BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale Away

RV Blue

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forecasted a 2-0 win but glad they surpassed that. Few pleasing things today such as clean sheet. Get the confidence up in the defence. Two strikers get off d mark today and Smallwood gets a goal to reward his no nonsense approach to the start of the season. Really great result. Scunthorpe Tuesday night. Nothing to fear if we face this game with the right attitude. Going to be a big test. 

• Moderation Lead

3 goals and a clean sheet away from home, very encouraging. Two tough away games coming up against teams above us in the league which I imagine will give us more of an idea of where we are in relation to the promotion picture. 

Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, Commondore said:

...chances he got himself into position for. I didn't see the game, but Antonsson has scored goals in a better league than this one and could be a real asset for us this season. 

He will continue to improve. Goal with give him confidence. He was in the starting XI for his movement. His hold up play is improving and he seems to be beginning to develop an understanding.

What impressed me today was our work rate and playing as a TEAM.

Evans and Smallwood were superb. The former is definitely looking like a cut above at this level.

Whilst Rochdale were poor, if we play whoever is in front of us in the same way and raise our game for better teams we have nothing to fear.

Be interesting to bench mark our 'quality' against Shrewsbury. Will be telling and interesting barometer.

Belief is beginning to build!

Just now, Tormund said:

It's amazing to see the turn around in support for Smallwood - many fans complained about him signing without seeing him play. I love situations like this.

On the face of it at the time it was an underwhelming signing but i think those including myself who thought that - would have hoped to have been proven wrong and on the start he has made he is definitely doing so. When you compare him to the irreplaceable Lowe...just wow really.

27 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

He will continue to improve. Goal with give him confidence. He was in the starting XI for his movement. His hold up play is improving and he seems to be beginning to develop an understanding.

What impressed me today was our work rate and playing as a TEAM.

Evans and Smallwood were superb. The former is definitely looking like a cut above at this level.

Whilst Rochdale were poor, if we play whoever is in front of us in the same way and raise our game for better teams we have nothing to fear.

Be interesting to bench mark our 'quality' against Shrewsbury. Will be telling and interesting barometer.

Belief is beginning to build!

Thought Evans and Smallwood were immense. 

At half time I was thinking " Where abouts did I leave my boots in the loft, maybe I should get them out and get down to Ewood for a trial " .  Every third pass was a miss pass. We weren't moving the ball from back to front with any cohesion at all. It was hit and hope most of the time, the only time Rochdale looked dangerous was when we gifted them the ball in our half. Smallwood's goal was a shining gem in a sea of dross. A good ball out to Bennett on the right, a good cross in that Smallwood met on  the end of a good run into the box. A crisp left foot volley put us 1-0 up. Easy Peasy when you know how.

Second half was a different story. We started on the front foot and had Rochdale rocking. We started to move the ball around more and crucially got Evans into the game more. Most of the game was spent in their half with Rochdale being reduced to the odd breakaway. Eventually the pressure told and Antonson managed to put away a tap in.  Near the end Graham got on the end of a fumble by the  Dale goalie and slotted away another tap in, game over.

l was more impressed with a second half performance. We started to look like a team and we discovered how to get the ball from A to B with a bit of flair . We're nothing like the finished article in my eyes , we're  quite a long way off to be  honest. That was a very poor Rochdale team we were playing , but you can't argue with 3-0 away from home.

Scores 

Raya 6 - nothing to do really, his kicking was OK.

Caddis 6- didn't do a lot wrong but he looked a very limited player to me, must do better.

Ward 6- again didn't do much wrong .

Downing 6- steady performance, got a head or a foot to most things.

Williams 7 - did his best to provide a threat down his flank, no complaints really.

Bennett 7 - busy out on the wing, good cross for the first goal.

Evans 7 - grew in influence as the game went on.

Smallwood 7 - I like this lad , he can be the heartbeat of the team, great run and volley for the first goal.

Conway 6 - worked hard without actually creating anything.

Antonsson 5 - apart from the goal he achieved the square root of nothing, not quick, not strong. We've dropped a bollock here. Not good enough. Remember who told you first. Tony you need to get another option here quickly.

Samuel 8 - grafted for 70 minutes, worked the Dale back four all the time. He's a good spearhead but he's not a natural finisher. He needs somebody sharper than Antonsson along side him.

