BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scunthorpe United v ROVERS

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Anyone think Whittingham has a role to play? We seem to be spoilt for choice in some areas at the moment.

It seems that Dack and Chapman may be having a bit of a meg off going by twitter, a bit of swagger at the right times is good as long as they don't get silly - and let's be honest Dack seems a Gazza like joker!

47 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Keeping three clean sheets away from home in a row is quite some achievement, especially as I feel many of us pinpointed this area as a real weakness at the beginning of the season. And that's against three of the best home sides in the league.

Just to expand on that...Scunthorpe had the 2nd best home record in this league last season (best was Sheff U, no longer here), Rochdale had the 3rd best, and Bradford the 5th best and were also undefeated. Very impressive results.

Probably get loaned out after xmas if things are going ok I don't think he came with sitting on the bench in mind he could have stayed at Cardiff for that.

Thing is Mowbray signed Whittingham and Dack to play a certain way and a certain formation then quickly found out it just wasn't going to work. Might do if we are ten points clear and overpowering teams by March but somehow I doubt it.  Bit slack by the manager really as he's tied a big lump of budget into those two but it's a long old season so you never know.

Mind you they might sell Evans in Jan ( he says from under his tinfoil hat )

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Anyone think Whittingham has a role to play? We seem to be spoilt for choice in some areas at the moment.

It seems that Dack and Chapman may be having a bit of a meg off going by twitter, a bit of swagger at the right times is good as long as they don't get silly - and let's be honest Dack seems a Gazza like joker!

I would prefer if they had a competition seeing who got the most assists or scored the most goals. No point celebrating nutmegging opponents unless the team benefits from it. 

Nice to beat something in claret and blue for a change ;) Hopefully that is a portent of better days to come.

I've said all along, football is a confidence game. Winning builds confidence, and scoring goals is the best way for strikers to find their form. Early days yet, but a real platform appears to be building.

COYB!

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-united-produced-best-performance-467617

Encouraging when their manager says it was their best performance of the season and yet we still won. A defeat sounds a bit harsh on them. Shame.

Sounds like that game is really going to stick in the craw for them. I momentarily felt sorry for Scunny when we scored, until I remembered who their manager is. Good! :D

Seriously though, if Alexander has a Scunthorpe side playing like that, he's going to be a wanted man in no time. They may even be worth a cheeky punt on promotion. What say you, @Mercer?

2 hours ago, Husky said:

Nice albeit slightly lucky win in the end. Though we certainly had the best chances, missing 2 absolute sitters.

I'd rather we had gone for the 2nd goal rather than try and keep the ball in the corner (badly) especially when there are a few minutes left.

What like we did against Preston last season, and dropped two points.

7 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Sounds like that game is really going to stick in the craw for them. I momentarily felt sorry for Scunny when we scored, until I remembered who their manager is. Good! :D

Seriously though, if Alexander has a Scunthorpe side playing like that, he's going to be a wanted man in no time. They may even be worth a cheeky punt on promotion. What say you, @Mercer?

He has a reputation for some very poor shocking language towards his own players so don't think so unless a club doesn't do its research.

4 wins on the trot........if we make it 5 on Saturday then I'll have to go on beta blockers I think. Lol.

No need to worry about still being in tenth. The League position is skewed by having played a game less and if we average 2 points a game over the whole season we will go up automatically. Its a cracking effort from the manager and players to hit that vital benchmark so quickly after the nature and manner of the opening 2 defeats.

Theoretically we look to have the quality and depth of squad to achieve automatic promotion but what the players have to do is not get carried away or complacent and take it one match and 3 points at a time.

6 games out of the way. 80 more points needed from the next 40 games.

Just now, rigger said:

What like we did against Preston last season, and dropped two points.

There was more chance of us scoring and putting the game to bed than keeping it in the corner for 5 minutes. It was ridiculous - in the end there was a gormless offside and Scunthorpe got down to Rovers end and had a chance to equalise.

A really good win despite playing poorly and for large parts looking distinctly second best. Raya had his best game in a Rovers shirt I thought and Mulgrew added some quality. There should be aspects of the performance that Mowbray would like to improve on but the bottom line is winning and that feeling is one that I want to get used to.

Archived