BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season Expectations

Kamy100

Just now, Biz said:

You hit on the only reason why I'd stop before saying "anything but promotion" will do - you never know what can happen. I've watched great rovers sides play poorly and the reverse of that, if we lost (funnily enough, known to be quite injury prone) a few players like Mulgrew, Evans, Graham, or Lenihan for long periods - or worse still Raya/Smallwood/Chapman/Samuel - it would be obviously much more difficult to expect promotion.

As of now though, I think the squad is good enough, none of us can deny that the facilities/wage bill is enough for this level, it's all down to Tony and the players to do it.

Hopefully, the character returns somewhat, you can already see Smallwood is the type our fans will latch on to because of his tackling, Mulgrew  is a cut above, Samuel looks a signing and many of the others are *above the perceived level of this league. 

If I had to set a defining expectation, it would be promotion on the current scenario, things can change rapidly though as we all know well.

You need a nucleus of players who are really prepared to put themselves about, I'd say 4 or 5 . These can shame the rest into actually pulling their fingers out.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need a nucleus of players who are really prepared to put themselves about, I'd say 4 or 5 . These can shame the rest into actually pulling their fingers out.

Certainly. Mulgrew Evans and Smallwood should be that central leadership giving the example, if we lose 2/3 to long term injury we will need a serious improvement from Ward, Whittingham and the like to be as "expectant".

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Certainly. Mulgrew Evans and Smallwood should be that central leadership giving the example, if we lose 2/3 to long term injury we will need a serious improvement from Ward, Whittingham and the like to be as "expectant".

Mulgrew and Evans don't fall into the category of " players who put themselves about " in my eyes. At the moment we've got Smallwood  and the new striker Samuel. The rest of them are looking around for somebody to show them the way.

No idea what some people are on, the only other team who should win their league more comfortably is Celtic, and even that's debatable. If your that pessimistic thinking the playoffs would be a good effort then you need help and possible sectioning. Ffs.

• Backroom

You have to say not going up should be seen as a failure.

The first two games were disastrous and left us with a tougher task and not being able to make as many mistakes but if we can hang around the top 6 I'd expect us to finish strong, just have to hope 2 other teams don't run away with it!

Its a shame we aren't playing this weekend potentially leaving us 7 points behind 2nd only a month in but I think postponing the game was the right call.

A lot will depend on Mowbray. If we win a couple more and he suddenly thinks we're Barca playing in La Liga again we'll soon come unstuck. If he continues to try and protect the defence we may have a chance, because that defence is dodgy. The good news is, compared to the other two League 1 teams I've seen, we have some very good attacking players in Samuel, Dack and Chapman, and a couple of good midfielders in Smallwood and Evans. Like Mowbray said himself, he needs to find the right balance. He still hasn't because Chapman should be an integral part of it from the bits I've seen of him.

We are far from a great team that will steamroller all before us, but I think we've got a few players that will cause most teams problems.

Based on all that, anywhere between 10th and top, but most likely just getting in the play-offs. Which we'll win on a glorious May day at Wembley :rover:

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Like Mowbray said himself, he needs to find the right balance. He still hasn't because Chapman should be an integral part of it from the bits I've seen of him.

I think you're spot on here. First time I saw Chapman was against the knuckle draggers and after 20 minutes I turned to the lad next to me and said that he looked like a boy in a man's game out on the left. 

2nd half, and in parts he was the best player on the pitch a looked to worry decent premier league defenders but in other positions.

We get some points together early and this lad will flourish at a happy Ewood  (as happy as it can be)

The only thing that will hold us back is Mowbray and his weird formations. If he sticks to 4 at the back like these past 2 games then we'll be ok. If he goes back to his favoured 3 (which he will looking at the players he has signed) then we're looking at mid table.

13 hours ago, Boaty said:

No idea what some people are on, the only other team who should win their league more comfortably is Celtic, and even that's debatable. If your that pessimistic thinking the playoffs would be a good effort then you need help and possible sectioning. Ffs.

There is something happening at Peterborough which might alter your perception.

I think our short comings so far this season have been down to Tony's tactics and a chronic lack of confidence. Ability wise we are more than set for this league.

Just need Tony to get the right mix quickly and keep grinding out results until the confidence rises

I expect automatic promotion, nothing less.

Mowbray can have no excuses.  He's not been forced to sell our 'big hitters' and he's been allowed to bring in 10+ players, presumably all his own choices.

Feels like we MUST get up this season otherwise it could all be over for Rovers.

If having playing 10 matches, we are not looking convincing then Mowbray has to go before it's too late.

Sadly, I think we are going to regret the decision of the imbecile(s) who scuppered Warnock's appointment last summer.

52 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I expect automatic promotion, nothing less.

Mowbray can have no excuses.  He's not been forced to sell our 'big hitters' and he's been allowed to bring in 10+ players, presumably all his own choices.

Feels like we MUST get up this season otherwise it could all be over for Rovers.

If having playing 10 matches, we are not looking convincing then Mowbray has to go before it's too late.

Sadly, I think we are going to regret the decision of the imbecile(s) who scuppered Warnock's appointment last summer.

Mowbray must know he has to take us up otherwise his stock in football will have fallen that low he'll be looking at managing the likes of Stevenage Crawley etc 

Anything other than automatic promotion should be seen as abject failure.

Everyone involved at Ewood (who are let's be honest being payed extortionate amounts of cash) should be made well aware of what we as paying supporters expect of them.I don't want to hear sob stories and hollow excuses for not meeting the absolute minimum required objectives.

The day we start to lower our expectations in this league is the day our club is in big,big trouble.

But I ask this important question....what 'expectations' do our ever silent and absentee owners in Pune have?<_<

Much will depend on injuries to our quality players. If they all stay fit then we should be aiming for promotion. If we lose them then mid table. Despite numbers, I'm not sure we have the strength in depth - even at League One standard. Our best team, told to keep it simple and go and win games, should be in the top 2 of this division.

We should not be dependent on just one player, however, Mulgrew is absolutely critical to our success - perhaps in a way even Shearer wasn't (we had many more very good players in our team then).

I am staggered he's still at the club and it can only be his indifferent injury record that has prevented other teams coming in for him.

At the moment, he seems to be steering well clear of injuries and is even coming through international matches in addition.  Long may it continue.  If he plays 90% of our games, we should be automatically promoted.

On 01/09/2017 at 09:43, Kamy100 said:

Now that the transfer window has closed.  What are your expectations for the season?

For me not going up would be considered a failure given the squad we have.  We should challenge for automatic promotion but if we end up going up via the play offs that would be fine.  Anything less than that then there will be serious questions to be asked of Tony Mowbray.

I agree with the analysis but if we now go on a run and players hit form I do worry that our esteemed owners won't be able to help themselves and cash in on them in the Christmas transfer window and that will change the complete characteristics. In short I just don't trust them.

Winning has to be the aim, 

there is is not one match we should go in not believing we can take 3 points. That has to be the mentality.

The squad should be good enough to finish mid championship under the right stewardship, player v player we are not to far from the Ipswich's and Cardiff's. Granted it's a sign of how far we've fallen that I'm even comparing.

Absolutely nothing to suggest we will ever see any success under the rats from Pune and after awful defeats to both Southend and Donny Rovers things don't bode well.

Its strange how a couple of wins can change the entire mood of the messageboard, but I think I'll stick with my closed season prediction, we'll not go up and if thats the case I'd rather we didn't make the play offs either.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Archived