BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scunthorpe United v ROVERS

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Would like to see Dack, Graham and Chapman get a start. I think Mowbray will field the same team as Sat but with Mulgrew in for Downing.

Any word on Nyambe yet?

Not for me. Same team as Saturday unless Mulgrew is fit and I'd play Dack instead of Antonnson. 4-4-1-1. We've got a good bench theses days so  Graham , Chapman  can come on later if needed.

I'm not mad about Caddis but from what I saw on Saturday he did nothing wrong. I can see Nyambe getting his place back in the future though. Real competition for places. Just what you need. We have a decent replacement in every position, and  now we've got players to suit most situations up front.

We're not anything like the finished article yet in terms of organisation and patterns of play, especially defensively. I thought at half time on Saturday " We'll need more than one goal to win this because we look like conceding a goal ". OK, second half we got a grip of midfield and we played most of the game it the opposition half, we looked a better team for it but in the first half we looked vulnerable at times. Mainly when we either played a team mate into trouble or got caught in possession.

We've got a fair amount of talent but we need to channel it. 

A draw would be good and a win would be great.

19 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We could do a "Duncan Shearer" and buy him in January just to nobble our immediate rivals.

Hope he's better than the inferior Shearer though.

Great bit of business that - think he scored on his debut away Barnsley sending 6000 Rovers Wild, on 2 sides of the ground if memory serves me correctly. Goal machine at Udders and Swindon.

As for Scunny - same side please.

1-1 draw 

Iv never been a fan of changing a winning team but if Mulgrew is fit you can't leave a player of his quality out.

Wasn't at the match Saturday but going off the radio commentary and what iv seen previously I'd bench Antonnson and bring in Dack or Graham.

Heart says Scunthorpe 1-2 Rovers Head says Draw

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15528518.___We_should_always_strive_to_improve________Tony_Mowbray_wants_Rovers_to_continue_their_forward_momentum/?ref=mac

"I find this game a huge challenge after Saturday and the positive performance on Saturday in front of such a large following. It is a game that concerns me, they are very well organised, have a physicality about them, good at set plays, a goal threat, and it’s a difficult match for us"

The Tomonator sounding a word of caution after the giddy heights of Saturday. Buzz killer;)

First time posting for a while, usually just a board watcher ?, 

Good preview, some of the stuff on it even I didn't know and it's my home town, always been a rovers fan so never really followed scunny. 

As said on the preview there's a pub called the Berkley just up the road on the corner but it's a stan smiths pub so don't expect any fosters or carling. There's a pub/restaurant basically outside glanford park called the old farmhouse. 

You'll all be glad to know glanford park is only just off the motorway on a retail park, so you don't have to endure the delights of scunny ?

I'm hoping for 4 - 0 drilling so I don't get abuse all day at work tomorrow, but realistically I think we'll walk away with a 2 - 1 win. 

Looking forward to this one, new ground for me and most so I'd expect a decent following despite the midweek and number of games coming thick and fast.  A really tough test as well, don't think Scunthorpe are as strong in the middle as they were last year, I remember watching them in the play offs against MIllwall and despite losing over two legs Dawson in the middle was totally dominant.  Lost him to Bury in the summer and the lad they've brought in from Rangers is injured.  They are clearly solid defensively and Madden and Morris will be a handful for sure.

Still feel if we can have the same mentality and attitude as we had on Saturday we can turn them over.

Despite being a new ground for us, and as mentioned a relatively new ground overall they are supposed to moving to a new ground, been delayed for years but they did get planning permission, although did fall through but still in the pipeline.

As a general rule of thumb I don't like changing a winning side, but on this occasion I'd be tempted to bring Mulgrew in, if fit,  for Downing and possibly Dack for Antonsson, although now the latter has got a goal he might feed off that confidence and improve his all round game.

Tough one this and I would take a point right now.

I have 3 more days in the UK before returning home to Spain and after my day at Rochdale on Saturday, I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a ticket for me, my son and his partner. It is his birthday, so the perfect present will be bringing 3 points home. Hope we can do it, but it is certainly a tough match.

33 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

Next two trips are new grounds.

Mulgrew in for Ward and Dack in for Antonnson tonight please.

Go for the win and I think we'll get the three points.

It is interesting that a few people have pin pointed Ward as the one to drop out, not Downing. I thought the reviews of Wards recent performances have been that he was solid? 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is interesting that a few people have pin pointed Ward as the one to drop out, not Downing. I thought the reviews of Wards recent performances have been that he was solid? 

Can the old man hack two games in four days? I'd rather not risk him.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness I thought ward done what he needed to do against mk Dons and Rochdale (even though very poor) can only go off highlights for 1st three games. Of the two I'd probably leave Dowling off  as ward has had more games 

If Mulgrew is fit throw him in. Apart from that I'd keep the same team, send a message to players if they perform they'll keep their place.

Strong options off the bench with Dack, Chapman and Graham. No defender in this league wants to see any those three coming on with 25/20 mins to go when they're blowing out their arses.

I fancy we'll get a draw tonight myself, toughest test we've faced yet. A win would be fantastic.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

If Mulgrew is fit throw him in. Apart from that I'd keep the same team, send a message to players if they perform they'll keep their place.

Strong options off the bench with Dack, Chapman and Graham. No defender in this league wants to see any those three coming on with 25/20 mins to go when they're blowing out their arses.

I fancy we'll get a draw tonight myself, toughest test we've faced yet. A win would be fantastic.

Is this not contradictory? I suppose we can make an exception for captain fantastic :)

Ya, we have great options in attack. A bit of a headache for ToMo. Chapman is a real handful, but I like the solidity that Bennett and Conway bring on the wings. Chapman is  a serious weapon to have alright though 

Might have been the Coopers I was drinking, but didn't Graham look a little bit more like his old combatative self on Saturday when he came on? Hopefully being dropped knocked some manners into the chap. If he's fit and raring to go he could be an asset again this season.

I'm very, very interested to see how we'll line up tonight. The best I can hope for is a draw. Three points would be fantastic, like, but I'm nervous about this one.

Reading this thread and looking at the weather forecast, tonight will tell us much about the current squad.

Are they 3rd division rubber dinghy men more interested in their hair cuts? or are they 3rd division battlers that won't let a bit of wind and rain stop them from getting the 3 points?

Watch this space 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is this not contradictory? I suppose we can make an exception for captain fantastic :)

Ya, we have great options in attack. A bit of a headache for ToMo. Chapman is a real handful, but I like the solidity that Bennett and Conway bring on the wings. Chapman is  a serious weapon to have alright though 

He's a cut above anything we have and he's our captain. I think the other players will understand. 

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Reading this thread and looking at the weather forecast, tonight will tell us much about the current squad.

Are they 3rd division rubber dinghy men more interested in their hair cuts? or are they 3rd division battlers that won't let a bit of wind and rain stop them from getting the 3 points?

Watch this space 

It looks as if those early two defeats woke them up to what is required. From minute 1 at Bradford onwards we've gone after the opposition - harrying and snapping into tackles.

Now let's hope we don't see any complacency. We've got some excellent players for this level, win the battle too and we'll pick up plenty of points.

Archived