BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lenihan has broken foot

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scan machine was being used daily on Feeney to see if there was a footballer anywhere inside him. Once it was confirmed there wasnt and he was shipped out, Lenihan was next up

Jokes aside....WTF. How does this happen :(

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

The scan machine was being used daily on Feeney to see if there was a footballer anywhere inside him. Once it was confirmed there wasnt and he was shipped out, Lenihan was next up

Jokes aside....WTF. How does this happen :(

Do you really expect any different from something run by Venky's?????

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry but this is wrong, we signed experience centre back who knows the league inside out. That is what a lot of people on here wanted all summer, now we signed one some posters aren't happy still. I really do give up with it all at times. so bloody frustrated it is.

Completely wrong. Again. It worries me how often you are wrong. It makes me question whether you read and absorb what people write on here or simply take from it what you want.

People wanted a centre back to improve the defence. Not to fit in at 4th/5th choice. We have players for that. Him being a forever mid-table league 1 centre back, with nothing but negative reviews, doesn't exactly put him in good stead with the support.

The fact remains that we were terrible in our recruitment process for a centre back and ultimately ended up with a forever-nobody that isn't wanted by a club we just beat 4-1. What in his résumé gives you the impression he's a good signing?

5 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Can't foot fractures be really difficult to diagnose as they often don't show up on an x-ray? Maybe the swelling didn't go down so they have done a more comprehensive scan and have found the fracture. We should still be ok for centre backs with Mulgrew, Ward, Downing, Williams, Wharton and Platt, so I'm not too worried yet.

Don't start trying to bring sense and logic into this for goodness sake.  It's clearly a cover up and a con.  It's simply the only possible explanation why he wasn't sold.

39 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Completely wrong. Again. It worries me how often you are wrong. It makes me question whether you read and absorb what people write on here or simply take from it what you want.

People wanted a centre back to improve the defence. Not to fit in at 4th/5th choice. We have players for that. Him being a forever mid-table league 1 centre back, with nothing but negative reviews, doesn't exactly put him in good stead with the support.

The fact remains that we were terrible in our recruitment process for a centre back and ultimately ended up with a forever-nobody that isn't wanted by a club we just beat 4-1. What in his résumé gives you the impression he's a good signing?

The fact that in 15-16 he played every game when Walsall finished third in the table suggests that he is a player capable of performing for a team challenging at the top end of the table.  Clearly he has the ability at this level and now it's up to him to show that short of form again this season.  I suspect the majority of supporters are more than happy to give him a chance to prove himself.

29 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The fact that in 15-16 he played every game when Walsall finished third in the table suggests that he is a player capable of performing for a team challenging at the top end of the table.  Clearly he has the ability at this level and now it's up to him to show that short of form again this season.  I suspect the majority of supporters are more than happy to give him a chance to prove himself.

Look, don't get me wrong that I will "give him a chance", as I will with every player. However there's nothing from his history, nor from the opinions of those that have seen him play regularly for years, to suggest he's a good player that will improve our back 4/5.

Elliot Ward once played the full season for Norwich in their back-to-back promotion to the Premier League; Derrick Williams played every game in Bristol City's promotion in 2015. The fans, on a majority consensus, called for a replacement for these players to fit in alongside Mulgrew. Instead we got given a player that ALMOST secured a promotion from League 1 with a side that eventually got rid of him to join a team that finished mid-table. They then got rid of him the next year to us.

You can dress it up as you want. The signing is a poor signing on the face of it. He may prove me wrong and become our player of the year and be hailed the next Ryan Nelsen but, at this point in time, you can't possibly try and dress this signing up as an "improvement" or something to be excited about.

As a note it's also alarming to hear Walsall fans talk so poorly of him despite him nearly securing promotion for them with a team that included an on fire Tom Bradshaw.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Look, don't get me wrong that I will "give him a chance", as I will with every player. However there's nothing from his history, nor from the opinions of those that have seen him play regularly for years, to suggest he's a good player that will improve our back 4/5.

Elliot Ward once played the full season for Norwich in their back-to-back promotion to the Premier League; Derrick Williams played every game in Bristol City's promotion in 2015. The fans, on a majority consensus, called for a replacement for these players to fit in alongside Mulgrew. Instead we got given a player that ALMOST secured a promotion from League 1 with a side that eventually got rid of him to join a team that finished mid-table. They then got rid of him the next year to us.

