BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

Only had a quick scan but what is this 'The last day was a shambles' nonsense?

Is it purely because we didn't sign the CB who went to Sheffield Utd in the end?

If so, their first choice was Lenihan - by all accounts, a superior player. We kept hold of him didn't we and he's a Rovers player ?(as against what we all thought, we did all our best players), so with that in mind, we got one up on them and in addition strengthened our squad. Surely that overall having got rid of a hell of a lot if useless chaff, it is an excellent window in the current  circumstances/surroundings?  Also, what's with the whinging about loan players? Surely, the only thing that matters is promotion.  I'd have thought that the likes of Chapman improves that chance.  As long as we choose the best 11, I don't care who they play for. Last time we were promoted we needed to loan Berg, Mahon and Berkovic to add experience and balance to the side when we were lucky to have some exciting young players on the books. 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem a case of almost wanting us to sell good players, so that we have something substantial to moan about. I'm absolutely amazed that nobody of any value left. Shame that wasn't club policy years ago when the quality of player was better. I just wish that we could now get behind Mowbray and the players now 100% and stop scraping for conspiracies or something to vent at. 

18 minutes ago, briansol said:

Very interesting short documentary on Chris Wilder and Sheff Utd deadline day. Only managed 2 of 5 targeted players. 1 of them being Heneghan

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/903935617121308672

I don't subscribe but Rovers appear to have something similar

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/september/deadline-day-diary/

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I don't subscribe but Rovers appear to have something similar

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/september/deadline-day-diary/

The Sheffield United one is far different than the Rovers one. Rovers one  no agents/conversations mentioned or difficulties, maybe we work differently and players just appear, but lots of footage of training and kids sessions and the signings arriving, unfortunately no sighting of the agency ghost. 

Sheff U one quite interesting, Rovers one a fluff piece :) Wonder if every club has done one

21 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

The Sheffield United one is far different than the Rovers one. Rovers one  no agents/conversations mentioned or difficulties, maybe we work differently and players just appear, but lots of footage of training and kids sessions and the signings arriving, unfortunately no sighting of the agency ghost. 

Sheff U one quite interesting, Rovers one a fluff piece :) Wonder if every club has done one

I won't bother asking you to post the 'unlocked' version then, sounds a bit, well, Rovers;)

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I won't bother asking you to post the 'unlocked' version then, sounds a bit, well, Rovers;)

Seems to be unlocked, did not have to log in to view it.

There is a article with a bit more detail about the goings on in the Sheff Utd video, good read especially regarding the sewer rats

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day

22 hours ago, TBTF said:

Happy to hear your counter argument.   like I said just my opinion

Not sure how I counter argue your opinion.  Seems to me like a lot of similar was said abiut this season after our relegation.  Lot of doom and gloom and all the best players leaving.  They haven't.  I have no idea how next season shapes up if we don't go up and I just don't see how anyone else can either.  Nothing personal mate I just don't get the view, I hope you don't live your non Rovers life with that mind set.

I feared the worst after Brentford, 

on the run up to relegation I believed we'd lose graham (who I still believe is going to be a key player) mulgrew and Evans. Too keep all 3 is remarkable. Then to have spent some money on top of that, we are genuinely stronger then when we were relegated.

Transfer window is 8/10, second best under venkys. Best one when we signed Gestede, cairney (permanent) and Conway. Think it was all one window.

41 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Seems to be unlocked, did not have to log in to view it.

There is a article with a bit more detail about the goings on in the Sheff Utd video, good read especially regarding the sewer rats

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day

Interesting stuff, especially the bit about Wilder asking a player at another club for the lowdown on that CB we missed out on from Motherwell. Good to see Wilder has been to watch him:o

For the first time that day, we hear his phone ring. It won't stop until 11:30 p.m. It's a player Wilder knows at another club. He wants to ask him about a centre-half he's interested in. "Is he mobile," Wilder asks. "Can he get up the pitch?"

Well I am relieved at the end of this window. Much better than I expected..

We didn't lose Mulgrew, Lenihan or Graham. Chapman and Smallwood look good already. A couple of other signings ought to blossom eventually. Others, I just don't know.

I so want Rovers to get promotion.....and I so wish the toxic owners would go.

