BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale Away

RV Blue

15 minutes ago, McClarky said:

I remember Dawson being a decent player who was never fully fit. Some refuelling issues going on  I think.

Ally was never the same player after he got a really nasty head injury - a fractured skull if I remember correctly - BEFORE he signed for us.

As a young player in Scotland he was extremely highly rated, in the days when that actually meant something this side of the border.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fraserkirky said:

Because he is suppose to be bloody brilliant

Says who?A few West brom fans?

I hope he is brilliant but suggesting he walks straight into the first team is madness. If he was brilliant teams higher up the ladder would have taken him on loan and West Bromwich would have been tieing him down to a longer contract than two years

Got a couple of spare tickets for the match - 1 x Adult and 1 x Senior

Would be happy to take £15 for Adult and £10 for Senior ticket. DM me for details - I'm based in Ramsbottom.

Gutted I can't go but reason is because I'm running a bar, for my business Crafty Beer Cans, at Ramsbottom Staion for the Ales on the Rails Beer Festival - https://craftybeercans.co.uk/blog/crafty-beer-cans-at-ales-on-the-rails-september-2017

This is taking place all weekend so if you fancy going via Rammy to the match on Saturday we'll be open selling beer on the Platform from 9.30am!

22 hours ago, mhead said:

Would swap that team for the current one.....anyone agree?

Shows how far we have fallen.

I would certainly put 6 or 7 of that line up in the current first team , Gennoe Price Hendry Barker Sellars Garner .. Possibly Gayle depending on formation . Williams isn't great but Sulley was just as bad , I can't make a case for Mail , Hill etc dislodging Mulgrew , Nicky Reid just ran about the pitch like a mad man , I think Evans is better , then it's a toss up between Ian Miller and Howard Gayle and Dack/Conway/Bennett/Samuel combo

1 hour ago, AJW said:

I would certainly put 6 or 7 of that line up in the current first team , Gennoe Price Hendry Barker Sellars Garner .. Possibly Gayle depending on formation . Williams isn't great but Sulley was just as bad , I can't make a case for Mail , Hill etc dislodging Mulgrew , Nicky Reid just ran about the pitch like a mad man , I think Evans is better , then it's a toss up between Ian Miller and Howard Gayle and Dack/Conway/Bennett/Samuel combo

Shows it's a game of opinions!

Sulley was very steady.  Would take him every day of the week over Williams.

Hill initially showed great potential, sadly, too much too soon.  Mail was another consistent steady Eddie.

Nicky Reid v Evans is no contest.  Reidy rarely missed a match and just the type of player you needed in the trenches with you.  Would have been invaluable now.

Think Miller was brainless.  A one trick pony (speed) who went missing if rattled early.

Gayle would have to be in.  Had an edge to his game which also fired up his team mates and the fans.

Sadly, I think there's only Mulgrew who would have got near that team.

3 hours ago, Scutdog said:

Gutted I can't go but reason is because I'm running a bar, for my business Crafty Beer Cans, at Ramsbottom Staion for the Ales on the Rails Beer Festival - https://craftybeercans.co.uk/blog/crafty-beer-cans-at-ales-on-the-rails-september-2017

This is taking place all weekend so if you fancy going via Rammy to the match on Saturday we'll be open selling beer on the Platform from 9.30am!

The coach I am on from Darwen is stopping at Rammy so I will try and get a few of us to pop in for a beer! I had read about this already but the fact you are a Rovers fan has swung it! 

12 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Hahaha, Tomphil, I was sure you'd let your voice be heard loud and clear RE Howard Gayle. I can't say I ever saw the man play live, but from the bits and pieces you can find online and the descriptions of him in Mike Jackman's book, he seems like a proper player.

Had a fantastic bond with the crowd and had a bit of pedigree as a player, one who has a presence on the pitch. Probably a bit of an under achiever in truth that's why he ended up at Rovers but I bet he had a few off pitch distractions being a lad from Liverpool :D

29 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Hahaha, Tomphil, I was sure you'd let your voice be heard loud and clear RE Howard Gayle. I can't say I ever saw the man play live, but from the bits and pieces you can find online and the descriptions of him in Mike Jackman's book, he seems like a proper player.

