BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale Away

RV Blue

9 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Read back what I said. I never said that Downing was a poor signing, I said that if you judge Harper because he's played 20 mins in the Prem, you could quite easily judge Downing because he couldn't get in a poor MK Dons side. You seem to have a habit of completely missing the point of an argument.

Harper is 17. Making a Premier league debut at that age is a great achievement. If you see a lad making his debut in that league at 17, would you not think "that guy must be good". 

Downing couldn't get in the starting 11 for the game against us. He has had a solid league 1 career prior to this. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Harper is 17. Making a Premier league debut at that age is a great achievement. If you see a lad making his debut in that league at 17, would you not think "that guy must be good". 

Downing couldn't get in the starting 11 for the game against us. He has had a solid league 1 career prior to this. 

If Downing was good why would mk dons be willing to let him leave on loan?This is mk dons we are talking about.He wasn't Mowbrays first choice.Who are you referring too when you say people think he is a bad player because he was on the bench v rovers?

I hope the guy does well and if he makes a mistake you can be assured I won't be on here the minute it happens to say I told you so like you where yesterday when we kept a clean sheet.

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Looks like a good do.

Fantastic.Thanks for posting.Brought a tear to my eye. There is hope.

What a great win for the wonderful fans...

I am holding two separate lines of thought at the same time...joy and pride in the club and these fans, along with a complete and utter refusal to pretend all is well and an unwillingness to forget that our owners and other crooks have taken us down two divisions( among many other things!) Nothing divisive in that either.

RTID

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

If Downing was good why would mk dons be willing to let him leave on loan?This is mk dons we are talking about.He wasn't Mowbrays first choice.Who are you referring too when you say people think he is a bad player because he was on the bench v rovers?

I hope the guy does well and if he makes a mistake you can be assured I won't be on here the minute it happens to say I told you so like you where yesterday when we kept a clean sheet.

MK dons who are in the same division as us? Jesus you talk about them like they are a joke. They were in the Championship not too long ago. 

Well you mightn't be on, but I'm sure some will be out of the woodwork. The likes of those who are basically saying yesterday doesn't count because it was "only Rochdale"

Arrogant Rovers fans 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The negative moaners disappear when the subjects of their ire perform well. They don't put their hands up and say they were wrong, they just move onto a new target/victim.

Our questions and comments are completely legitimate 

Whenever we sign players, fans will always have their own opinions. I remember us singing "if Batty plays for England so can I", and then when we signed him a few weeks later the fan base was torn as to whether he was a good signing or not. People are allowed to voice their opinions. Blindly saying someone is wonderful just because he now plays for Rovers is just dumb.

I don't think Downing is a great signing because I felt we needed to strengthen rather than bring in cover in that area. He had a very good debut. I really hope he proves me wrong. Antonnson on the other hand has looked poor in the games I have seen him in. By all accounts he wasnt great yesterday either.

However your immediate after-the-game point scoring post generated people to come on and start saying Downing wasn't up against much and Antonnson was poor. They were then whinged at for being negative. They were not moaning until you posted.

There are obviously some people who will slate every signing made under these owners, which is just ridiculous. However if someone has an opinion that a player signed isn't good enough, that's part of following your team. It's up to the player to change that opinion.  

Just now, Hasta said:

Whenever we sign players, fans will always have their own opinions. I remember us singing "if Batty plays for England so can I", and then when we signed him a few weeks later the fan base was torn as to whether he was a good signing or not. People are allowed to voice their opinions. Blindly saying someone is wonderful just because he now plays for Rovers is just dumb.

I don't think Downing is a great signing because I felt we needed to strengthen rather than bring in cover in that area. He had a very good debut. I really hope he proves me wrong. Antonnson on the other hand has looked poor in the games I have seen him in. By all accounts he wasnt great yesterday either.

However your immediate after-the-game point scoring post generated people to come on and start saying Downing wasn't up against much and Antonnson was poor. They were then whinged at for being negative. They were not moaning until you started your point-scoring.

