BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale Away

RV Blue

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I know this. They may prove to be shrews buys.

I was just pointing out that if Chaddy says "You can say based on the season so far Smallwood, Chapman and Samuel have been good signings. ", that you can also say the opposite about Gladwin and Antonnson.

You can't rate the success of a signing in 6 weeks, however you can form an opinion.  People seem to think that's unreasonable for some reason.

Fair enough I didn't realise the context in which you made the comment.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, david brent said:

Pedersen is also an example! Took him a few months to settle! I thought he was garbage at first! 

I remember his debut, talk about powder puff!

Only Rovers fans can argue and moan after a brilliant 3-0 win in front of a fantastic, vocal following.

To a man, thought we were superb. Defence looked good (especially full backs), and could have been more than 3. That goal could be just what Antonssen needs (ditto Graham).

Only slight annoyance was the idiot who decided to celebrate the goal by throwing a whole bottle of coke over his own fans. Don't mind someone accidentally doing it, but pretty braindead throwing it from the top of the stand. Absolutely drenched me and my girlfriend.

Other than that, great following and we are looking pretty good.

46 minutes ago, meadows said:

I think it IS possible to judge some signings within weeks. Shearer. Rhodes. Hendry, Tugay, Roger Jones, McNamee, Field. 

Others take longer to settle. 

Others find a niche at one club and they never look as comfortable anywhere else

Why not just let the next few months take their course and maybe assess where we're at when the next window comes around?

We're a third division side currently in the market for third division players

I've seen as much of Paul Downing as I've seen of Heneghan - ie nothing - and have no idea who's the better  player  

Neither have, I suspect, most of the people who consider it a disaster that we missed out on one and signed the other

Shearer's debut. I remember being about 12 and still feeling really gutted that we had sold Speedie. After seeing his goals, I spent about two or three hours just smashing really long range shots at a toilet wall at a crap caravan site in Southport. Instant hero for me.  So much so, I used to have a fight almost every Monday at school because some dingle muppet in the year above used to say David Hirst was better than him and I would go to school on the wind up every time he outscored him. 

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Great post. Until we scored the first goal and in the second half I detected a distinct improvement in the motivation, urgency levels and performance of players about whom I've been fairly scathing this season - Williams, Bennett, Antonsson, Graham. I'd put it primarily down to them being buoyed by the size of the away support but it could be that confidence levels are slowly starting to rise as well. 

Hope it continues.

Man of you to put that in writing, admit you saw some improvement.  Seems most now look for ways to try to reinforce their initial comments.  Good job Rev.

6 hours ago, gumboots said:

I dont think theres anyone here who actually wants any rovers players to do badly.

Mmmm, I'm afraid i'd have to dis-agree with that.  Sad as it is I think there are a handful who welcome failure by some players just so they can pat themselves on the back and give it the old I told you so. 

What a mostly enjoyable afternoon that was. Home stewards instruction to ignore the seat numbers on your ticket and "Sit wherever you want" seemed a like a recipe for disaster, but we got away with that mostly. 

We appear to have found our level, bossing and beating up perennial lower league scufflers. Good times. Had our evening meal in The Baum, what an ace pub that is.

Those on the later train from Rochdale back to East lancs via Todmorden Curve, inc Bob Fleming and Scotty were witness to the improved version of Richie Smallwood song-We`ll never be the same again. 

7 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Mmmm, I'm afraid i'd have to dis-agree with that.  Sad as it is I think there are a handful who welcome failure by some players just so they can pat themselves on the back and give it the old I told you so. 

Seriously? I really don't see it.

I was one of Lowe's biggest critics but every match day I wanted him to become Bobby Charlton. Unfortunately he was always more like Bobby Ball.

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wasn't talking about the performance, I criticised aspects of it myself and still think we have a lot of room and scope for improvement.

Obviously no - one could come on here and complain too much after a 3-0 win, but im sure certain people will be on here like a shot moaning about the owners next time we lose even though the result and performance on the day is entirely down to the manager and the players once they cross the white line.

A few moaned about the win though Rev, why wait for the next loss when you can have a go when your team has won 3-0 away  from home.  Several posts were of the how crap are Rochdale rather than offer anything positive abiut our efforts.

I expected us to lose myself so I am delighted with the result.  How poor was the 1st half, dunno fell back asleep, matbe that is how poor it was lol.

2nd Half?  I enjoyed a lot of it, thought we passed well got stuck in, created some space for ourselves (oh for a fast striker to use that).  A bit of a sticky patch for 10 or 15 mins before our seco d as Dale tried to level but ither than that I was quite pleased.  Can't comment on a lot of individual performances since I don't know who is who.  The mobile screen not so big I don't recognize most of our players by looks and there is no commentary for me to learn whose who.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I have to say my response was similar to yours, when I read Rev's post.

I refuse to pretend that all is well or to forget the shameful process by which Rovers came to to be relegated from the premier league. A total scandal. I refuse to forget the shameful way we got relegated to the third tier. Another scandal-just think Coyle and SEM!

Like yourself, Neal, I enjoyed the win and our magnificent fans, despite all that they have been through. Like yourself, I refuse to be silenced by cheap digs.

Clearly in the general scheme of things we are some way off "all being well". However we are starting to look a little more promising on the pitch and Im even starting to think that given the relative quality and depth of our squad to our rivals in this division it would be some going not to get promoted this season, but Im trying to banish such thoughts, we all know that to date a little optimism has been a very dangerous thing with Venky's at the helm always one step away from making another disastrous decision. However as the old proverb goes the longest journey starts with a single step so Im not really certain why many people cant just accept any signs of improvement at face value instead of tempering it with comments like, "Yeah but look who we were playing" or "So what we should still be in the Premier League". You cant change the past and the reality is that no - one is likely to come in and take us over in the immediate future because of the debt so the ownership situation is what it is.