You can dress it up as you want. The signing is a poor signing on the face of it. He may prove me wrong and become our player of the year and be hailed the next Ryan Nelsen but, at this point in time, you can't possibly try and dress this signing up as an "improvement" or something to be excited about.

Maybe reserve judgement until watching him play? You really can't get a good idea of a players ability by taking 10 seconds to look at their Wiki page. 

33 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Why hasn't he ever played championship level is he not capable ?

Is he better than Scot Wharton or Matty Platt ?

MK Dons have recently changed their manager and he obviously has his own idea's. Did you see the size of their back four? Not unusual for a new manager to make sweeping changes.

Our manager wanted competition for all positions, this is exactly what he will provide at CB.

4 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

Our manager wanted competition for all positions, this is exactly what he will provide at CB.

If everyone is fit and firing ready for action then we appear to have 'competition' in that there is a League One experienced CB on the books ready to step in if necessary.

At the moment, 4 games into the season, we are hoping and praying that Mulgrew and Ward stay fit. If either of them get even a slight niggle, which unfortunately history suggests is inevitable, then we're leaping into the unknown by putting Downing into the starting line up. Lenihan is out until January, and will probably be sold once he returns to fitness, and Scott Wharton (still very inexperienced himself lets remember) is also out injured.

So from where I'm sitting we have a competent back 4 if/when Mulgrew, Ward, Lenihan, Downing and Wharton are fully fit and available. A couple of injuries, as we have already, and that doesn't look to me like having competition or options, but down to the bare bones in a critically important position.

I suspect Mowbray's plan B is to deploy his 3 CB routine with Williams and Nyambe stepping in rather than risk Wharton or Platt with first team action.

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe reserve judgement until watching him play? You really can't get a good idea of a players ability by taking 10 seconds to look at their Wiki page. 

You are obsessed with this Wiki accusation. What page is suitable for you to get stats on how many games a player has played in what year? Wikipedia is as good as any for them basic figures.

You can't judge a players ability by stats alone but what you can do is trust the opinions of those that have seen him, especially if they are as universally poor as those on him. This is the third time I've explained this to you now. 

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are obsessed with this Wiki accusation. What page is suitable for you to get stats on how many games a player has played in what year? Wikipedia is as good as any for them basic figures.

You can't judge a players ability by stats alone but what you can do is trust the opinions of those that have seen him, especially if they are as universally poor as those on him. This is the third time I've explained this to you now. 

Or you could just not run players into the ground until you have actually seen them play. 

You use stats to form your arguments that this player or that player is useless. At the same time you ignore the stats that may suggest that they are actually decent. 

I just don't get how you can discuss players you have never seen play in post after post. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or you could just not run players into the ground until you have actually seen them play. 

You use stats to form your arguments that this player or that player is useless. At the same time you ignore the stats that may suggest that they are actually decent. 

I just don't get how you can discuss players you have never seen play in post after post. 

I've never said he was useless. Point out to me where I have said that.

"However there's nothing from his history, nor from the opinions of those that have seen him play regularly for years, to suggest he's a good player that will improve our back 4/5."

"You can dress it up as you want. The signing is a poor signing on the face of it. He may prove me wrong and become our player of the year and be hailed the next Ryan Nelsen but, at this point in time, you can't possibly try and dress this signing up as an "improvement" or something to be excited about."

Two quotes from me on Downing from this topic. Where have I claimed he's useless? I'm simply dispelling the idea that he can be conceived, at this point in time, as a "good" signing. If anything I am doing exactly what you are saying and not judging a player before seeing him play. The same people saying he's a good signing are the same people saying he was our 2nd choice, or 3rd choice as Chaddy said in another topic. What suggests to you that a 3rd choice signing is a good signing prior to him having stepped foot on the pitch? 

31 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've never said he was useless. Point out to me where I have said that.

"However there's nothing from his history, nor from the opinions of those that have seen him play regularly for years, to suggest he's a good player that will improve our back 4/5."

"You can dress it up as you want. The signing is a poor signing on the face of it. He may prove me wrong and become our player of the year and be hailed the next Ryan Nelsen but, at this point in time, you can't possibly try and dress this signing up as an "improvement" or something to be excited about."

