SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Malta v England

philipl

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We done nothing for years anyway since 96. We tried overseas and English managers since Euro 96 and done no better. 

We had Hoddle, Keegan, Sven, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson, Allardyce. All different types of managers. 

We spent over 40 millions pounds on Sven and Capello and for what. Sod all. 

I think Southgate should be given time and let him get on with the job. 

And its time people stop thinking we are the best world cos we arent anymore. Not in the top 8 in the world. Time some people have some realism and drop this arrogant attitide

Nothing to do with an arrogant attitude. I am well aware that there are teams that are better than us.

Southgate has done nothing as a manager, hes in the job through brown nosing like Kean did, what has he done in his career to make you want him as England manager.

A good manager could organise us,then allow Alli, Kane and Rashford to hurt teams. 

The English public has no faith in Southgate and understandably so.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not since 2006 world cup did I think we have a chance of winning a world cup. Before that 98 and 96.

Since 1966, we have played well in 3 tournaments - 1970, when the team unforgivably lost to West Germany, Italia 1990, when Bobby Robson's team unluckily lost to the Germans, and 1996, when we should have won Euro 96 but Germany won again.

In no other tournament have I ever thought England had a chance of winning.

In fact, we have not even managed to reach a final since 1966 - that's more than 50 years of abject failure and disappointment. 

For a supposed leading football nation it's a pathetic record. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

A good manager could organise us,then allow Alli, Kane and Rashford to hurt teams. 

Name one. We've thrown money at the problem, hired the best foreign coaches, employed useless home-grown ones. Nothing's worked, which suggests the system is rotten to the core. 

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I suspect Pochettino does, given he's just spent £22 Million quid on one!

He's been there one season, so that's a bit of a silly example Chaddy. Rome wasn't built in a day. We both know that transfer fees have gone ape the last year or so and there's a price for City and a price for everyone else as they're loaded.

Spend over 400 million pounds so far. Need to win the league and champions league this season

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

How much has he spent at City?

Over 400 million pounds

Nothing to do with an arrogant attitude. I am well aware that there are teams that are better than us.

Southgate has done nothing as a manager, hes in the job through brown nosing like Kean did, what has he done in his career to make you want him as England manager.

The English public has no faith in Southgate and understandably so.

Didnt I answer this Southgate question when he got the job? He did a good job with under 21 and won a tournament as boss. 

We have loads of different manager since 98 and gone nowhere. What did Sven and Capello ever Achieve? Nothing apart from loads of money for themselves..

The public is fed up with international football full stop

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Name one. We've thrown money at the problem, hired the best foreign coaches, employed useless home-grown ones. Nothing's worked, which suggests the system is rotten to the core. 

Sven and Capello cost us over 40 million pounds and were never committed to the job

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt I answer this Southgate question when he got the job? He did a good job with under 21 and won a tournament as boss. 

We have loads of different manager since 98 and gone nowhere. What did Sven and Capello ever Achieve? Nothing apart from loads of money for themselves..

Did he? "Under Southgate England qualified for the finals of the European Under-21 Championship in 2015, where they were knocked out in the group stages, finishing last in their group."

It may well be to an extent, but why do we still get over 65k fans going? England fans will always care, but no one has faith in the manager.

Does that mean you are saying no one cares so does it matter even if the managers a failure?

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sven and Capello cost us over 40 million pounds and were never committed to the job

To be fair, Eriksson did well to revive England's results after the Keegan debacle and got England into the WC quarter-finals. Capello was vastly overpaid, proof that throwing money at a problem doesn't work. I don't know what you mean by "committed to the job".   

He should have been our Zidane. The team should have revolved around him for as long as he could play. Criminal waste of one of our 2 true world class talents of recent times (Shearer being the other).

Regardless of nationality, the England managers since Bobby Robson have been plagued by the curse of the English media and sponsors. Too frightened to leave certain players out (Lampard / Gerrard) to the detriment of the team, ie. Scholes on the left. Too eager to try and play the way other more successful teams have played that year - play like the Spanish, Play like the Germans, etc. Why not play like teams do every Saturday in the English leagues? Get in the opposition's face, quick, direct, down the wings and get it in the box. Play like England. Too many people are too obsessed with fancy Football Manager formations and tactics rather than keeping it simple and playing with the hand we've got. Shame Big Sam liked his brown envelopes as much as he did, he would've wee'd with the willy we've got and would probably have done pretty well.

13 minutes ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

. Shame Big Sam liked his brown envelopes as much as he did, he would've wee'd with the willy we've got and would probably have done pretty well.

Yep, great shame. He'd have built an England team in his and the country's image. It might have done very well. 

Did he? "Under Southgate England qualified for the finals of the European Under-21 Championship in 2015, where they were knocked out in the group stages, finishing last in their group."

It may well be to an extent, but why do we still get over 65k fans going? England fans will always care, but no one has faith in the manager.

Does that mean you are saying no one cares so does it matter even if the managers a failure?

Southgate won this tournament in 2016

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Toulon_Tournament_squads

Have you spoken to all England fans about Southgate? You must alot of time on your hands?

Who would you have instead then?

49 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

To be fair, Eriksson did well to revive England's results after the Keegan debacle and got England into the WC quarter-finals. Capello was vastly overpaid, proof that throwing money at a problem doesn't work. I don't know what you mean by "committed to the job".   

Sven meeting clubs about taking over there like Chelsea. 

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep, great shame. He'd have built an England team in his and the country's image. It might have done very well. 

It really was (cue Gav retort).

He was perfect for England. What he did was iffy but not worth firing over.

