BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So because it's Mowbray then he must be good?I get our squad Is low on numbers but surely there are experienced players who might be out of favour that we could bring in on loan.I admit Chapman has looked good but its early days.If this lad from West Brom was an outstanding talent then I think teams in the league above us would be taking him.Iv liked what iv seem of our youngsters and If we ain't going to take a chance on them now while we are in league one then I don't see the point of the academy

That doesn't make sense. You are ok with experienced players on loan who will block our kids, but not other kids who are better?

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Phil T said:

You can't really expect us to sign "outstanding talent" in this league, can you? Just to give the latest example, we've missed out on signing a centre-back who none of us have ever heard of, is probably just OK, and is apparently too good for us. That's where we are.

Maybe you need to reevaluate what is realistic for Rovers, here and now.

No I don't expect us to be signing outstanding talent.That Is my point,use the lads from the academy instead of a 17 year old from West Bromwich.Jeez I don't think I could have been clearer.If we are bringing in people on loan then why not sign experience that are out of favour at their clubs.At least you know what your getting rather than a 17 year old kid!

And when I mentioned bringing in experienced players in on loan,I meant people who would improve our starting 11.

11 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

That doesn't make sense. You are ok with experienced players on loan who will block our kids, but not other kids who are better?

My god.You know what your getting with experienced players.I don't see the point of signing a 17 year old who apart from a few minutes has hardly any senior football behind him.If we are using kids then use our own.Why bring this fella in to sit on the bench,would It not be more beneficial for our long term future to have our own youngsters doing that?Have you ever seen this young lad play?Is he good?

I meant experienced players in on loan that could improve our first 11

23 minutes ago, Phil T said:

That's that then. So Heneghan is off the cards.

It is really frustrating to miss out on Henaghan but I'm quite dumbfounded that we have left it until the last knockings to actually bid for him particularly as we've been crying out for a defender of his ilk for weeks now. I really don't understand why so many clubs leave it so late to bring in reinforcements. Surely it becomes more of a seller's market the longer it goes on and the risk of being usurped increases.

And whilst I'm in a whingy mood the PL centric media are annoying me too.

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It is really frustrating to miss out on Henaghan but I'm quite dumbfounded that we have left it until the last knockings to actually bid for him particularly as we've been crying out for a defender of his ilk for weeks now. I really don't understand why so many clubs leave it so late to bring in reinforcements. Surely it becomes more of a seller's market the longer it goes on and the risk of being usurped increases.

And whilst I'm in a whingy mood the PL centric media are annoying me too.

Bang on! Should have sorted this sooner and it’s poor from the management to have left this so long. 

With no defenders this window, we’ll struggle!

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

My god.You know what your getting with experienced players.I don't see the point of signing a 17 year old who apart from a few minutes has hardly any senior football behind him.If we are using kids then use our own.Why bring this fella in to sit on the bench,would It not be more beneficial for our long term future to have our own youngsters doing that?Have you ever seen this young lad play?Is he good?

I meant experienced players in on loan that could improve our first 11

Again, bizarrely you are presuming that all kids are the same. The majority of fans wont know them, but every club in the land knows everything about each other's youth team players. If our kids are good enough, give them a chance, if not, don't just give them a chance because they are our kids?

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No I don't expect us to be signing outstanding talent.That Is my point,use the lads from the academy instead of a 17 year old from West Bromwich.Jeez I don't think I could have been clearer.If we are bringing in people on loan then why not sign experience that are out of favour at their clubs.At least you know what your getting rather than a 17 year old kid!

And when I mentioned bringing in experienced players in on loan,I meant people who would improve our starting 11.

What you are basically saying is, you would never risk bringing in a 17 year old Messi on loan, as we have a youth team?

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I notice Bournemouth and bleeding Boscombe Athletic bid £25m for a player yesterday.

Bournemouth ! 

Numbers on a page, Jim. Moving from one column to the other.

More worrying is the unsustainable state of football that a below average PL team is playing with those types of numbers - for an above average player.

And all in a bid to become, well... average.

Can't be bothered reading back several pages, but we'd be stupid to let Graham go, we've got a kid from Reading who's got no regular scoring record and a kid who's in the u23s. Pure madness. Are people really suggesting that we'd be happy to let thim go?

Are we after promotion or relegation again?

3 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

What you are basically saying is, you would never risk bringing in a 17 year old Messi on loan, as we have a youth team?

No that's not what im saying as I have said in my previous posts if this kid was that good then Championship clubs would be taking him on loan.

41 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No I don't expect us to be signing outstanding talent.That Is my point,use the lads from the academy instead of a 17 year old from West Bromwich.

By all accounts, particularly Pulis', who is far more qualified than any of us to pass comment on Harper, he's got glowing reports. I'd trust his judgement over both mine and yours any day of the week. A "few minutes" of shining against Premier League opposition is all we can beg, borrow, and steal for now, so I won't be as disgruntled as you if we do just that and sign him. He'd be a great acquisition for us.

I don't disagree that we might have a few players who could step up into the first team squad, but Harper is an attacking midfielder. Dack aside, do we have anyone else to fill that position?

1 minute ago, Speedie Dived said:

The point he is making isn't difficult to comprehend.

If we are going to give game to help other teams increase their value then they had better get us promoted.

If our young lads can't get a game - based on what I've seen there are some contenders - they should be loaned out.

Otherwise, what's the point of our academy? It's not developing our own and not making any money because they won't sign new contracts. It's almost as though there is some prestige to having our U23s in PL2.

Different story if there is a ready made player who could join permanently following a loan spell. But we still need to be loaning out our youngsters.

Just now, Phil T said:

By all accounts, particularly Pulis', who is far more qualified than any of us to pass comment on Harper, he's got glowing reports. I'd trust his judgement over both mine and yours any day of the week. A "few minutes" of shining against Premier League opposition is all we can beg, borrow, and steal for now, so I won't be as disgruntled as you if we do just that and sign him. He'd be a great acquisition for us.

I don't disagree that we might have a few players who could step up into the first team squad, but Harper is an attacking midfielder. Dack aside, do we have anyone else to fill that position?

He would be a great acquisition for us?Maybe he will be and il be left with egg on my face.But how you can state that now il never know without seeing him play.Jack Byrne and the lad Samuelson came with glowing reports too

Archived