear that this is what elements of our support has come to in that it they either blindly accept any theory coming out of the club because of their hatred of Venkys or, in your case, because of your feelings towards them 'theorists', blindly reject any information from the club as "banal crap" regardless of its merits. Whilst a lot of stories are dubious to say the least this really isn't a remarkable story - plenty of players in the past have been denied further appearances by clubs due to silly pay rise obligations.

I'm glad you are above all that. So, by your earlier quote asking for articles, you'd only believe something published in the media. I'd call that sheepish behaviour. How many things in the past 7 years have come out in the media, quoted by Rovers' employees, that we all know was utter lies? Coyle was the outstanding candidate weren't he :rolleyes:

Proof, evidence or discussion. I'd say we are having a discussion about it now in which everybody, except yourself, is telling you that it is true. Certainly, it is common knowledge amongst Rovers' fan base that Wharton, for whatever reason, wasn't played last year because of that contract obligation. I'm guessing you'd require his contract leaked and scanned onto here to believe it.

Out of interest, do you believe that Sasha is a paid member of staff at the club? https://www.rovers.co.uk/club/whos-who/ this says not but Cheston says yes. Which do you believe? The documented who's who at Blackburn or the say so of the director of the club? 

I happened to attend the last meeting.

Cheston's visible discomfort at being unable to define Sasha's job title, how he fitted into the club's structure or indeed confirm his real name was an interesting moment.

Just now, roverstdt said:

Overall brilliant window I would summarise. 

Feeney out, Steele Out my main priorities. 

We have strength in numbers and in depth. I think Wharton was more than capable to play the role as back up defender I don't think we needed Downing. The team looks like it is learning and getting stronger. I am slightly optimistic so far!

Wharton is injured at the moment and has been for a while. We can't rely on him for the foreseeable future.

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

3 players signed today with Feeney out. 

Really? Wrong again but no surprise really is it?

Oh shut up 

Seems more like a wing back option

Exactly but some are never happy

No surprise. Never happy..

At least give them a chance ffs

Some very constructive arguments there.

Overall its a good window, a bit of a shambles of a final day but weve kept our best players and added some more to it.

Need to focus on naming a settled side, Raya in net and Caddis/Lenihan/Mulgrew/Williams(sadly but one of the main blots on Mowbrays copybook is the inability to fix our problem position with a senior left back) as a settled back 4.

Central 2 of between Smallwood, Evans and Whittingham who some have written off but we know he has quality, just needs movement.

Wingers, 2 of Conway Bennett and Chapman, and front 2 of between Samuel, Graham (who again has been written off despite being our only proven striker) and Dack.

Main worry is beneath them 14 players, if any of the players beneath that (Downing, Ward, Nyambe, Gladwin and Antonsson for example) are in the side for a lengthy period of time the quality comes tumbling down.

8 hours ago, Biz said:

Precisely. His stock wouldn't have fallen so much if he'd struggled with no cash under us for a bit, staying up would've been a success. Instead he walks, gets a better job but does no better and loses it. 

Cant help but feel he's another one trick manager, who will forge a career based on two seasons at Norwich for some time yet.

Bull. He did a cracking job at wycombe in his short time there and getting norwich two promotions in succession is no mean feat. Even at villa he consolidated them after o'neil wasted all the funds

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I don't know, and I don't think it matters. If the question was; "do you think using paid current or ex agents as advisors is the best way to run a club?" - my answer would be an easy one that we all agree. Named or unnamed, actual pictures (evidence see) of him exist at Ewood, so his title is irrelevant, he's involved.

Its funny you bring sascha into it, I thought this wasn't about venkys? I also mentioned several or multiple sources so why would I respond to some random jibes about paper stories? 

It isn't about Venkys* but the point I was getting at is that not everything that is released as 'official', either by the club or the media, is necessarily true when it comes to Rovers at the moment. In fact, it's more than likely that the opposite is true at the moment and that doesn't make me a conspiracy theorist. It just means I've learnt lessons from the past 6/7 years.

*As a note, even though this isn't a direct attack at them, it's clear to see you want it to be seen that way, it has to be said that these kind of arguments stem from their ownership. This is an attack on the decision made by the club not to utilise Wharton due to a contract issue, whether that decision was made by Cheston or the Venkys is irrelevant.

Then again it could have been made by a number of board members.........HA.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have made some good signings in this transfer window. Samuel, Dack, Chapman, Smallwood. 

Caddis, Whittingham, Gladwin?Antonsson have been poor and need to improve. 

Luetwiler hasnt played yet. 

Nuttall has be impact for Rovers 23's so far. 

Then our new signings to add to them. 

This is Mowbray squad now. Top 6 mimimum and we should be top 2 tbh. By end of the season

Agree there Chaddy.

Mixed bag so far on the incomings and the three yesterday could be good or bad. However having not sold anyone of note, and with our own well-touted youngsters available, Mowbray has created a squad for himself which he cannot complain about (the first manager for years that can say that).

TM needs to get the blend right quickly. Southend and Donny showed if he gets it wrong we are vulnerable. A number of injuries may also take its toll. However I expect we will contend for plays offs and promotion for the first time in 7 years (which we bloody well should because next season will become far more difficult with the inevitable exodus). Hopefully makes for an interesting season.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Grimes never kicked a ball. Gomez's heart clearly wasn't in it. Watt clearly wasnt fit even though it was January/Feb (How does that work?) and you've forgotten another duff signing in the 4 ft 2 " Simeon Jackson.

On the plus side for Coyle, Gallagher and Hoban pre injury were decentish and Emnes who you've forgotten was imo real quality.