Eriksson had a decent side to work with but persisted with both Gerrard and Lampard. He should have dropped one of them - Lampard for me. I think that Rooney's injury in the 04 Euro's and his daft sending off in 06 cost England a semi final place at both tournaments.

Capello was a club manager. He was too much of a disciplinarian for international football. Those managers don't need to be task masters, they need to make players comfortable, and have them ready to play. The national team should be a welcoming environment, a break from the rigours of club football. Not worse.

England never struggled to qualify for tournaments under Capello - unlike most managers. But he was only here for the money - more than £6m a year I think - so he was able to spend more on his beloved art collection 

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Some good points related to yesterday.

Walker did nothing wrong. Rashford took too long on the ball, tried a trick, failed, then didn't track the runner. If Rashford's touch was better Walker was off on the counter attack. Walker's "he's not good defensively" slight has been around since he signed for Spurs. It's lazy as he is much improved. He was our best performer at the Euro's last year (faint praise though).

I also agree with Jim and K-Hod on the selfishness. Ox's 80 yard run then awful shot. Kane's constant shooting when he's no chance of scoring, and Alli's 10 shots all way over the bar showed immaturity.

Joe Hart needs to go. He's calamity in action. It's just a matter of time before his next mistake.

England look good for qualification. 2 games to go and 1 point needed. Scotland play Slovakia at home next time out. I hope Scotland win as I'd like to see them in he playoffs.

That's his career in a nutshell.

9 hours ago, frosty said:

I don't think anyone has thought that since the 'golden generation' of about 10 years ago. Not qualifying for Euro 2008 seemed to change things as expectations, with the possible exception of World Cup 2010, have been low ever since. And the team have duly obliged with three truly dire tournament 'performances' (2010, 2014, 2016) since then, and one that was possibly acceptable on the face of it but still pretty uninspiring (2012). 

Exactly. I have no expectations of england anymore since that dismal performance against iceland. The last time we had a truly great set off players was between '04 and '06

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

who knows who will be Spurs no1 right back this season

On Pep, very easy to be successful when you have managed 2 out of 4 biggest clubs in the world in Bayern and Barcelona.

Won nothing at City despited spending how much at City? over 400 million pounds on new players. Let me just say that again over 400 million pounds on transfers since he joined City. and since becoming a manager he has spend nearly 1 billion pounds on transfers. No wonder he is successful.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4101966/manchester-city-pep-guardiola-spend-1billion-barcelona-bayern-munich/

Dont talk @#/?. Hes had just one season at man city where he inherited an overthehill defence. This will be the season to judge him. At barce he oversaw the likes of iniesta. Xavi. Messi. Busquets. He spent money wisely. He won trophy after trophy thers in 4 years. While he underachieved at bayern european wise he won domestic trophies. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Spend over 400 million pounds so far. Need to win the league and champions league this season

Over 400 million pounds

Are they? We have the best international attendances in the world for world cup qualifying...your next point i can blow out of the water is??

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The English public is fed up and disillusioned over the continuing failures of the England football team, going back decades. I think it's now got to the stage where they are cynical and couldn't care less if England win or not.

We used to really look forward to the World Cup and European finals but the boring and never-ending Champions League has made everyone fed up with football. 

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The English public is fed up and disillusioned over the continuing failures of the England football team, going back decades. I think it's now got to the stage where they are cynical and couldn't care less if England win or not.

We used to really look forward to the World Cup and European finals but the boring and never-ending Champions League has made everyone fed up with football. 

I think international football has been devalued simply by the number of teams now (including the likes of San Marino, Gibraltar etc) which in turn creates too many games. Caps are given out like confetti to average players, some of whom don't even play for their club first team. I would confidently say that interest in England is at an all time low.

One of the things I really used to look forward to were the Home Internationals which were always played at the end of the season and nobody mentioned fatigue or players playing too many games. They generated revenue for the four nations and were taken seriously.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think international football has been devalued simply by the number of teams now (including the likes of San Marino, Gibraltar etc) which in turn creates too many games. Caps are given out like confetti to average players, some of whom don't even play for their club first team. I would confidently say that interest in England is at an all time low.

One of the things I really used to look forward to were the Home Internationals which were always played at the end of the season and nobody mentioned fatigue or players playing too many games. They generated revenue for the four nations and were taken seriously.

Home internationals were competitive and had some meaning, certainly better than playing Moldova or Kazahkstan. And they (and football) were all over by the middle of May. Now the dratted Champions League goes on to June. 

11 hours ago, roverandout said:

Are they? We have the best international attendances in the world for world cup qualifying...your next point i can blow out of the water is??

There were a lot of empty seats at Wembley v Slovakia. The stadium was about 25% short of its full capacity. 67,823 attended.

England at home in the Capital and in the WC and doing 'well' yet the attendance was appalling.

Spurs do better. Spurs even got 67,862 on v Dingles FFS.

I spent the international break hoping that Mulgrew (!) and Evans came back uninjured.

I do enjoy the actual tournaments, but to have the qualifiers dragging on for two years, usually without much incident does nothing for the international game.

Why not group a load of qualifiers together in May and stop the palava of September and October games breaking the season up before it gets going,  then having a ridiculous timed qualifer in late March, often buggeirng up the Easter programme and run in.

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

There were a lot of empty seats at Wembley v Slovakia. The stadium was about 25% short of its full capacity. 67,823 attended.

England at home in the Capital and in the WC and doing 'well' yet the attendance was appalling.

Spurs do better. Spurs even got 67,862 on v Dingles FFS.

Still one of the highest in europe

Archived