BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scunthorpe United v ROVERS

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Saturday will be interesting, they will come to frustrate us and try to get a point.

If we are too cautious I think we may slip up, therefore I hope we go attacking and try and get an early goal 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Saturday will be interesting, they will come to frustrate us and try to get a point.

If we are too cautious I think we may slip up, therefore I hope we go attacking and try and get an early goal 

Could it be time for Mowbrays 3-4-3?

Where is the Wimbledon thread, lets get the party started 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Can anyone at the game, comment how well the back 4 played and did Evans and Smallwood win their midfield battle? 

I was there and thought the back four played pretty well. Mulgrew as his usual self and won plenty in the air, pure timing some of them. He was also so composed when put under pressure particularly when bringing the ball out from the bac. There were at least 3 occasions when he coolly beat the forward with a shoulder drop and then found time to play a good ball forward. Ward was steady without being outstanding and I think he gains in confidence with having Mulgrew alongside him. I noticed before kick off, that Mulgrew was encouraging him, with a friendly hand slap. He did waste possession a few times, but fortunately wasn't punished.

Of the two full backs, Caddis was the weaker. One awful blunder in the first half, when he passed the ball out of defence and the ball hardly had the legs to get out of the penalty area. The Scunthorpe striker picked this up and had a shot at goal, but the shot was tame and Raya saved easily. Williams got a few good tackles in and I thought kept the crosses getting over with a few good blocks.

The clean sheet was deserved overall, but I am sure each member of the back four, will acknowledged the big part Raya played in that.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can anyone at the game, comment how well the back 4 played and did Evans and Smallwood win their midfield battle? 

I wasn't at the game, but watched it online...

Williams' confidence has shot up, so he's playing well. He's extremely useful in our attacking play I think, and defensively good last night. Saved us from dropping two points with his goal-line clearance.

Caddis is a very steady Eddie. Doesn't mess about with the ball when he's cornered, has good decision-making, and put it safely out of play when necessary. I think Scunny were targeting his position to attack last night, but he never faltered.

Mulgrew's defensive positioning is spot on, I think. He's quite commanding in the air, and made a number of good headed clearances. However, on the ground, I can't help but continue thinking "we've got a midfielder in defence". He's not really a bruiser of a player with his lanky stature, but I think he's a class act. Should have done better with his header from the corner in the first half.

Ward was awful, I'm afraid. Gave the ball away too many times, extremely slow... Was a real liability last night, I thought. I think Downing, even if he's more sleight than Ward, would be a better option for us.

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

Form and league position suggests they are struggling...play to our strengths,concentrate and points will be in the bag.

I take my 9yr old son to games with me. I know he is going to hear some colourful language but he knows not to use it. I would say  also I'm one that thinks there is a time and place but I find the best way to be in life is not to worry about other people. Anyway.... Fantastic result last night. Really looking forward to watching the game Saturday! 

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

ToMo! ToMo!

Reserving praise for the travelling support, Mowbray added: “I feel like a broken record, but they are amazing.

“I think it gives the players the sense of feeling that they are playing for a big football club.

“We were described in their programme as a fallen giant. The players have to know, the new players and the ones who have been a few years, they have to realise that the expectation at this football club is that never mind fallen, we can be a giant and hopefully we will be giant again.

“We have to come to places like this and win and that is what we have done, so I'm delighted for them.”

Just now, islander200 said:

You've got to like Mowbray's attitude regarding the club. He's got the happy knack of saying the right things. I suppose it helps if you're a basically decent and honest person.

Really don't understand why people are writing off Whittingham.

Most exciting of our summer signings, he played at Southend in which every single player played poorly, including Smallwood, Samuel, Bennett, Dack, Graham etc

Then he played an hour on the right wing in a ridicilious formation, and hasn't been seen since due to the form of Evans and Smallwood.

He will be needed again, yet for no reason really he has been painted as a Danny Murphy like figure.

55 minutes ago, lraC said:

I was there and thought the back four played pretty well. Mulgrew as his usual self and won plenty in the air, pure timing some of them. He was also so composed when put under pressure particularly when bringing the ball out from the bac. There were at least 3 occasions when he coolly beat the forward with a shoulder drop and then found time to play a good ball forward. Ward was steady without being outstanding and I think he gains in confidence with having Mulgrew alongside him. I noticed before kick off, that Mulgrew was encouraging him, with a friendly hand slap. He did waste possession a few times, but fortunately wasn't punished.

Of the two full backs, Caddis was the weaker. One awful blunder in the first half, when he passed the ball out of defence and the ball hardly had the legs to get out of the penalty area. The Scunthorpe striker picked this up and had a shot at goal, but the shot was tame and Raya saved easily. Williams got a few good tackles in and I thought kept the crosses getting over with a few good blocks.

The clean sheet was deserved overall, but I am sure each member of the back four, will acknowledged the big part Raya played in that.