Permanently the acquisition of Mulgrew beats that of Ward into a cocked hat. And no I haven't suddenly become Owen's agent it just shows how limited Lambert is.

I know your bitter for some reason Rev but you've still never answered if Lambert was so bad how come he took over a struggling side and left Rovers with the highest win percentage of any manager since Hughes?  

Maybe he was meant to achieve that quickly with more style!

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I know your bitter for some reason Rev but you've still never answered if Lambert was so bad how come he took over a struggling side and left Rovers with the highest win percentage of any manager since Hughes?  

Slightly misleading. He had a worse points-per-game ratio than Bowyer, which is the stat that really matters. Lambert was just Ok. His problem was he thought he was amazing.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Slightly misleading. He had a worse points-per-game ratio than Bowyer, which is the stat that really matters. Lambert was just Ok. His problem was he thought he was amazing.

He also didn't have the time or the squad Bowyer had.

Had he been backed in the summer and had another season I would envisage his stats would have been even better.

21 hours ago, JHRover said:

Which is fine if the club is honest about it, but the manager has said repeatedly this summer that incomings aren't dependent on outgoings. If they were honest that the money had run out and they needed to generate cash by letting players leave then fine.

I hope we aren't becoming accustomed to life in the lower leagues. According to the club this is a 'temporary setback' with promotion back to the Championship the expectation. In keeping hold of the personnel we have I think that is the requirement this season. If things go to plan and we go up then we're going to need some substantial investment to compete in the Championship. Selling first to buy second might do the job for the time being but longer term I don't think it will work.

I think if we don't manage to get promoted this season we will be in a horrendous position next Summer. The best players will leave (poetic licence) and we will be left with total dross for next season. It is blindingly obvious that there is no money to spend any more. They will keep it ticking for now and cover the reduced losses but this will be our one and only shot at getting back to the championship. There will be no cards to play beyond this season and I doubt fans will give them the benefit of the doubt  beyond this season.

So its promotion or bust without putting money in. The plan Mowbray went to India with was obviously ''let me keep what I have and sign a few bodies on negligible money and I think we can get up this season''.

If he fails we will be in a severe mess and I actually think Venkys will bugger off at that point. I suspect that looks like a win /win for most on here!!

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I've just hidden a load of squabbling which was rather avoidable. As ever, if people want to argue with each other in such a way, then take it to private message so the rest of us don't have to see it.

Cheers.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lambert decimated our squad at a time when we needed a serious rebuild by neglecting to extend the contracts of the players that needed extending, signing a load of crap on loan, making disappointing permanent signings and selling our most valuable asset on the last day of the transfer window knowing imo full well it didnt matter a jot to him because he wasn't going to be here beyond the break clause in his contract.

Coyle imo recruited better  loan wise than Lambert but couldn't organise a defence meaning we went down and Mowbray has been left trying to rebuild the Club from the ground up with little or no money and trying to repair the cluster**** left by the previous 2 managers.

Couldn't organise a defence I agree but they did finish 19th the year before Coyle arrived and they then sold his 2 centre halves and didn't replace them  .Some might say that if it was anyone other than Coyle then there would be sympathy with the manager or even an outcry.

Not defending him ...just saying

22 minutes ago, TBTF said:

I think if we don't manage to get promoted this season we will be in a horrendous position next Summer. The best players will leave (poetic licence) and we will be left with total dross for next season. It is blindingly obvious that there is no money to spend any more. They will keep it ticking for now and cover the reduced losses but this will be our one and only shot at getting back to the championship. There will be no cards to play beyond this season and I doubt fans will give them the benefit of the doubt  beyond this season.

So its promotion or bust without putting money in. The plan Mowbray went to India with was obviously ''let me keep what I have and sign a few bodies on negligible money and I think we can get up this season''.

If he fails we will be in a severe mess and I actually think Venkys will bugger off at that point. I suspect that looks like a win /win for most on here!!

You know all this how?  Crystal ball?  Tea leaves?  Tarot cards, what's your secret?

Unrelated to your post, just how do we know that Wharton has this one more game for a pay rise bunkum?  Seems idiotic to me that if the lad is good enough that we would not play him for the sake of a few quid.  Could it not simply be that, in the managers eyes, he's not ready.  Why can it not be  just that simple?

Just now, USABlue said:

You know all this how?  Crystal ball?  Tea leaves?  Tarot cards, what's your secret?

Unrelated to your post, just how do we know that Wharton has this one more game for a pay rise bunkum?  Seems idiotic to me that if the lad is good enough that we would not play him for the sake of a few quid.  Could it not simply be that, in the managers eyes, he's not ready.  Why can it not be  just that simple?

Happy to hear your counter argument.   like I said just my opinion

So....I reckon we now have 29 players in the squad. Here they are:-

Keepers:  Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher

Right backs: Caddis, Nyambe, Travis

Centre backs: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Ward, Downing, Platt, Wharton

Left backs: Williams, Hart, Doyle, 

Centre Midfield: Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Harper, Tomlinson

Right midfield: Bennett, Chapman, Dack 

Left midfield Conway, Gladwin 

Strikers: Samuel, Graham, Antonsson, Nuttall

That is a good number of available players.

If we base the team on Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Smallwood, Chapman,Dack and Samuel, then add players like Bennett, Nuttall, Conway and maybe this Harper chap, I think we have an exciting season ahead. That's not a starting 11 of course. Just players I rate and hope to rate.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

If we base the team on Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Smallwood, Chapman,Dack and Samuel, then add players like Bennett, Nuttall, Conway and maybe this Harper chap, I think we have an exciting season ahead. That's not a starting 11 of course. Just players I rate and hope to rate.

Sums it up for me

Archived