There are obviously some people who will slate every signing made under these owners, which is just ridiculous. However if someone has an opinion that a player signed isn't good enough, that's part of following your team. It's up to the player to change that opinion.  

Some fair points, however I am not blindly saying anyone is wonderful. I am criticising those who are blindly saying players are terrible.

I wasn't aiming to score any points. I was wondering if those who are quick to criticise are as quick to give credit when it is due. It is a fair point. 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

MK dons who are in the same division as us? Jesus you talk about them like they are a joke. They were in the Championship not too long ago. 

Well you mightn't be on, but I'm sure some will be out of the woodwork. The likes of those who are basically saying yesterday doesn't count because it was "only Rochdale"

Arrogant Rovers fans 

It's nothing to do with being arrogant.Mowbray said during the summer that anyone brought in would be of the quality to challenge for the starting 11.We where in for Heneghan a highly rated and coveted centre half so of course some fans will be a little disappointed when we bring in a player who is not first choice at a team that should be finishing well below us this season. I haven't seen Downing in the blue and white as couldn't go yesterday as was working till 2.

I have seen Antonnson and he was absolute dross and didn't look suited to the English game at all.But in fairness he hasn't been at the club long so will give him some time before I completely write him off.

The only reason I got involved in this conversation was because of your arrogant post yesterday when we should all have just been enjoying the win

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some fair points, however I am not blindly saying anyone is wonderful. I am criticising those who are blindly saying players are terrible.

I wasn't aiming to score any points. I was wondering if those who are quick to criticise are as quick to give credit when it is due. It is a fair point. 

Ok. The post just came across as a pop at anyone who didn't rate those two signings, regardless of whether they will make a rational judgement or not.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

And I will be judging them in a blue and white shirt and hope they do well.But nobody can say yet that they where good signings

You can say based on the season so far Smallwood, Chapman and Samuel have been good signings. 

2 hours ago, meadows said:

And don't forget these players were only ever  signed on the cheap because we were definitely selling  Mulgrew/Lenihan/Graham to ensure a profit in summer transfer activity. 

Oh yeah forgot this. So many ppl said we were selling Lenihan, Mulgrew, Evans and Graham. Not of it happened

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Downing was a last minute signing by Mowbray,he wasn't his first choice and been suggested on here that he wasn't even his second Bigdogg.I'm sure if Mowbray wanted he could have even brought him on a permanent deal the fact he didn't suggests that even Mowbray isn't that sold on him

No he wasnt 1st choice but we been over this previously. He was plan C but someone knew and could bring in if plan A or B didnt happen. Good planning

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The negative moaners disappear when the subjects of their ire perform well. They don't put their hands up and say they were wrong, they just move onto a new target/victim.

Our questions and comments are completely legitimate 

And who are they? The fact of the matter is Downing doesn't have a gleaming record and was a 3rd choice signing in a position where we needed strengthening. That's why people were unhappy with the signing. The fact he played well on the weekend means nothing - it's good that he did. However, the concerns over the transfer remain. Rather than strengthening a position we are still left with 3 injury prone centre backs, a couple of youngsters and a player that has had a truly unremarkable career. I'm not saying we should sign superstars but every club he has been at were glad to see the back of him and that is concerning. It could be that a move to Rovers is exactly what was needed - playing with Mulgrew and learning from him whilst training with better facilities and coaches than his previous clubs, with no disrespect to either.

I am over the moon he played and kept a clean sheet yesterday. I'm sure others who voiced their concerns are too. You have just come on here looking for a reaction in some weird "I told you so" moment; when, in reality, you offered no opinion other than "have you seen him play". Yet, weirdly, you still haven't seen him play as you weren't there on Saturday but you are now judging him. Strange.

You are also doing the same for Harper. Practice what you preach.

As for the game it was good to see Antonsson get a goal. Still not impressed with him whatsoever though. He's definitely lacking confidence. I agree with the poster that said Dack is a bit petulant. He clearly has talent but that booking he got was just bizarre. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Only problem being we've got all the local games (bar Fleetwood) bunched together up to mid November, so folk may be a bit choosy.

