BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Some very constructive arguments there.

Overall its a good window, a bit of a shambles of a final day but weve kept our best players and added some more to it.

Need to focus on naming a settled side, Raya in net and Caddis/Lenihan/Mulgrew/Williams(sadly but one of the main blots on Mowbrays copybook is the inability to fix our problem position with a senior left back) as a settled back 4.

Central 2 of between Smallwood, Evans and Whittingham who some have written off but we know he has quality, just needs movement.

Wingers, 2 of Conway Bennett and Chapman, and front 2 of between Samuel, Graham (who again has been written off despite being our only proven striker) and Dack.

Main worry is beneath them 14 players, if any of the players beneath that (Downing, Ward, Nyambe, Gladwin and Antonsson for example) are in the side for a lengthy period of time the quality comes tumbling down.

Agree on it being a good window but disagree the last day was shambles.

Mowbray had a plan A, B and C for the centre back slot. Sadly Motherwell.defender went elsewhere, defender B went elsewhere so we signed Downing on loan. Experience league 1 centre back. 

Mowbray had targeted Harper for a well so no surprise we finally got him. 

On Left back we signed, no idea how good he is. Guess we see. 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agree on it being a good window but disagree the last day was shambles.

Mowbray had a plan A, B and C for the centre back slot. Sadly Motherwell.defender went elsewhere, defender B went elsewhere so we signed Downing on loan. Experience league 1 centre back. 

Mowbray had targeted Harper for a well so no surprise we finally got him. 

On Left back we signed, no idea how good he is. Guess we see. 

Who was defender B then?

All you need to know about Chaddy is that when he watches Star Wars he backs the Empire. ?

Pleased wekept hold of our better players, baffled everyone thinks our kids are worldies, think the last day incomings where a bad sign, but the lack of outgoings was good.

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Who was defender B then?

Alex Bruce I heard. Went Wigan

2 hours ago, Baz said:

All you need to know about Chaddy is that when he watches Star Wars he backs the Empire. ?

Pleased wekept hold of our better players, baffled everyone thinks our kids are worldies, think the last day incomings where a bad sign, but the lack of outgoings was good.

Star Wars? Really? Loads of rubbish. 

Leave you to your sci fi stuff

8 hours ago, USABlue said:

Could it not simply be that, in the managers eyes, he's not ready.  Why can it not be  just that simple?

Because for some fans nothing can happen at Ewood these days without it turning in to a conspiracy created by the owners, Suhail or Cheston. 

23 hours ago, Biz said:

That's like landing perfectly on a runway at Manchester and responding "we could always crash next time"...

Consider this. 7 years Venkys bought the airline; removed all safety checks; brought in untrained pilots; had one near miss in the first year; and followed up with two high profile crashes. Used to flights across Europe, they took us from Manchester, Liverpool and Heathrow, to Scunthorpe and Carlisle - with departure lounges little more than a Potracabin with outdoor toilets, losing 10,000 regular passengers on the way. Downgraded from a shiny 747 to a battered 737, when the upgrade to A380 was in the pipeline. Now they having only just started to look like maintaining the aircraft, albeit using inferior materials and with cheaper ground crew, and we don't even know if the patch up job can even fly. We are now totally reliant on an ex 747 pilot, using all of his knowledge and experience of 'normal' aircraft. Another crash is only one mistake away.

Is it any wonder there might be a fear of flying, let alone crashing?

Happy enough with the window based on recent experience and expectation. Think Graham needs to get fit but Antonsson/Nuttall/Dack can do a job if Samuel stays fit and in form. Injury to mulgrew, Evans, smallwood or Samuel would is my biggest worry but on paper we now have backup though how effective they are on the pitch is the key question.

9 hours ago, bazza said:

So....I reckon we now have 29 players in the squad. Here they are:-

Keepers:  Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher

Right backs: Caddis, Nyambe, Travis

Centre backs: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Ward, Downing, Platt, Wharton

Left backs: Williams, Hart, Doyle, 

Centre Midfield: Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Harper, Tomlinson

Right midfield: Bennett, Chapman, Dack 

Left midfield Conway, Gladwin 

Strikers: Samuel, Graham, Antonsson, Nuttall

That is a good number of available players.

If we base the team on Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Smallwood, Chapman,Dack and Samuel, then add players like Bennett, Nuttall, Conway and maybe this Harper chap, I think we have an exciting season ahead. That's not a starting 11 of course. Just players I rate and hope to rate.

And by any calculation amply good enough to make a serious impression on League 1.

My fear is Mowbray quite probably doesn't know his best formation or how to make the most of these resources and my nightmare is he is still fighting his Coventry demons. Hope I am wrong.

By the way, there is every prospect of two three or four youngsters from the youth teams to force their way onto this list during the season as well.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, philipl said:

And by any calculation amply good enough to make a serious impression on League 1.

My fear is Mowbray quite probably doesn't know his best formation or how to make the most of these resources and my nightmare is he is still fighting his Coventry demons. Hope I am wrong.

By the way, there is every prospect of two three or four youngsters from the youth teams to force their way onto this list during the season as well.

7 of them are already in the list:

Fisher, Travis, Doyle, Platt, Wharton, Tomlinson, Nuttall.