53 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Williams' confidence has shot up, so he's playing well. He's extremely useful in our attacking play I think, and defensively good last night. Saved us from dropping two points with his goal-line clearance.

Caddis is a very steady Eddie. Doesn't mess about with the ball when he's cornered, has good decision-making, and put it safely out of play when necessary. I think Scunny were targeting his position to attack last night, but he never faltered.

Mulgrew's defensive positioning is spot on, I think. He's quite commanding in the air, and made a number of good headed clearances. However, on the ground, I can't help but continue thinking "we've got a midfielder in defence". He's not really a bruiser of a player with his lanky stature, but I think he's a class act. Should have done better with his header from the corner in the first half.

Ward was awful, I'm afraid. Gave the ball away too many times, extremely slow... Was a real liability last night, I thought. I think Downing, even if he's more sleight than Ward, would be a better option for us.

Thanks to both of you for that. 

Not seen anything much apart from Antonsson goal. 

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Most exciting of our summer signings, he played at Southend in which every single player played poorly, including Smallwood, Samuel, Bennett, Dack, Graham etc

Then he played an hour on the right wing in a ridicilious formation, and hasn't been seen since due to the form of Evans and Smallwood.

He will be needed again, yet for no reason really he has been painted as a Danny Murphy like figure.

He also played against Burnley and looked like he couldn't give a sh1t. He didn't want the ball and chickened out of challenges, not the player we need.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I was only saying yesterday that we hadn't got al like for like replacement for Conway. I'd completely forgotten about Whittingham. Given he started out on the left wing I'm surprised TM chose to play a 17 year old out of position instead of giving him a run out on the wing.

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

Went last night & to Rochdale. Ward offers something in the air, defensively and at set pieces. He just needs to do the simple things well with ball at his feet.

Mulgrew is cultured at this level. But (and I am not knocking him) he had to near hiccups: a poorly timed attempt at a tackle cum clearance in the first half after misreading a bounce of the ball and a spooned clearance straight up in the air  in our box (I think) toward the end.

Agree Caddis was being targeted; particularly in first half. What does he bring? Experience. He reads the game well and brings his experience to bear. 

Williams pulled off a fantastic tackle in the first half; redeeming himself after losing his man.

What continues to impress (and I can't honestly remember when I last thought this) is I feel like I am watching a team that is in it TOGETHER; I include the fans in this and the connection that is now being formed between the players and supporters. Not seen that in ages and it's brilliant.

Whilst the players have to do the talking with their feet (and any other body part!) we mustn't under-estimate the contribution the away fans have made in our recent successes away from home. Definitely the 12th man! Let's bring that spirit to Ewood and who knows what just might unfold!

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How far did Tugay run in games ? It's not how far you run it's wether the runs lead anywhere. I could seriously run all day when I played, it didn't make me a pro though.

Regarding the modern fascination with distance covered in a game, I can't recall who said it, but have the quote in my head something along the lines of 'If you're having to cover a lot of distance it usually means you're chasing after the ball/opposition'. My case in point to that would be Jason Lowe; ran around loads, chased shadows and was less visible than Paul Caddis's hair line. Of course I like to see work rate, but I think in isolation, the stat is futile. 

1 hour ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Went last night & to Rochdale. Ward offers something in the air, defensively and at set pieces. He just needs to do the simple things well with ball at his feet.

Mulgrew is cultured at this level. But (and I am not knocking him) he had to near hiccups: a poorly timed attempt at a tackle cum clearance in the first half after misreading a bounce of the ball and a spooned clearance straight up in the air  in our box (I think) toward the end.

Agree Caddis was being targeted; particularly in first half. What does he bring? Experience. He reads the game well and brings his experience to bear. 

Williams pulled off a fantastic tackle in the first half; redeeming himself after losing his man.

What continues to impress (and I can't honestly remember when I last thought this) is I feel like I am watching a team that is in it TOGETHER; I include the fans in this and the connection that is now being formed between the players and supporters. Not seen that in ages and it's brilliant.

Whilst the players have to do the talking with their feet (and any other body part!) we mustn't under-estimate the contribution the away fans have made in our recent successes away from home. Definitely the 12th man! Let's bring that spirit to Ewood and who knows what just might unfold!

Oppo always have to target an area and to be honest i'd rather them targeting Caddis than Nyambe who although quicker obviously struggles with his reading of the game and positioning given his age and lack of real experience. It was too easy to knock the ball in behind him when he's always caught that bit more forwards than he should be nearly every team did it repeatedly last season.

Caddis at present is imo a better option although he's far from perfect.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I actually think games like this Saturday are games he would revel in.

Opposition likely to sit deep and challenge us to find a way through.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Don't feel like hes got the energy for the wing, should be given a chance in the centre the next time one of Evans and Smallwood are unavailable.

I expected Chapman wide.

Could be you're right about his playing on the wing days are over. If either or Evans or Smallwood is out I'd expect Tomlinson to be given a chance.

Archived