As for "cheap digs" my original post wasnt even directed at Neal, i was merely contrasting the usual mood on this board with the  fans who were at Rochdale yesterday. If those fans were all boycotting because of Venky's etc one side of the ground wouldnt have been packed out with 3000+ fans. Neal however couldnt resist a pop back which is of course his prerogative.

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

BDS does make a fair point. Our old mate Shrimper the Southend fan was hounded off the board for being too positive for many and daring to suggest we had players most teams in the division would kill for.

Then the West Brom (?) fan who came on here trying to make a reasonable point about one of the young lads we'd signed on loan was met with sarcasm amongst all the abuse flying around about the 3 signings in genera

I was  a bit ashamed of the  way some posters treated those 2.  I quite enjoyed Shrimpers posts, poor guy was alright.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't care about proven right. I don't know any of you,so why would I care? 

My point, which you keep missing ,and actually ironically proving, is manipulating stats from Wikipdia to make the case a player isn't good enough, without actually seeing them play. 

On your middle paragraph, Downing is a proven,solid League 1 centre half. Antonsson was a revelation in Sweden. Harper has played in the Premier league at 17, what an achievement. 

We can all use stats to make a case without actually seeing the player actually play 

I don't see any stats there.

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

First of all, we've no divine right to be in the Premiership. Secondly, although you scoffed a while ago about the possibility of promotion saying 'who cares we should be in the Premier League anyway" the last time I looked you can't get promoted two divisions at once so its one step at a time and this season is obviously vitally important to that end.

Thirdly many people including yourself are quick enough to complain about misplaced premature or excessive optimism, I'm complaining about the constant premature misplaced or excessive pessimism and allowing myself a note of cautious optimism. Sorry if thats offends you.

Finally whilst im sorry to say it you are extremely divisive imo. It does not seem as though you will ever be happy whilst Venky's are at the Club even if we start to enjoy a limited measure of success and are only really happy venting your spleen on here whenever we lose a game. For my own part if the Rao's start or continue to act in a sensible and consistent manner which brings us some improvement on the pitch then I can cope with that and can embrace any small successes that come our way rather than be fixated and obssessed by what has happened in the past. 

Nothing wrong with being positive Rev but don't stir the pot whilst doing it and expect no come back. 

No i won't ever be happy whilst Venkys own the club, my answer is that simple. 

"Continue to act in a sensible manner"

Jesus christ.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Clearly in the general scheme of things we are some way off "all being well". However we are starting to look a little more promising on the pitch and Im even starting to think that given the relative quality and depth of our squad to our rivals in this division it would be some going not to get promoted this season, but Im trying to banish such thoughts, we all know that to date a little optimism has been a very dangerous thing with Venky's at the helm always one step away from making another disastrous decision. However as the old proverb goes the longest journey starts with a single step so Im not really certain why many people cant just accept any signs of improvement at face value instead of tempering it with comments like, "Yeah but look who we were playing" or "So what we should still be in the Premier League". You cant change the past and the reality is that no - one is likely to come in and take us over in the immediate future because of the debt so the ownership situation is what it is.

As for "cheap digs" my original post wasnt even directed at Neal, i was merely contrasting the usual mood on this board with the  fans who were at Rochdale yesterday. If those fans were all boycotting because of Venky's etc one side of the ground wouldnt have been packed out with 3000+ fans. Neal however couldnt resist a pop back which is of course his prerogative.

And my response to was on behalf of those fans you allude to. As i said, don't expect to have digs and not get it back Rev. 

3 hours ago, david brent said:

Pedersen is also an example! Took him a few months to settle! I thought he was garbage at first! 

There are also plenty of examples of those who were just plain tosh from start to finish....Goodwillie....Best....Brown....Varney....Murphy.....Etuhu...

Antonsson is like Rhodes without the goals!  

Listen, I hope the lad proves me wrong and bags 20, just can't see it.  I think Nuttall would offer much more from the bench.

Just now, Bluebarley said:

Thought antonsson did ok overall yesterday before the goal I thought he looked really poor winning nothing & giving the ball away but still managed to compose himself with the finish, let's hope it gives him some confidence 

I would not call that an ok performance. :lol:  He went off 5 minutes after he scored!

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You were right.

Lol. 

To be fair imo MGP was brilliant for a number of seasons then inexplicably turned garbage more or less overnight and remained that way for his final 5 seasons or so at Ewood.

During that initial period when he was dropped Souness sent him off to the gym for a few months purely to work on building his strength up as I recall. 

18 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I would not call that an ok performance. :lol:  He went off 5 minutes after he scored!

2 - nil second half the game was already sewn up by then. He went down clutching his head at 1 point he's fine bone China, think he's a finisher rather than a grafter I think he will make the most of any opportunities but won't get stuck in leading up to them.

35 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lol. 

To be fair imo MGP was brilliant for a number of seasons then inexplicably turned garbage more or less overnight and remained that way for his final 5 seasons or so at Ewood.

During that initial period when he was dropped Souness sent him off to the gym for a few months purely to work on building his strength up as I recall. 

That was Hughes, MGP made his debut away to Newcastle, that was just as Souness had joined Newcastle. Souness had just signed him a few weeks before.

Archived