Two quotes from me on Downing from this topic. Where have I claimed he's useless? I'm simply dispelling the idea that he can be conceived, at this point in time, as a "good" signing. If anything I am doing exactly what you are saying and not judging a player before seeing him play. The same people saying he's a good signing are the same people saying he was our 2nd choice, or 3rd choice as Chaddy said in another topic. What suggests to you that a 3rd choice signing is a good signing prior to him having stepped foot on the pitch? 

See above, highlighted.

He started for MK Dons last season :) So why do people on here keep saying that he is 3rd choice? Because he was on the bench for one game against us? 

It has been pointed out that he had some good seasons at Walsall too, one in particular where they finished 3rd. Yet you ,and others, keep referring to him being a "reserve" or "3rd choice" for MK Dons as a reason why he isn't a good signing at this level. 

Do you not see how narrow the data point you are using is? 

19 hours ago, islander200 said:

In fairness chaddyrovers when people suggested an experienced league 1 defender they expected a bit better than a guy who can't even make the starting 11 for a team who should be finishing below us this season.Will get my support like anyone who pulls on the blue and white halves but you can't expect fans to be overly happy with us bringing in a mk dons reserve

all depends on the budget we had and who was available at the time. Mowbray had hennegan in before Sheff Utd got him.

I wouldn't say it was panic signing but who is down on a shortlist but was available

19 hours ago, islander200 said:

But you judge players before you see them play too.Everyone is a great signing according to you once they sign for Rovers wether you have seen them or not.It's like last season you said Mahoney was a great prospect and that you thought he would sign a new deal as Mowbray was manager when it was announced he wouldn'tbe signing a new deal you said you weren't bothered because Mahoney wasn't that good anyway 

didn't know Chapman, Samuel, Antonsson, Smallwood when they signed but I look at their record and watch them games before games. then judge them from then.

Mahoney is great prospect but he sadly decide to go to Bournemouth and play for them in under 23's instead of playing regular football here but that was his choice and if it was the wrong choice then its his fault. when he left I thought sod him cos he make a very poor career choice imo

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

As much as I'll judge him on here, and when hes playing for us obviously support him, as will everyone else, surely its a bit of a worry that a centre back that was 4th choice at MK Dons, and a player who seemingly played poorly all last season, leading to their supporters being delighted that hes left, is potentially going to replace one of our key players for half a season in which we are expecting automatic promotion?

No I'm not worry as I trust Mowbray. yes he will make poor signings but from what I'm seen he has several good signings IMO.

I aint bothered about MK Dons and their fans

14 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

this was posted by the player himself, can't see it being a cover-up by the medical staff.

possibly a new injury cum setback while on the recovery track

wasn't Lenihan back in training so it not possible that this current injury is one that happened recently(the last week in training)

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

A blow for Darragh but a chance for the likes of Platt and Wharton to get involved at senior level which, in fairness, is why we have spent money on developing them through the Academy and Under-23 teams.  Mulgrew, Ward and Downing have enough experience between them to fill the two centre-back positions more than adequately with Williams, Wharton and Platt being the backups.

Do you rate Platt highly and is he better than Wharton In your opinion?

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Where did I say he was a good signing? I didn't, what I said he is experience League 1 centre half who knows the league inside out. Walsall did well with him in the team including finishing 3rd in the league in 2015/16 season. I don't know the player but willing to give him a proper chance to watch him play and wont judge him after 1 games but a period of games

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mahoney is great prospect but he sadly decide to go to Bournemouth and play for them in under 23's instead of playing regular football here but that was his choice and if it was the wrong choice then its his fault. when he left I thought sod him cos he make a very poor career choice imo

Can any of us really blame Mahoney for leaving.Firstly we took an absolute age to offer him a new contract.Secondly would you stay when you see some of the players brought in on loan and placed in the first team squad while he was left with the under-23s.

I will agree that I think he made the wrong choice moving to Bournemouth.He should have gone to Nottingham Forest as Warburton would have played him.Even Boro would have been a better choice although harder than Forest to break into the first team.Monk and Beattie must like him though as they wanted to bring him to Leeds and then Boro when they joined.I Don't blame him for leaving the way he was messed around by the club.And I can see the exact same thing happening with Tomlinson in the summer

11 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

This is a blatant cover up by the club.

Only plausible reason is it would clearly put us in the desperate category and prices for targets would go up ?

That's a reasoned thought perhaps understandable.

Archived