We'll take plenty to Oldham and Bury, but Wigan is a ground we've been to many times recently, so may see a smaller following there.

Rovers fans will turn out in numbers to follow a successful winning side wherever it may be.....it's been too long since we had something to cheer about!

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Oh yeah forgot this. So many ppl said we were selling Lenihan, Mulgrew, Evans and Graham. Not of it happened

No he wasnt 1st choice but we been over this previously. He was plan C but someone knew and could bring in if plan A or B didnt happen. Good planning

Hahahaha. I admire your ability to see the positives in anything Rovers do, and whilst there have certainly been positives this summer this isn't one of them.

Having a "plan c" is what every club in this country will do. Waiting until the final day of the transfer window and failing to land plan a and plan b is poor planning. It's as simple as that.

And nobody can say they didn't expect one of the 4 players you mentioned to be sold this window. We were relegated and rumours were swirling about them going. Sheffield United were hovering around Lenihan, Mulgrew had links with Sheff Wed and Graham had links with PNE and QPR(?).

12 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Rovers fans will turn out in numbers to follow a successful winning side wherever it may be.....it's been too long since we had something to cheer about!

Hope so.

Just a shame there's no local games in the run in, no chance of a Bury 1980 repeat...

17 hours ago, Neal said:

Aye mate, because HOPEFULLY we'll end up in a league just below the one we should be in. 

Some of those fans (like me) will only go to away games and just take in a game of football... People LIKE YOU have the nerve to call supporters like myself devisive and then spout this bullshit. 

Just enjoy the win you souerkraut.

I have to say my response was similar to yours, when I read Rev's post.

I refuse to pretend that all is well or to forget the shameful process by which Rovers came to to be relegated from the premier league. A total scandal. I refuse to forget the shameful way we got relegated to the third tier. Another scandal-just think Coyle and SEM!

Like yourself, Neal, I enjoyed the win and our magnificent fans, despite all that they have been through. Like yourself, I refuse to be silenced by cheap digs.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Fantastic.Thanks for posting.Brought a tear to my eye. There is hope.

What a great win for the wonderful fans...

I am holding two separate lines of thought at the same time...joy and pride in the club and these fans, along with a complete and utter refusal to pretend all is well and an unwillingness to forget that our owners and other crooks have taken us down two divisions( among many other things!) Nothing divisive in that either.

RTID

We all know exactly where you are coming from Leonard,what they have done is unforgivable.The Raos put our club on its arse and dragged us backward through the mud.

But let's join together behind this team,behind Mowbray and let's at least get the fook out of this dead man's division.Relegation from the Premiership was galling,relegation to  Division one was utterly embarrassing and painful.

I will guzzle down any hint of success this season like a thirsty man in the desert....God only knows it's been long enough.

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And who are they? The fact of the matter is Downing doesn't have a gleaming record and was a 3rd choice signing in a position where we needed strengthening. That's why people were unhappy with the signing. The fact he played well on the weekend means nothing - it's good that he did. However, the concerns over the transfer remain. Rather than strengthening a position we are still left with 3 injury prone centre backs, a couple of youngsters and a player that has had a truly unremarkable career. I'm not saying we should sign superstars but every club he has been at were glad to see the back of him and that is concerning. It could be that a move to Rovers is exactly what was needed - playing with Mulgrew and learning from him whilst training with better facilities and coaches than his previous clubs, with no disrespect to either.

I am over the moon he played and kept a clean sheet yesterday. I'm sure others who voiced their concerns are too. You have just come on here looking for a reaction in some weird "I told you so" moment; when, in reality, you offered no opinion other than "have you seen him play". Yet, weirdly, you still haven't seen him play as you weren't there on Saturday but you are now judging him. Strange.

You are also doing the same for Harper. Practice what you preach.

