BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scunthorpe United v ROVERS

Scunthorpe United - founded in 1899, and nicknamed The Iron after the towns association with domestic appliances   the iron and steel industries. They have traditionally played in (spit) Claret and Boo, although from 1969-1984 (ish)  they ditched it in favour of a more dignified red-rose-of-Lancashire coloured number, sported here by Ian Botham who played a few games for them in 1980:-

Image result for ian botham scunthorpe united

It was during the red kit days (1970's) that the club also produced the likes of Kevin Keegan and Ray Clemence. However, their greatest ever export was of course the legend that is Super Atko

Since 1988 they have played at Glanford Park, on the amusingly named Jack Brownsword Way (a famous player apparently), which at the time of it's construction was the first purpose-built Football League stadium in England since Southend moved to Roots Hall in 1955 (hopefully not prophetic given our performance there:o). Prior to '88 they played at the Old Showground (the 1st ground in England to get a Cantilever stand) which had apparently seen better days, although I think the structural problems were exaggerated:-

Image result for Scunthorpe Old Showground

The Old Showground was where Rovers played their last league game against Scunthorpe, a 1-1 draw in April 1973. This chap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Endean scored our goal. Shamefully, I've never heard of him.. He's now a semi-retired builder in his native Chester-Le-Street, or at least he was when http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/798/where-are-they-now-blackburn-rovers-1974-75/ was published. Good health, sir.

The current Scunthorpe team are managed by ex-Dingle and Nobber Graham Alexander, so I'm hopeful he'll be given the warm welcome he deserves by the travelling hordes. Their team contains ex-Rover Josh Morris, as well as the likes of Paddy Madden, Neal Bishop, Lee Novak and ex-Blackpool keeper Matty Gilkes. They're the only ones I've heard of anyway.

So far at home this season they've drawn with the real 'Dons' 1-1, beat Oxford 1-0 and yesterday drew 0-0 with lovely Gary Bowyers Blackpool. They could be a tough nut to crack, which incidentally was their first ever nickname ('tough nuts').

Here's a ground guide for all of you making the trip http://www.tothe92.co.uk/groundguide/scunthorpe.html Not sure how up to date it is though.

Here's a picture of the ground. The away end is on the left. Burnley were visiting on the day it was taken:-

Image result for glanford park scunthorpe

IIRC @AdamRochina of this parish is a Rovers fan from/living in Scunny so he'll probably be very happy to invite all of those travelling round to his gaff for a bit of tea before the match.

I'll go for a scrappy 1-0 win with Dack getting his first for the club.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good preview. Looking forward to a trip to Lincolnshire on Tuesday night and a new ground. As a youngster I always used to be fascinated with this ground with its 'mini - Wembley' design; obviously many new grounds have since adopted this generic design!

The Berkeley looks to be a decent pub near to the ground which welcomes away fans. I read on Facebook that we hadn't sold many tickets for this so far - surprised really as its only 2 hours away. Hopefully yesterday's result will shift a few more. Be good if we could take a 1000.

On a footballing note this will be a test of where we are really at. A win and it's game on in the promotion charge. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't start Chapman. Dack in for Antonsson and Mulgrew in for Downing if Champagne Charlie is fit would be my team.

Agree, Chapman has looked like a very menacing player to bring on from the bench and would keep it that way for now, especialliy in an away game. Chuck him on when legs tire and we possibly need a goal.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Agree, Chapman has looked like a very menacing player to bring on from the bench and would keep it that way for now, especialliy in an away game. Chuck him on when legs tire and we possibly need a goal.

That's my thinking, give him the last twenty five minutes to run at teams. I've only seen him once but he needs to get his head up more. When I played we had a saying for players like Chapman - " He dribbles when he comes to a pair of feet ".

He needs to come on for a wide player, probably Conway who looks like his 90 minute days are over. From the brief cameo on Saturday I wouldn't play Chapman directly up the front alongside Samuel, it's not his game.

If we play like we did in the first half on Saturday we'll struggle, play like we did in the second half and we'll be fine.

Raya

Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Smalwood Evans Conway

Dack

Samuel

If Dack is fit enough to start I would go with this, if he isn't I think I would play Chapman wide and Bennett behind Samuel.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Lot of aways coming up, just had a big followng to Rochdale, I believe we are near a sellout for Shrewsbury too, I always imagined this one would struggle to sell on a midweek.