Subs

Chapman 6 - looks dangerous, when he learns that there are 10 more players out there on his side he could be more dangerous.

Dack 6 - got the makings of a show pony. Managed to get himself booked within 5 minutes of coming on for no good reason at all. Not really impressed so far.

Graham 6- looked OK when he came on. Got the tap in that wrapped the game up.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We're nothing like the finished article in my eyes , we're  quite a long way off to be  honest.

Sounds like the MK Dons performance where we also made hard work of it at times,but huffing and puffing and still winning by 3 goals each week is probably acceptable:)

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At half time I was thinking " Where abouts did I leave my boots in the loft, maybe I should get them out and get down to Ewood for a trial " .  Every third pass was a miss pass. We weren't moving the ball from back to front with any cohesion at all. It was hit and hope most of the time, the only time Rochdale looked dangerous was when we gifted them the ball in our half. Smallwood's goal was a shining gem in a sea of dross. A good ball out to Bennett on the right, a good cross in that Smallwood met on  the end of a good run into the box. A crisp left foot volley put us 1-0 up. Easy Peasy when you know how.

Second half was a different story. We started on the front foot and had Rochdale rocking. We started to move the ball around more and crucially got Evans into the game more. Most of the game was spent in their half with Rochdale being reduced to the odd breakaway. Eventually the pressure told and Antonson managed to put away a tap in.  Near the end Graham got on the end of a fumble by the  Dale goalie and slotted away another tap in, game over.

l was more impressed with a second half performance. We started to looki like a team and we discovered how to get the ball from A to B with a bit of flair . We're nothing like the finished article in my eyes , we're  a long way off to be  honest. That was a very poor Rochdale team we were playing , but you can't argue with 3-0 away from home.

Scores 

Raya 6 - nothing to do really, his kicking was OK.

Caddis 6- didn't do a lot wrong but he looked a very limited player to me, must do better.

Ward 6- again didn't do much wrong .

Downing 6- steady performance, got a head or a foot to most things.

Williams 7 - did his best to provide a threat down his flank, no complaints really.

Bennett 7 - busy out on the wing, good cross for the first goal.

Evans 7 - grew in influence as the game went on.

Smallwood 7 - I like this lad , he can be the heartbeat of the team, great run and volley for the first goal.

Conway 6 - worked hard without actually creating anything.

Antonsson 5 - apart from the goal he achieved the square root of nothing, not quick, not strong. We've dropped a bollock here. Not good enough. Remember who told you first. Tony you need to get another option here quickly.

Samuel 8 - grafted for 70 minutes, worked the Dale back four all the time. He's a good spearhead but he's not a natural finisher. He needs somebody sharper than Antonsson along side him.

Subs

Chapman 6 - looks dangerous, when he learns that there are 10 more players out there on his side he could be more dangerous.

Dack 6 - got the makings of a show pony. Managed to get himself booked within 5 minutes of coming on for no good reason at all. Not really impressed so far.

Graham 6- looked OK when he came on. Got the tap in that wrapped the game up.

Think we must remember that this team is still a new group; think we are witnessing continual improvement.

Dack isn't simply a show pony. He had his little contretemps by also showed desire to get stuck in and win the ball too. He will beg questions of defences in a way other players won't. There were a couple of times where he played some great balls.

As the team gels more and his team mates start to read him better, I think we'll be singing his praises as the season wears on.

Love the way Caddis frog marched him 10 yards or so out of trouble when he was having hand bags with the Dale player.

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sounds like the MK Dons performance where we also made hard work of it at times,but huffing and puffing and still winning by 3 goals each week is probably acceptable:)

All the huffing & puffing I saw was all positive and what we need to do to win games.

Mark hard work of it? Definitely not!

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think I know the answer but is there any chance whatsoever that we made them look bad?

Not really. Chapman and Dack did in the last 15 minutes when between them and Evans they just passed it through them. But first half was honestly some of the worst football from Rochdale I have ever seen, although I imagine the weather didn't help. 

Just now, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

All the huffing & puffing I saw was all positive and what we need to do to win games.

Mark hard work of it? Definitely not!

Good stuff, I wasn't there I was just responding to a post that described a similar performance to the last match I saw. I look forward to lots more 'positive' huffing and puffing in the future:)

How did Antonsson play?

Archived