BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mulgrew injured and subbed

Mercer

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly predictable and frankly outrageous that we're in this position after 4 games. We all knew Mulgrew and Ward would sustain injuries before January and with Lenihan out since Southend this new lad from MK had better be ready. 

I agree though, the calibre of opposition coming up means our £3 million per year academy needs to come good.

It's okay though because according too some on here we have 6 players who can play Centre half :blink:. Don't have faith in any of those supposed centre backs other than the two injured ones in Lenihan and Mulgrew. Whoever comes in will hopefully prove me wrong but not good too be in this situation.

7 hours ago, Butty said:

It's okay though because according too some on here we have 6 players who can play Centre half :blink:. Don't have faith in any of those supposed centre backs other than the two injured ones in Lenihan and Mulgrew. Whoever comes in will hopefully prove me wrong but not good too be in this situation.

Yes very easy to have 6 first choice centre halves... And to keep them all happy... 

You can just sign players in case someone gets injured. In that case we would have 8 centre halves. 

People on here on one hand are giving out that we signed Harper because he is taking the place of our own youth, on the the other hand then they are saying they don't want Wharton or Platt to start. People seem to just find their angle to complain, even if it totally contradicts what they are saying in another thread 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes very easy to have 6 first choice centre halves... And to keep them all happy... 

You can just sign players in case someone gets injured. In that case we would have 8 centre halves. 

People on here on one hand are giving out that we signed Harper because he is taking the place of our own youth, on the the other hand then they are saying they don't want Wharton or Platt to start. People seem to just find their angle to complain, even if it totally contradicts what they are saying in another thread 

Yes you can. It's called strength in depth. All good teams have it. We play 46 games including mid-week, the carabao cup (when we were in it), FA Cup and the checkatrade trophy. Way over 55 games if you have a decent run in a cup. That's more than enough games to keep players happy with sensible rotation.

Especially considering two of your centre halves are injuries waiting to happen.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yes you can. It's called strength in depth. All good teams have it. We play 46 games including mid-week, the carabao cup (when we were in it), FA Cup and the checkatrade trophy. Way over 55 games if you have a decent run in a cup. That's more than enough games to keep players happy with sensible rotation.

Especially considering two of your centre halves are injuries waiting to happen.

We have 6 center halves, you can't keep signing 7 ,8, 9 center halves IN CASE someone gets injured and expect to keep everyone happy. You also can't expect to keep the standard the same. 

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think people are frustrated at not bringing a centre half earlier that the last day of the window. Leaving it that late meant we were severely restricted to who we could get. If the Lenihan injury had been diagnosed earlier there might have been more effort to get Henaghan in (who I'm sure would have fitted the bill) rather than leaving it too late and restricting the chances of being gazumped.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have 6 center halves, you can't keep signing 7 ,8, 9 center halves IN CASE someone gets injured and expect to keep everyone happy. You also can't expect to keep the standard the same. 

Nope you can expect at least 5 of them centre halves to be more than capable of stepping up to the plate. Downing aside, whose history suggests he can play a full season at this level, who else would you say is fit to play there? Williams? Then who plays LB?

Mowbray missed a chance to properly reinforce the defence. Let's hope he doesn't pay for it.

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Promotion/league winning SQUADS have depth, options and backup. Every side in history has suffered at least one or two injuries to important players over the course of a 46 game season. Those who succeed are the ones who are best prepared for that and have the personnel to deal with it.

Many fans, myself included, have been concerned by the depth of this squad particularly at the back and up front all summer. Now, only 4 games into the season, the squad is going to be tested. Nobody seriously expected Mulgrew to play 46 games and maintain his international place and neither will Elliott Ward. The minute Lenihan suffered his injury at Southend then we should have brought in another CB at least on loan.

Nobody can seriously expect us to have 6 first choice CBs and keep them all happy. I expect at least 3-4 proven quality CBs with 1-2 lads from the reserves ready/able to step in if necessary. The manager, like those before him, has been reluctant to trust the U23s so far as seen by his recruitment of kids from WBA and Liverpool on deadline day.

I suspect our academy costs more per year than Rochdale's entire wagebill, so if it isn't going to bear fruit now then when will it?

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think people are frustrated at not bringing a centre half earlier that the last day of the window. Leaving it that late meant we were severely restricted to who we could get. If the Lenihan injury had been diagnosed earlier there might have been more effort to get Henaghan in (who I'm sure would have fitted the bill) rather than leaving it too late and restricting the chances of being gazumped.

We were never seriously in for Henaghan. Sheff U had him earmarked all window whether or not they pursued Lenihan.

If I know that then surely TM/MV did too.

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

Sadly predictable and frankly outrageous that we're in this position after 4 games. We all knew Mulgrew and Ward would sustain injuries before January and with Lenihan out since Southend this new lad from MK had better be ready. 

I agree though, the calibre of opposition coming up means our £3 million per year academy needs to come good.

Mowbray won't use the academy wether they are ready or not

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We were never seriously in for Henaghan. Sheff U has him earmarked all window whether or not they pursued Lenihan.

If I know that then surely TM/MV did too.

From watching that clip of deadline day at Sheffield United my impression was that they only became interested in Henaghan at the last minute. My point though was that we simply left it too late, ended up losing him and pretty much panic bought.

Archived