I'm interested by both Harper and Hart, and the more I think about it the better I feel about the Downing signing.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alex Bruce I heard. Went Wigan

Heard from a very itk at Wigan that Bruce's uncle boxed that off with his Wigan connections.. So that was never happening so your new hero ( whom remember you wanted no where near Ewood in the not too distant past) got his nephew on loan who could've get in a worse side 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Consider this. 7 years Venkys bought the airline; removed all safety checks; brought in untrained pilots; had one near miss in the first year; and followed up with two high profile crashes. Used to flights across Europe, they took us from Manchester, Liverpool and Heathrow, to Scunthorpe and Carlisle - with departure lounges little more than a Potracabin with outdoor toilets, losing 10,000 regular passengers on the way. Downgraded from a shiny 747 to a battered 737, when the upgrade to A380 was in the pipeline. Now they having only just started to look like maintaining the aircraft, albeit using inferior materials and with cheaper ground crew, and we don't even know if the patch up job can even fly. We are now totally reliant on an ex 747 pilot, using all of his knowledge and experience of 'normal' aircraft. Another crash is only one mistake away.

Is it any wonder there might be a fear of flying, let alone crashing?

All that to make the point "Charlie might still leave in January"? Despite no interest, no obvious player issue and a manager who publicly stated he wanted to keep?

I don't like what they've done but for crying out loud, why do people bother to even carry on supporting, watching and discussing if they just automatically assume the worst is about to happen 24/7? 

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Still the snake is in the garden.

It's eggs are hidden in the soil,

So Cheston goes on holiday

And in comes Owen Coyle!

Doesn't change Paul's point though eh- whilst you mention a recent example, it seems EVERYTHING is viewed with conspiracy tinted glasses.

On the example you mentioned, I thought it was obvious anyway? Same problem from day one: agent gets in owners ears and conflict of interests are born? There's no conspiracy, it's just another example of the way this bunch of shysters have always chosen to run the club, through "consultants".

17 minutes ago, Biz said:

All that to make the point "Charlie might still leave in January"? Despite no interest, no obvious player issue and a manager who publicly stated he wanted to keep?

I don't like what they've done but for crying out loud, why do people bother to even carry on supporting, watching and discussing if they just automatically assume the worst is about to happen 24/7? 

Are you joking? This mb is a haven of support these days, compared to recent years. The 'let's move on' fans have never had it so good.

But let's not forget that we are only treading water. If Venkys don't find a buyer or get us back to the PL, both unlikely, we will be done for. Hating Venkys and supporting Rovers are not mutually exclusive, as you well know.

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

Doesn't change Paul's point though eh- whilst you mention a recent example, it seems EVERYTHING is viewed with conspiracy tinted glasses.

On the example you mentioned, I thought it was obvious anyway? Same problem from day one: agent gets in owners ears and conflict of interests are born? There's no conspiracy, it's just another example of the way this bunch of shysters have always chosen to run the club, through "consultants".

Yes, it was obvious to many on here. The point is that it is a recent example of the agent influence that many thought had gone.

It was a very similar "mistake" to the catastrophic appointment of SK six years later.

I think agents "getting in their ear" is a wildly optimistic interpretation.The involvement appears to be rather more than that.

There remains an unanswered (by the club) question about Suhail Pasha or whatever his name is and his previous employment by a certain agency.

The problem here is the total absence of trust in the motives of those running the club.  

Is lack of trust a reasonable or an unreasonable response?

30 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Are you joking? This mb is a haven of support these days, compared to recent years. The 'let's move on' fans have never had it so good.

But let's not forget that we are only treading water. If Venkys don't find a buyer or get us back to the PL, both unlikely, we will be done for. Hating Venkys and supporting Rovers are not mutually exclusive, as you well know.

Correct stu this MB is getting more pro venkys by the day 

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I'm glad I don't live in this "a vs b" world you are referencing, and is there a way you can post a retort without making another sweeping generalisation of a group of fans? The "lets move on" fans? Are you joking?

Ofcourse hating venkys and supporting rovers isn't mutually exclusive - it's not me who see's things in such black and white terminology, the point remains - to instantly expect Charlie to move on in January, despite what's previously been discussed is just ridiculous, and no strangely worded long winded analogy is going to change that.

Finally, the italic part. What do you want to do about that? What do you want me to do about that? Is accepting this as gospel the key to becoming "one of the boys" Stuart? I'm flabbergasted that discussion cannot be had without re-reference to something we are all FULLY aware of, on its own individual merit.

Who've we got in cup? Doesn't matter, venkys out. Who's that young lad signed a new contract? Doesn't matter, venkys out. Who's that new striker we've signed? Doesn't matter, venkys out. Do you think we will win on Saturday? Doesn't matter, venkys out.

Rinse, Repeat.

46 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yes, it was obvious to many on here. The point is that it is a recent example of the agent influence that many thought had gone.

It was a very similar "mistake" to the catastrophic appointment of SK six years later.

I think agents "getting in their ear" is a wildly optimistic interpretation.The involvement appears to be rather more than that.

There remains an unanswered (by the club) question about Suhail Pasha or whatever his name is and his previous employment by a certain agency.

The problem here is the total absence of trust in the motives of those running the club.  

Is lack of trust a reasonable or an unreasonable response?

Lack of trust in the ownership should be as standard, but that's not an excuse to blame conspiracy on everything and anything possible.

Who did the trust pay to sell the club? Agents. Who advised the club "initially"? Agents. Hence why I said "getting in their ear". What else would you call it? I'm not sure this is the thread for more "shadow ownership" debate to be quite frank.

Archived