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Shows it's a game of opinions!

Sulley was very steady.  Would take him every day of the week over Williams.

Hill initially showed great potential, sadly, too much too soon.  Mail was another consistent steady Eddie.

Nicky Reid v Evans is no contest.  Reidy rarely missed a match and just the type of player you needed in the trenches with you.  Would have been invaluable now.

Think Miller was brainless.  A one trick pony (speed) who went missing if rattled early.

Gayle would have to be in.  Had an edge to his game which also fired up his team mates and the fans.

Sadly, I think there's only Mulgrew who would have got near that team.

Keith Hill was always a very poor lower league centre half not as good as David May unfortunately as for Nicky Reid not the best but never failed to give 100% every time in the blue and white jersey.

Them were the days when everyone played for the team and not just for themselves .

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Had a fantastic bond with the crowd and had a bit of pedigree as a player, one who has a presence on the pitch. Probably a bit of an under achiever in truth that's why he ended up at Rovers but I bet he had a few off pitch distractions being a lad from Liverpool :D

Hahaha, seems like a straight-talker in his interviews alright. The footage I have seen of him looks great. Two good feet, direct runner, eye for goal etc.

And yeah, blueboy! That's a great clip, that's how I recognised HG in Tomphil's avatar.

Does Howard Gayle ever get down to Ewood anymore?

1 hour ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Does Howard Gayle ever get down to Ewood anymore?

He was interviewed on the pitch at half time during a game towards the end of last season to publicise his autobiography and to discuss a question and answer session that evening with Garner, at Darwen FC if memory serves. He is a great story teller.

Don Mackay undoubtedly got more out of Gayle than his other managers. I think he scored more in '88/'89 than he had in his entire career to that point. He was a fast, exciting player; loved by the Blackburn End with whom he interacted brilliantly. A bit injury prone, I remember him doing his hamstring in a Littlewoods cup tie circa '87. I think that game may have been Keith Hill' s debut funnily enough.

I heard that Howard became a little too close to Ron Saunders' daughter whilst playing for him at Birmingham, leading to him having to leave the club. He was something of a journeyman if truth be told with a questionable attitude which prevented his career development. 

6 hours ago, david brent said:

The coach I am on from Darwen is stopping at Rammy so I will try and get a few of us to pop in for a beer! I had read about this already but the fact you are a Rovers fan has swung it! 

Excellent! I'll make sure I've got plenty of stock in for some thirsty Rovers fans! Will have about twenty different cans available with varying strengths... ?

4 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

He was interviewed on the pitch at half time during a game towards the end of last season to publicise his autobiography and to discuss a question and answer session that evening with Garner, at Darwen FC if memory serves. He is a great story teller.

Don Mackay undoubtedly got more out of Gayle than his other managers. I think he scored more in '88/'89 than he had in his entire career to that point. He was a fast, exciting player; loved by the Blackburn End with whom he interacted brilliantly. A bit injury prone, I remember him doing his hamstring in a Littlewoods cup tie circa '87. I think that game may have been Keith Hill' s debut funnily enough.

I heard that Howard became a little too close to Ron Saunders' daughter whilst playing for him at Birmingham, leading to him having to leave the club. He was something of a journeyman if truth be told with a questionable attitude which prevented his career development. 

Was always in Ladbrokes in Blackburn according to urban myth :)

I'm over from Spain for a few days, so will be going to my first game of the season. I am going with a couple of lads who have season tickets and will be having a beer or two. I hope we can win it, but it is by no means a formality.

Anyone read 'rule of night' by Trevor Hoyle about a Rochdale skinhead in the early '70s? It includes an account of a Rovers away day at Spotland and an authentic extract from the Rochdale Observer which is graphic in its account of the violence and affray. I'm sure it will be more friendly this Saturday!

Archived