SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Malta v England

philipl

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's a genuinely shocking England team. We've been pretty average before in my time watching England, but never so weak in so many positions at the same time.

When you look at the talent France are bringing through it makes you weep. Why can't we get it right?

Shyte Coaching directed by the FA. Shyte academy system that sanitises the game

Shyte second rate manager/yes man/company gimp.....talks rubbish and hasn't a clue. Surrounding himself with his previous players who aren't necessarily good enough.  Never a good club manager

59 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

When you look at the talent France are bringing through it makes you weep. Why can't we get it right?

Because nobody cares.

"Transfer deadline day"!!! That's what matters now. Hype, money, blather and bull. "Never mind the football, let's talk @#/? (with Jim White)". The sad thing is, nothing will change. The FA are happy. Sky are happy. The big clubs are happy - and that's what really matters. And the money just keeps getting bigger and more ridiculous. "The Ox" went to Liverpool, £35m or was it £40m? Either way, is he getting a start next Saturday? That's where the national game is.

Still, I didn't see it live, but we won 4 nil. Hurrah!!

We constantly do well at youth levels. Despite the fascination with the German model or the Spanish model, our setup and coaching systems are fine.

The problem is the top premier league sides stock piling youngsters and not playing them in the 1st teams. We need to impose limits on foreign players, but the premier league is to powerful now and has zero interest in the national team

Exactly that. Chelsea, year on year, have something like 40-50 players out on loan! 

Drinkwater, will he get a game now? 

As you said, the England team was sold down the river along time ago unfortunately. No ones really bothered though - we get to watch the best league in the world in this country apparently.

6 hours ago, bob fleming said:

Because nobody cares.

"Transfer deadline day"!!! That's what matters now. Hype, money, blather and bull. "Never mind the football, let's talk @#/? (with Jim White)". The sad thing is, nothing will change. The FA are happy. Sky are happy. The big clubs are happy - and that's what really matters. And the money just keeps getting bigger and more ridiculous. "The Ox" went to Liverpool, £35m or was it £40m? Either way, is he getting a start next Saturday? That's where the national game is.

Still, I didn't see it live, but we won 4 nil. Hurrah!!

The FA are the distinct poor relations to the PL Bob and this is the only country in the world where a league has more power than the national association. And your assertion about money is spot on. There is very little investment in grass roots football which has had very little investment over the last few decades. There have been quite a lot of redundancies at the FA which have gone under the radar as they are still suffering from a massive overspend on Wembley and St Georges Park. The FA is stuck in a time warp though and is still run today as it was decades ago. The committee's (full of men in blazers) which cover most aspects are archaic and invariably run by people who are on selfish power trips. For exhibit A I give you Coar. There is no dynamism or foresight as they bumble along and the game in this country stagnates.

I well remember a chap called Bill Fox appearing on television late 80s / early 90s. Mr Fox was the then Chairman of the Football League. He was ripped to pieces as he continued to state that there were 92 clubs in the football league and that  it was the Leagues job to represent the best interests of those 92 clubs. It was awful TV and I felt really sorry for the guy.

The Premier League will of course act in its members best interests as well - and they'll ensure that the status quo is preserved forever. The gap between the haves and have nots has never been wider. Even if you are relegated the parachute payments should ensure you bounce straight back up. The only reason why you wouldn't is if you have an Agent involved with the club and / or the club is owned by people who forget they own it.

The national team? It's an irritant. It "gets in the way". It's common place for international fixtures to be derided all across the media. There is no value placed upon them anymore. Most fans, I feel / IMO, could do without it as well. If the people who ran the game cared about the National Team then they'd introduce a rule that 4-5 players in the starting line up must be English. That way Livermore might get a game. However, this will devalue "the product" apparently just as Premier League Team X buys player Y, who no one has ever heard of, from Portugal for £28m.

By the way, serious question, who is that Livermore picked for England (I won't use the term "played")?

Malta's overseas player last night plays for Ebbsfleet.

That was the level of player which reasonably comfortably held England to 0-0 for over an hour and only let three in during the last six minutes when at least four Maltese players were cramping but didn't have the guile to go down unless they literally collapsed.

Hogg the Maltese keeper is a fine goalie but like the rest of the Maltese team, is at least three inches short of the height needed to compete as the Bertrand strike illustrated.

7 hours ago, bob fleming said:

Because nobody cares.

A prime example is Wayne Rooney, the best English player in the game today. He's retired from international football at the grand old age of 31. Instead of being out there, he's chosen to stay at home and do this.

The money in the top tier from 20-30 years ago saw football players live a privileged life, but when you're on £300k a week, I wonder what that does to your head... Even if you supposedly love what you do.

Anyway, we won, so that's all that matters today.

I agree with all of the reasons stated for why England aren't up to it at international football. Unfortunately for me I always think that we are about to turn the corner.

The Premier League has too much power, and its success runs contradictory to the success of the national team. Young players are also at fault. They are built up far too early, get their big move before they are the finished article, and then drift into obscurity as they can't usurp the ready made marketable foreign international already there.*

All competition winners have a genuine world class star. Maradona, the original Ronaldo, and Zidane to name a few lifted their teams up to be great. England haven't had one for donkeys years - Shearer could have been but injuries curtailed his international career. The same with Michael Owen. Ashley Cole was world class but he was a full back. Scholes (although misused more than once), Gerrard, and Lampard were good but not great. Who exists now? Kane? Alli? Hardly.

Then there's the issue of pressure. Time and again England players mentally collapse. Putting on an England kit causes psychological issues. They rapidly lose their ability to play. Regular penalty defeats and the 2nd half against Iceland are prime example of it. The players mentally lose it.

*Interestingly Jadon Sancho, 17 year old star and England youth player, left Man City on deadline day for Borussia Dortmund. He will be treated well there. Hopefully it helps his development and will benefit England. 

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I agree with all of the reasons stated for why England aren't up to it at international football. Unfortunately for me I always think that we are about to turn the corner.

The Premier League has too much power, and its success runs contradictory to the success of the national team. Young players are also at fault. They are built up far too early, get their big move before they are the finished article, and then drift into obscurity as they can't usurp the ready made marketable foreign international already there.*

All competition winners have a genuine world class star. Maradona, the original Ronaldo, and Zidane to name a few lifted their teams up to be great. England haven't had one for donkeys years - Shearer could have been but injuries curtailed his international career. The same with Michael Owen. Ashley Cole was world class but he was a full back. Scholes (although misused more than once), Gerrard, and Lampard were good but not great. Who exists now? Kane? Alli? Hardly.

Then there's the issue of pressure. Time and again England players mentally collapse. Putting on an England kit causes psychological issues. They rapidly lose their ability to play. Regular penalty defeats and the 2nd half against Iceland are prime example of it. The players mentally lose it.

*Interestingly Jadon Sancho, 17 year old star and England youth player, left Man City on deadline day for Borussia Dortmund. He will be treated well there. Hopefully it helps his development and will benefit England. 

Disagree greatly on scholes. Outstanding player. One of the best of his generation. Criminally misused by sven

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Makes me sick seeing young english talent playing for countries just because they have a grandfather from there (woodburn). Hope wales dont qualify

Woodburn would be nowhere near the England squad....he's nowhere near the Liverpool squad after the last few days. Moot point. Is there another example?

Delighted to see Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic all still in contention for the play-offs.

Always very happy to see English talent which would get nowhere near the England squad getting the opportunity of playing international football- even if it is Ebbsfleet/Malta...

Archived