As for the game it was good to see Antonsson get a goal. Still not impressed with him whatsoever though. He's definitely lacking confidence. I agree with the poster that said Dack is a bit petulant. He clearly has talent but that booking he got was just bizarre. 

It wasn't I told you so, because I never claimed Downing was any good. I asked those who were slating him if they had actually seen him play and questioned those who , as you are above, repeatedly using the fact he was a sub against us as some kind of barometer of his entire career, whilst ignoring his solid record with Walsall. 

A player who makes their Premier league debut at 17, 9/10 has something about them that would suggest they can do a job in League 1. I also watched that game and he did not look out of place physically. So I don't get what you mean telling me to practice what I preach?

50 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Agreed, but we can also say Antonnson and Gladwin have been poor signings so far.

Harsh on Antonnson. I thought he did okay yesterday and took his goal well. Indeed the crucial goal which made the 3 points safe. He was better yesterday than previous matches. I'd accept 'jury out' so far but disagree with you already deeming him a poor signing. 

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It wasn't I told you so, because I never claimed Downing was any good. I asked those who were slating him if they had actually seen him play and questioned those who , as you are above, repeatedly using the fact he was a sub against us as some kind of barometer of his entire career, whilst ignoring his solid record with Walsall. 

A player who makes their Premier league debut at 17, 9/10 has something about them that would suggest they can do a job in League 1. I also watched that game and he did not look out of place physically. So I don't get what you mean telling me to practice what I preach?

Again, people were slating the signing and the manner of it. Learn to differentiate. I sincerely hope he does well at the club but, on the face of it, it was a panic decision. 

The fact he was a sub against us is not important. The fact he's been a constant mid-table player in a poor league his whole life is though, aside from that one season with Walsall.

You are telling people not to judge a player based on snippets of stats or single performances yet here you are claiming Harper is a good player. He has it all to prove before he can be considered 'good'.

Plenty of youngsters have had appearances only to fade into obscurity.

Just now, meadows said:

Downing informed Walsall he wouldn't be signing the new contract he was offered after they missed out on the play offs two years ago. 

Hardly "glad to see the back of him."

I'm talking about the fans' opinions. Fans of both MK Dons and Walsall have said that he is a mistake waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, meadows said:

Thierry Henry & Dennis Bergkampf were poor signings if judged by their first 6 weeks at clubs. Likewise Tim Sherwood, Henning Berg and dozens of other Rovers players who took time to blossom. 

Pedersen is also an example! Took him a few months to settle! I thought he was garbage at first! 

Just now, meadows said:

Yes and fans of Cardiff told us that Gestede was an occasional scorer from the bench who wasn't worth his shop in a starting XI

You only have to spend 5 minutes on here to ascertain that what much of what fans think isn't much more than uninformed tittle tattle and hysterical over reaction based on unwavering preconceived misjudgements. 

Which is why I said that maybe the move to Rovers is what is needed but, on the face of it, it's a poor decision to bring him to the club brought about by poor planning and moving at the final moments of the window.

Gestede has since proved them fans right but was a brilliant player for us. He's not done much since.

The fact both sets of fans say the exact same thing about him means it's probably quite accurate. I hope he proves them wrong though.

14 minutes ago, david brent said:

Harsh on Antonnson. I thought he did okay yesterday and took his goal well. Indeed the crucial goal which made the 3 points safe. He was better yesterday than previous matches. I'd accept 'jury out' so far but disagree with you already deeming him a poor signing. 

10 minutes ago, meadows said:

Thierry Henry & Dennis Bergkampf were poor signings if judged by their first 6 weeks at clubs. Likewise Tim Sherwood, Henning Berg and dozens of other Rovers players who took time to blossom. 

I know this. They may prove to be shrews buys.

I was just pointing out that if Chaddy says "You can say based on the season so far Smallwood, Chapman and Samuel have been good signings. ", that you can also say the opposite about Gladwin and Antonnson.

You can't rate the success of a signing in 6 weeks, however you can form an opinion.  People seem to think that's unreasonable for some reason.

Archived