SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale Away

RV Blue

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So those who were slating Downing and Antonsson without having seen them play, where are you all now? Interested to hear your views. 

It's one game bigdogg. I wasn't at the match so can't comment but from listening to the radio commentary Antonnson missed a few chances and the defence wasn't tested.I'm sure all Rovers fans who critized the signings and I include myself in this hope to be proven wrong as if they do well it will mean rovers do well

Solid performance, 3 on the bounce, blank sheet - happy with that. Time for a few beers.

Hearing that Graham actually ran around a bit - which is good news too. I seriously think he knew he was being touted around or wanted a move himself - hence the uninterested previously. Now its done and dusted he has no choice but to show some interest if he wants to play.

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It's one game bigdogg. I wasn't at the match so can't comment but from listening to the radio commentary Antonnson missed a few chances and the defence wasn't tested.I'm sure all Rovers fans who critized the signings and I include myself in this hope to be proven wrong as if they do well it will mean rovers do well

...chances he got himself into position for. I didn't see the game, but Antonsson has scored goals in a better league than this one and could be a real asset for us this season. 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So those who were slating Downing and Antonsson without having seen them play, where are you all now? Interested to hear your views. 

Give it a rest Chaddy mark two. Never understand supporters come on here with comments like these whenever we win.... Fantastic result today and performance! COYB :brfc:

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Just askin' 

Our class is beginning to tell in this league. May as well give player of the year to Smallwood already, what a class act. 

Wasn't able to follow the game but I've seen reports that Downing looked good when he did have something to do. Excellent news that Graham scored, if he gets going he'll score plentiful. Good to see Antonsson score too. Everything looking positive after a slow start. 

Just now, islander200 said:

And people who where at the game said he was poor in the first half.Not being funny but the Swedish league isn't a high standard.Like I said I hope he does well but not going to be hailing him after 1 goal against a very poor Rochdale side

And League 1 is? We've achieved many great things as a club, but right now we're in a tinpot league. Hopefully it's a short, soon to be forgotten visit, but any other view of our current situation is rose tinted.  

Great three points. I'll take the first stab at ratings.

Raya-8 Didn't have to save anything. Kicking was okay, and good aerial ability shown today. Wont have an easier afternoon.

Caddis-7 Solid enough. Needs to start whipping it in first time when he is in the right area. He is a smart player.

Downing-8 Didn't put a foot wrong. Solid signing on first viewing.

Ward-8 Got to give it to him, I thought he was done, but he has been excellent the last three games.

Williams-7.5 Great game going forward. Should have had a couple of strikes when he has the chance. Not sold defensively.

Bennett-8 great cross for the opener. Had a good game overall. Good cover for Caddis for first 60 mins then switched to the left

Smallwood-8 lovely finish, worked his socks off. Clear fan favourite, fans didn't stop signing his song all game. Love seeing a tough tackling hard man in centre mid for us. First name on the team sheet.

Evans-8 Looked Sharp throughout, great workrate, and was sound positionally, starting to see the real Corey Evans? Works well with Smallwood. 

Conway-8 8's straight across the midfield. Worked his socks off for 65 mins, as usual. Saw him beat a man today as well. 

Samuel-7 Worked hard, quiet first half. Think he set up Antonsson. Didn't get much of a sniff, apart from the one that fizzed across the box that both he and Antonsson missed.

Antonsson-7 Nice finish, should have had a couple again. Encouraging performance today. Looks like an out and out poacher.

Subs
Chapman-7 Looked great again, there was a fabulous turn on the half way line that absolutely binned his marker. He is going to be brilliant for us this season. Surprised not see him start but Bennett and Conway are much more solid defensively.

Dack-6 Pretty quiet when he came on. Don't think we will see him start on tighter pitches as he gets muscled out pretty easily.

Graham-7 Well about bloody time he got fit. You can tell he has been training hard the last two weeks. Looks much more mobile, and did pretty well when he came on. I missed his goal as I turned away when I thought the keeper got it. 

Mowbray- 10. Got a settled formation now, and the squad looks great with plenty depth at most positions. Even with 3 starters out today we had no problems. Great to see a fit Danny Graham come on. New boys starting to shine. Smallwood is looking like the best signing for this club in years.

Just now, Commondore said:

And League 1 is? We've achieved many great things as a club, but right now we're in a tinpot league. Hopefully it's a short, soon to be forgotten visit, but any other view of our current situation is rose tinted.  

I didn't say league one was a high standard did I? When Antonnson has played well and scored a few goals il congratulate him but I'm not going to start believing he will be a "real asset" on the back of 1 goal against a poor Rochdale side when in the games I have seen when he has played he has been awful.

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Danny Graham actual ran about when he came on! Looked sharp.

Great win

Working on ratings

One of the most pleasing things for me today was that one or two of the players who have looked the worst this season actually looked decent today like Graham and Antonssen.

A bit like last week against MK Dons I didnt think we were brilliant but once again were playing an appallingly poor side and did more than enough despite looking sloppy and complacent in the first half after going ahead.

Whilst id probably be starting them, Dack and Chapman are two hellishly fearsome substitutes to see coming on when you're two down. We're  still somewhat of a work in progress but starting to look promising

Good to spend the afternoon in the Company of 3000 + positive fans only wanting to see the side do well and prepared to judge what went on on its merits rather than the negative "we'll never do anything while Venky's are here' diatribe which pervades this messagebosrd.

Enjoyable day. Cracking pub in the town centre the Baum on Toad Lane which was apparently the site where the Co-op was formed.

Tuesday night a massive game now. Win that and we'll be looking in very decent shape.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15525823._We_looked_like_a_team_who_are_acclimatising_to_the_league____Tony_Mowbray_delighted_as_Rovers_record_a_third_straight_league_win/?ref=mac

“I have to talk about the supporters,” Mowbray added. “It was an amazing turnout, I have been here a few times to watch or bring a team and never seen such support from the away side. It was quite amazing.”

• Backroom
1 hour ago, J*B said:

Rochdale are the worst football team I have seen in a long long time. 

The good news is there's plenty of teams at this level as bad as them 

Won in a canter really against a Rochdale side who didn't offer much. It's far too early to get carried away but in the last three league games we have looked far better whilst playing a standard formation. I think we can improve the team yet from within the squad but whilst we are winning there shouldn't be too many changes.

Tuesday will be far more representative of what is required to get into the top places.

Archived