In the Championship we were one of the smaller away followings and so opposition clubs weren't bothered about playing us midweek. Hence trips to Cardiff, Ipswich, Norwich, Brighton etc. on Tuesday nights. The home clubs weren't bothered because even on a Saturday we would only likely take 1,000 at most so better us only take 500 midweek and save the Saturday games for Leeds, Sheff Wed etc.

In League One however we are one of the big fish. Behind Bradford and Portsmouth we are likely to be the most supported away from home this season, especially so if we end up in the top 6 or top 2. Rochdale would have made a few quid on Saturday and there'll be a few others looking forward to playing us and us bringing a big away following (Oldham, Bury, Shrewsbury etc.). Had we played Scunthorpe on a Saturday I'm sure we'd have shifted 1,500ish tickets, whereas tomorrow it will probably be closer to 500. Will leave Scunny out of pocket on what could have been a big away following.

Imperative that we don't lose this one, but really need to keep winning to make up for that poor start. With favourable home games coming up against Wimbledon and Gillingham there are points to be had and ground to be made up.

Raya

Caddis Ward Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Smalwood Evans Conway

Graham Antonsson

I reckon he will start the above. I have a feeling if strikers are scoring, they keep their place. I would probably start Samuel over Graham myself. Definitely a case to be made for Dack, but I would like to stick with 2 upfront. 

Maybe the upcoming home games could be a good time to unleash Dack as we should have a lot of the ball and will need someone with a bit of guile. I reckon Whittingham will come in at the weekend too. We need to make sure Evans stays fit. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dack in for Antonsson and Mulgrew in for Downing if Champagne Charlie is fit would be my team.

I doubt Antonsson will be dropped after scoring on Saturday, and rightly so.

This match will probably be a far better litmus test as to our prospects than Saturday given Scunthorpe finished 3rd last season. They actually started off like a train last season and round about November time looked a decent bet for the title at big odds as I stuck them in a few accumulators but on this occasion the bookies had it right and they endured a wretched run from Christmas onwards barely winning a game. So hopefully we wont have too much to fear.

Team wise you'd have thought Mowbray would want to start with the eleven that just won 3-0 unless there are any injuries or niggles although personally Id like to see Dack and Chapman let loose from the off.

14 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I doubt Antonsson will be dropped after scoring on Saturday, and rightly so.

It shouldn't matter whether he scored on Saturday, the team needs to be set up in a way that maximises our chances of winning, if that means we play with only 1 up front, so be it.

Just now, RV Blue said:

It shouldn't matter whether he scored on Saturday, the team needs to be set up in a way that maximises our chances of winning, if that means we play with only 1 up front, so be it.

We played 4-4-2, and we looked good from start to finish in my opinion. A three-goal margin and a clean sheet away from home... I'm not sure that there's an argument for changing the formation, never mind the team, after a win like that.

I think this will be our toughest game of the season so far. They have a plethora of experienced League One players with a decent manager. They will be organised, fit and tenacious on what is one of the tightest pitches in the league. If we match them blow for blow in the basics we should get something. If we turn up with the wrong attitude we could end up with a bloody nose.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Dead right. 4-4-2 at home and maybe the " easier " away games. 4-4-1-1 away in the tougher games like tomorrow. No point playing Antonnson as the 1 behind Samuel, it's not his game and that's why we brought Dack in. 

I'd play Samuel and Graham as we did on Saturday. Let Samuel wear the centre halves out for 70 minutes first. Then bring Graham on.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think this will be our toughest game of the season so far. They have a plethora of experienced League One players with a decent manager. They will be organised, fit and tenacious on what is one of the tightest pitches in the league. If we match them blow for blow in the basics we should get something. If we turn up with the wrong attitude we could end up with a bloody nose.

Yup - wouldn't be disappointed with a draw - get a win and ill be delirious.

Just now, arbitro said:

Yeah your're right. We'll have to pick up were we left off in the second half on Saturday to get a result. A repeat of the first half, especially the way we passed the ball around at the back until we lost it in dangerous areas, will see us spanked.

30 minutes ago, Phil T said:

We played 4-4-2, and we looked good from start to finish in my opinion. A three-goal margin and a clean sheet away from home... I'm not sure that there's an argument for changing the formation, never mind the team, after a win like that.

Scunthorpe are a different proposition than Rochdale, we might need an extra man in midfield to get control of the game, like we did really well against Bradford.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Not sure if I've ever seen us play well with 1 up front. Play 2 up front and let them worry about us.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure if I've ever seen us play well with 1 up front. Play 2 up front and let us worry about them.

Just mentioned it above but we played really well with 1 up front against Bradford, and I think tomorrow's game will be very similar to the Bradford game.

Archived