By the way, I popped into the Napier tonight. A privilege to meet so many good people, who deserve their club to be cherished by its owners.

5 hours ago, briansol said:

Very interesting short documentary on Chris Wilder and Sheff Utd deadline day. Only managed 2 of 5 targeted players. 1 of them being Heneghan

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/903935617121308672

Thanks for sharing briansol.  Great insight into the nonsense that goes on with greedy agents adding their bit at the end. It is a shame that players don't take greater control of what they really want and where they really want to play. 

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Reminiscing you were about the good times with Gestede etc. Which were in fact a prelude to our demise.

? That was a 'prelude'? Our demise started in December 2010, the season he talks about (when there was a glimmer of hope) was 2012/13 wasn't it?

20 minutes ago, Mike E said:

? That was a 'prelude'? Our demise started in December 2010, the season he talks about (when there was a glimmer of hope) was 2012/13 wasn't it?

I remember going into the 14/15 season quite positive, we had just finished the previous season strong with a long unbeaten run. We went into that opening Friday night game against Cardiff with the likes of Baptiste, Hanley, Evans, Cairney, Marshall, Conway, King, Dunn, Rhodes & Gestede all in the squad, a quite meek performance followed with a 1-1 draw, we had an ok first half of the season and were around 7/8th until a horrible December started a downward spiral which was hidden somewhat due to a decent cup run.

Think we finished 9th around 15 points of the top 6, for me that season was our biggest chance for us to get back to the top flight, such a wasted opportunity.

23 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Poor comment

Would you explain this to me please? I have expressed my opinion regarding the views I read. Possibly it conflicts with yours? I have not been aggressive, insulting, attacked anyone, simply expressed my view. 

It seems to me your response is an example of those fans who wish to make the best of what we have being held partly responsible for our predicament. 

I want Venkys gone as much as the next man, I put effort in to this for a long time. Eventually I realised two things; nothing the fans do has an influence, secondly, and far more importantly, I had allowed the Raos and all the surrounding doom and gloom to have a very negative impact on my life. That had to stop, it did and I almost immediately felt better.

It is only football no matter how much we love our club. And I still do, the MK Dons game confirmed this for me as do other, infrequent, decent Saturday afternoons.

19 hours ago, Biz said:

I'm glad I don't live in this "a vs b" world you are referencing, and is there a way you can post a retort without making another sweeping generalisation of a group of fans? The "lets move on" fans? Are you joking?

Ofcourse hating venkys and supporting rovers isn't mutually exclusive - it's not me who see's things in such black and white terminology, the point remains - to instantly expect Charlie to move on in January, despite what's previously been discussed is just ridiculous, and no strangely worded long winded analogy is going to change that.

Finally, the italic part. What do you want to do about that? What do you want me to do about that? Is accepting this as gospel the key to becoming "one of the boys" Stuart? I'm flabbergasted that discussion cannot be had without re-reference to something we are all FULLY aware of, on its own individual merit.

Who've we got in cup? Doesn't matter, venkys out. Who's that young lad signed a new contract? Doesn't matter, venkys out. Who's that new striker we've signed? Doesn't matter, venkys out. Do you think we will win on Saturday? Doesn't matter, venkys out.

Rinse, Repeat.

This is a very good post. Thanks for understanding and summarising how I, and other fans feel, about today's position.

This is not the thread for this discussion but I will make one further remark. The MK Dons game was remarkable for the lack of audible negativity in the crowd. This had a big impact on me and my enjoyment of the game. Towards the end of game I experienced the flutter of pride, a welling of emotion which used to be so common for me. Yes it's League One but it's still Rovers with a decent win, a decent atmosphere and a tinge of hope.

That was a long way from my expectation of my first game of the season. An expectation I based solely on the opinions expressed here. I had anticipated yet another afternoon of awful football and abject misery. 

10 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Thanks for sharing briansol.  Great insight into the nonsense that goes on with greedy agents adding their bit at the end. It is a shame that players don't take greater control of what they really want and where they really want to play. 

Agree with the sentiment but it sometimes feels like it's not about clubs but about the league/division.

Choosing between playing for West Brom or Stoke is probably like working in different departments at a supermarket, with a badges that say:

"Premier League Star"

"Happy to Play" (anywhere)

"Part of the Football Family"

Archived