SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Malta v England

philipl

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mulgrew starting for Scotland tonight.

A bit concerned because the Maltese tackling was "firm" against England and as semi-pros not always well timed.

Glad Scotland have Phillips playing- if they use him in the way England failed to use Oxlaide-Chamberlain, his pace on the touchline will stretch Malta and hopefully mean Mulgrew gets less attention.

No doubt England 0 Slovakia 0 (or 1) will break Scottish hearts....

What was that list of free transfers again.

Mulgrew getting an injury while Lenihan was out was such a high risk that I'm amazed Mowbray didn't have somebody lined up. Just shows how desperate we were to get Downing.

The wheels fell off towards the end of last season when they were both out, looks like it could be happening again.

Time for a youngster like Platt to step up.

• Moderation Lead

Yeah, Butland needs to replace Hart, but don't agree at all re Walker. Think he has to start.

We are glaringly short of a midfielder with guile and craft. Two holding midfielders in Dier and Henderson at home is painful.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yeah, Butland needs to replace Hart, but don't agree at all re Walker. Think he has to start.

We are glaringly short of a midfielder with guile and craft. Two holding midfielders in Dier and Henderson at home is painful.

Wilshere would be ideal person for this role but never fit

Henderson second half got forward more in second half but im not a fan of him

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Always look vulnerable, even a manager like Dyche could get us organised and then Kane, Rashford and Alli can hurt teams at the world cup.

Second half we were comfortable after going 2-1 up whilst never being 100% sure there..

No faith in Walker or Hart there. 

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wilshere would be ideal person for this role but never fit

Henderson second half got forward more in second half but im not a fan of him

Wilshere is one of the most over-rated players of recent years. He's lucky to be playing for Bournemouth and doesn't deserve to be anyway near the England squad

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

We will do nothing under Southgate, the proven managerial failure.

Apart from a brief glimmer of hope in 1990 and 1996 we've done nothing since 1966, so I don't see why Southgate should be made a scapegoat

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We will do nothing under Southgate, the proven managerial failure.

We done nothing for years anyway since 96. We tried overseas and English managers since Euro 96 and done no better. 

We had Hoddle, Keegan, Sven, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson, Allardyce. All different types of managers. 

We spent over 40 millions pounds on Sven and Capello and for what. Sod all. 

I think Southgate should be given time and let him get on with the job. 

And its time people stop thinking we are the best world cos we arent anymore. Not in the top 8 in the world. Time some people have some realism and drop this arrogant attitide

A lot of teams have problems, Germany looks good again for the next World Cup, Brazil now, is playing very well; Argentina is up there. These are established winners "more or less" for the last two (in recent history that is, we know the Samba Boys have won a ton of past world cups).

But the other teams outside of these is not so easy to say whom is elite. Spain got an impressive win this weekend. Chile and Colombia have very good teams but I don't think anyone wants to say they are top tier.

And after that, England is pretty well in the mix. Belgium is good but can't really be counted on to perform when it counts. We saw how France did.  Just my view. 

And Luxembourg and Malta previously, have definitely put out some competitive performances against major powers.

Apart from expecting Rashford not to lose the ball in a dangerous area I don't know what Walker did wrong ?  I don't think right back is a major problem.

I'm not mad about Joe Hart or the centre halves. We always look vulnerable. We're crying out for a playmaker in midfield. Henderson is bang average even at Premier League level. Oxlade Chamberlain runs around a lot but there's no end product. Our decision making in the last third lets us down every time.

Archived